Padmanadi Vegetarian Restaurant

• Vegan
Contact 780-428-8899

10740-101 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5H 2S3

Edmonton vegan restaurant offering Asian food menu with items include veggie beef satay, fried vermicelli dishes, and other dishes. Offer a weekend vegan brunch as well as monthly all-you-can-eat buffet - see website calendar.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Buffet, Take-out, Asian, Indonesian

First Review by marben

On Point! - Edit

Really delicious and wonderfully seasoned dishes. We went here on our last night in Edmonton before catching the train to continue our cross-Canada journey. I wasn't expecting it to be so huge, but it has a lot of seating and what looked like a room for private parties. It seems like everyone drives in Edmonton, so it was odd to walk there and only see people struggling with life on the streets(pretty much the story of downtown Edmonton), only to walk in to a full, somewhat fancy restaurant, but I digress.

We ordered the satay chickn strips to share, and then the curry chickn and tom yum mutton. The mutton was so unique and good, especially with the fresh lemon slices in the sauce to give it a nice tangy flavour. It was too much for us to finish, but we were able to get it wrapped up, which we enjoyed on the train later that night. If you live in Edmonton, they also deliver according to their website. The woman serving us was also very attentive and friendly.

Pros: So much choice!, Unique faux meats and sauces

❤️ - Edit

Padmanadi is my favourite restaurant in the world. Thank you Kasim and family for sharing your amazing food with us, I hope to one day visit the original location in Indonesia.

I recommend everything on their menu, but my favourites are the curry chick'n, mushroom chick'n, bakmi goreng, and the chick'n strips as an appetizer.

❤️❤️❤️

All Vegan and Delicous - Edit

I went to Padmanadi twice while in Edmonton for work and will definitely go back every time I am in town. Their menu is huge and it all looks tasty. For dinner I had the chicken curry with rice, which the menu claimed was their signature dish. The faux chicken was great, as were the potatoes. I think next time I would pay extra to have additional vegetables, but it was still very good as-is. The yellow curry sauce was so good, and upon request they brought over a container of sambal to add some heat. The next day for lunch I tried the ginger beef lunch meal, which came with the soup of the day (mushroom), two spring rolls, tea, and rice. I was not as blown away with the ginger beef, but it was still pretty tasty, and the lunch meal was a great deal for the price. I also had their cheesecake of the day, which was mixed berry and very good. The interior is bright and cheerful and the service is great (and very fast). I will be sure to go back anytime in Edmonton.

Pros: Large, all vegan menu, Great variety , Delicious Food

hands down the best! - Edit

this is my fav restaurant not only because of the food but because Kasim and his family (actual family and staff family) are amazing. if you want a special dining experience for your stomach and your soul this is the place to go.

Pros: Staff AKA family, food, enviroment

Cons: cant go enough!, cant eat enough!, cant get enough hugs!

Everything. Is. Vegan. - Edit

Service was excellent and friendly, beautiful restaurant, food was AMAZING and everything on the menu is vegan. They also have alternatives to soy for anyone who is avoiding it. Portion sizes are hearty, priced extremely reasonably and there is gluten free menu available upon request. Worth the trip, we wish we went sooner!

Best food ever - Edit

We took two non vegans with us and they loved the meal. Recommended dishes are the chicken satay with lemon peanut sauce. Also the spring rolls were. wonderful. Crispy and fresh. The salty chicken strips are to die for. For main courses we had sweet and sour chicken, ginger beef and the chicken curry. All the side dishes were wonderful and tasty and fresh. Big portions.

Pros: All vegan menu. Great ambiance. Very friendly. Goo

Cons: None - just wish they would open a restaurant in C

Ate here 3x within a short visit to Edmonton - Edit

I could not get enough of the food at Padmanadi. On my first visit, I had the won ton soup. I hadn't had won ton soup for about 6 years, as I cannot find eggless wonton wrappers. Their soup was absolutely amazing, full of flavour, and had the satisfying taste I was looking for. I came back the next morning and had their hot chocolate and coconut French toast, which really hit the spot. I then came back another time for another won ton soup. I look forward to returning on my next trip to Edmonton.

