Pajaro Street Bar and Grill

831-783-1235

435 Pajaro St, Salinas, California, USA, 93901

Serves meat, vegan options available. A community restaurant/bar with a variety of vegan choices labeled, as well as a few other dishes that can be made vegan. Try the veggie pie. Pesto is vegan. Gluten free menu available. Has a full bar with vegan cocktails, board games, televisions and an espresso bar. Live music every Friday night. Atmosphere is cozy, charming, with soft lights. Open Tue-Sat 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by PeaceLoveVeggies

Amazing!!!! - Edit

They had wonder Vegan and Vegetarian options. My wife had the Soy BBQ burger, and I had the Wild Mushroom Pasta with soy pesto cream sauce. Delicious. And the owner/host is great. Definately be back again very soon!

Pros: Great Vegan options!

Cons: N/A

pretty sad :( - Edit

I stopped by here after calling my order in, to-go. Since this HappyCow listing description said "try the veggie pie", I thought that was a recommendation, saying it was good. So I ordered it, (along with the spinach mushroom ravioli and pesto). Well, I think the author of this listing chose their words very carefully, and intended to play a sick joke on me.
The owner was friendly and chatted with me a bit as I paid, grabbed my to-go bag and headed out the door. The place is nice, and maybe I'll give it a chance again sit-down style, but ordering something else. And the vegan options are clearly labeled, which is great.

Ok as for the food. This "veggie pie", first of all, looked like something out of Dr. Seuss, the color was very vibrant. Its basically a (very small!) rectangle of different layers of cooked vegetable mush. The top layer was beets, I think? A bright fuchsia color. The next layer was a yellow sweet potato, then orange, mushy cooked carrot, and the bottom was grape leaves. It was dripping in a brown oil. The whole thing tasted sickeningly sweet, and I just didn't know what to think of it. I really tried to stomach it, but I only got two bites (which was half of this thing anyways - it was very small - not worth the $6.00!!) before I couldn't take anymore. So whoever wrote this listing either has tastes VERY different to mine, or they were trying to spread the misery they encountered when they, too, "tried the veggie pie".
The spinach mushroom ravioli with a cashew cream pesto sauce was good. Not the best I've ever had, but good. However when I first opened my box, I actually thought there had to be some mistake - is only half my food here? Did they forget to put the rest in? There were only 6 pieces of pasta. Maybe my perception was a bit warped because it was in a very large to-go container, but it definitely did NOT look like a full dinner-size of pasta, especially $13.00 worth. But I mean, it still tasted good.

Honestly, I think I would give the place one more shot. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot cause of the take-out order and the veggie pie. But the guy up front (the owner) was very nice, and there are several clearly labeled vegan items. I think I'll go again with my family and sit down, maybe try the black bean burger and see if I have s better experience.

Pros: several vegan options, clearly labeled, owner is very nice

Cons: very expensive for very small portions, a little sketchy looking, inside and out, veggie pie was horrible! pasta was okay

Return to Salinas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pajaro Street Bar and Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.