Pros: Food is fanastic and full of flavour, Huge variety on the menu, Great environment

Cons: Can get a little pricey

Best place to take meat eaters! - Edit

Every dish is delish and even meat eaters will love it. Great atmosphere and refreshing not having to triple check that an item is vegan - just find something that catches your eye and order! my favs are salty chicken, curry chicken + potatoes, and ginger beef. cant go wrong eating here

Pros: 100% vegan, amazing food

Cons: a little expensive for a student

Good Vegan Food at the Padmanadi Restaurant. - Edit

Whenever I go to Edmonton I always go to the Padmanadi Restaurant.The atmosphere is friendly and the food tasty and nourishing. I don't however like all of the fake meat on the menu.I would definitely recommend this place to my friends when they go to Edmonton. It can however be very loud and noisy, not the place for a quiet intimate dinner.

Pros: Great menu selection, Great food.

Cons: Too Noisy, Hard to get a seat if on the weekend, Too much fake meat.

Best naughty vegan food in edmonton - Edit

Been here too many times to count, have brought meat eaters and they loved it. Alot of it is quite fatty but you can get some healthy options here if you want. that's never what I go for though hahaha. Give this place a try, you won't regret it!

Amazing First Time - Edit

After several recommendations my wife, son and I decided to go to for dinner. Food was excellent, service was great and quick. What a good experience overall.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 24, 2014

Friendly Staff and Modern Decor - Edit

I liked Padmanadi. We ate there for brunch and dinner on a recent road trip to Edmonton from Calgary. The whole restaurant is vegan. For brunch I had the vegan eggs benedict and the chocolate mousse for desert. The mousse was good, it tastes like the chocolate pudding/mousse I make at home from silken tofu. The eggs benedict was ok, it had too much veggie ham for my taste. But I liked the sauce and the tofu. The corn cakes that we had for appetizers were good too.

I really liked the staff, they were very friendly and helpful. At dinner they let me order the chow mein with extra broccoli, no mushrooms, and no cauliflower. The ginger gai lan was really good. The cheesecake with berry sauce for dessert was amazing. I like the decor and the atmosphere here. I wish they had a location in Calgary.

Pros: Modern Decor / Spacious, Good Desserts, Friendly Staff

Cons: Too much fake meat

Love this restaurant - Edit

This is by far my favourite vegan restaurant in the city. Their food is high-quality and the staff are always pleasant. I wish I could eat here more often because I always enjoy my meals when I do. Unfortunately, many other people also know how great Padmanadi is and it can be tough to get a table on Friday or Saturday nights. As a bonus, I feel completely comfortable taking my two pre-school children here - they provide them with plastic cups and utensils which makes my kids feel at home and I don't have to worry about broken glass.

Pros: Family friendly, Great food, Attractive restaurant

Cons: Can be very busy

Delicious! - Edit

I had stopped coming here for a while due to the prices and the quality having gone down-hill (in my opinion). However I came here on New Years Day and wow, what a difference! Their "meats" are now less squishy and their flavors and amazing. The decor is great, the service is great, lunch specials are reasonably priced and their weekend brunch is fantastic!

I highly recommend the ginger "beef" and curry "chicken".

A lot of their desserts seem to be sold out most of the time, if they could keep more stock that would be good.

Pros: Ambiance, Flavors, Selection

Cons: Location (parking)

So so good!! - Edit

When I come to Edmonton this is the first place I go! Try the salty chicken strips and the ginger beef! Even my carnivore dad loves it!

Pros: Good variety of dishes, Large portions

Cons: Not licensed, Hipster waiters can be slow and disinterested

Amazing! - Edit

I can't say enough good things about this place. This is always my first stop when coming back home to Edmonton. After a 14 hour drive from Vancouver we headed straight there only to discover that they had moved a few blocks away. Upon arrival I realized the new place used to be home of Sound Connection Records which I have fond memories of. Some of my favourite punk records were discovered in that space. Very fitting that the location is now home to Edmonton's finest vegan eats. I love it!

Cons: none

Chinese food that wasn't - Edit

We went for the first time on Friday night. They had live music and it was a busy place! It was buffet only, which we weren't aware of, but it turned out that it was well worth it. We got the opportunity to try some of everything! The food was all great! We were told by the waitress that all the food in the restaurant is vegan, even though they advertise as vegetarian. We joked about how much MSG must be in everything to make it taste so good - although I'm sure they don't use any.

The service was great, and they were able to answer all our questions. We are looking forward to going again - although next time we'll try to go when it isn't so busy! The building isn't the best for dispersion of sound, so when it's full, it's hard to hear the person across from you. Even so, it was worth it.

Pros: All vegan!, Live Music, Great Service

Cons: Very loud

Pretty good! - Edit

I love this place but I find it a tad bit expensive. Not overly but I won't be full unless I spend a good twenty dollars. The specialize in mock meats and they do it excellently, very flavourful and good texture. Lots of iconic dishes remade vegan. My favourite is the nasi goreng. I did unfortunately find all the soups I tried to be Bland. Their buffet is an awesome experience but don't go there in after work hours because its insanely packed and might take a hour to sit down.

Pros: Excellent Selection., Excellent Flavour., Cool Atmosphere.

Cons: Lots of deep fried., A little expensive., In an uncomfortable neighbourhood.

Great Experience - Edit

Always a favourite. Returned to Padmanadi for another great experience. Great food, staff, atmosphere. I want to try everything!

Previous review:

We came here straight from the airport and had a great dining experience. Friendly staff. Great vegan food. Amazing selection. Almost makes me wish I lived in Edmonton!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 28, 2010

Pros: Atmosphere, Variety, Staff

Cons: Location

Edmonton's shining star.... - Edit

Padmanadi is everything you'd want in a vegan restaurant. Challenging menu, great decor, friendly staff. The dinners are very good, though I've not been to a buffet. Try the Mongolian Chicken, it's a real treat. Personally, I think the best part of Padmanadi is their Saturday-Sunday brunch which should not be missed. They have an eclectic menu with standard stuff like French Toast - possibly the best vegan version I've ever had - and an awesome millet oatmeal, and also some incredible Thai fusion fake omelets. Easily one of the best vegan brunches I've ever had, and because I live here, I get to have it often!!!

Pros: Eclectic menu, Great staff

Excellent Restaurant - Edit

This is my 2nd favourite restaurant in Edmonton (Nourish taking the cake). It has great food, great service, and best of all despite the misleading menu its ALL vegan. I wish they had more gluten free options but what they do have is excellent and definately more options than some places. I visit at least once every trip I make to Edmonton. A must visit restaurant for vegans :)

Pros: All vegan, Awesome decor, Excellent service

Cons: Could be more gluten free options

Best Vegan Restaurant in Edmonton - Edit

Padmanadi is easily, hands-down, the best vegan restaurant in Edmonton. They have a wide selection of indonesian faux-meat choices which bring even omnis back for more. The monthly buffet is a huge hit, but they don't allow reservations on that day. There is a lovely private room at the back that large parties can reserve. I recommend trying the ginger beef, sweet and sour shrimp, or the spicy eggplant. The special lunch menu offers smaller portions with rice and spring rolls, it is a nice option for when you don't want a ton of leftovers. Another great thing about Padmanadi is the staff; the owner always stops by the tables to say hi when he is working, he is very personable.

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff, good value

Cons: often very busy, no resos on buffet days

Yay! - Edit

You can't live in Edmonton as a vegan and not love this place! They have so much variety, Kasim and his family are super adorable, and its always awesome in there. They usually have an all you can eat buffet every month for some holiday. Amazing! I can't say enough good things about this place!

Pros: Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME

Cons: Can get insanely busy during buffet, A little pricey

Disappointed - Edit

My girlfriends and I had planned a trip to Edmonton for a weekend visit. As a fairly recent vegan, I am always excited to share "my" food with others so I searched for a restaurant in Edmonton that catered to the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I read awesome reviews about Padmanadi so I lured my friends there with the promise of great things. Oops. I can only comment on the dishes we ordered: The spring rolls were enjoyed but the Crispy Corn Cakes were not that crisp and very greasy. The Eggplant and Chinese Toon dish consisted of only eggplant, not other vegetables; the sauce was not to our liking. The Mixed Vegetable and Rice dish was tasty but unremarkable. The Mutton dish did not appeal to any of our taste buds, nor did the texture. The lemon "chicken" was enjoyed. Hair was found in two of the dishes; one of these dishes was quickly replaced without hesitation but not deducted from our bill. I will say that the restaurant is lovely, bright and airy; great ambience. The staff is awesome - attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the food. The service was quick and timely. The presentation of the dishes was good. But I don't think I would eat there again. Being celiac as well as vegan left me with few choices, not just because many of the dishes were not gluten-free but because of the cross contamination in the kitchen. What was impressive is that the staff were well-versed in the dangers of gluten contamination and plenty of warning was given. It was a disappointing venture for us but, as I said, I can only comment on our food; their menu is quite extensive so I'm sure we missed some of the "jewels" available that would have been better suited to our taste buds!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good service, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not "wheat free" due to x-contamination

Great Vegan Cuisine - Edit

I went here twice in the two days I was visiting Edmonton. The food here was brought to us quickly and had great presentation. I found the prices reasonable and the food very delicious. As a vegan it was a rare treat to not to have worry if the meal contained meat products, nonetheless dairy and eggs. The staff were very friendly, and were able to create a very welcoming atmosphere. They even related back to what was previously said on our first visit. I am definitely going to make this stop on my next visit to Edmonton, and would recommend others do the same.

Pros: Wonderful food , quick , friendly staff

Superb - Edit

This has to be the most favourite vegetarian restaurant of all time.
Completely vegan- thus relaxing for vegans! Superb quality and tasting food,
excellent quick friendly service and lovely decor.
Owner - Kasim is a megastar and we adore him ( and his daughters!)

Pros: Completely vegan, Excellent food-corn cakes brilliant!, Quick friendly service

Cons: Prices have escalated recently, few raw food options

Our fave restaurant in Edmonton!! - Edit

Me and my hunny love eating at Padmanadi. They are 100% vegan so I feel safer eating here when I am missing the taste of cooked meat/foods. They have a nice ambiance, nice staff, great owner (Kasim is always so sweet to come and chat with us), big portions and very reasonably priced. We absolutely like this place. Extra stars for us.

Pros: Much healthier food, Excellent taste, Price is great

Don't judge a book.... - Edit

I recently had a wonderful meal at Padmanadi!! I am new to Alberta and I live outside of the city, 2.5hrs North to be exact, our meal was so worth the drive!! I am finding it quite difficult to find like minded people in beef county, but that night I felt at home! The service was very friendly & very quick, even though it was quite busy & our food was amazing!! My only complaint is the neighbourhood, we parked out back and had to dodge a path of used condoms!! Despite the hood we will be returning!!!

Pros: service, price, taste

Cons: location, location, parking

Asian Fusion Vegan Restaurant - Edit

This is the only all-vegan restaurant that I know of for Edmonton, so it is a relief for me to have a place to dine out where I don't need to worry about what I can and cannot eat. Most of the mock meats I've tried are convincing in taste and texture. The curry mutton is especially delicious. I wish, though, that there were more affordable options for couples who would like to try a variety of dishes. I also wish that there were some intimate, romantic seating areas. It is a very open dining area and it is fairly crowded.

Pros: delicious food, variety of vegan foods and drinks, convincing mock meats

Cons: pricey, no intimate seating areas, only one combination dinner for two

I Love Padmanadi! - Edit

One of my favorite restaurants!!! My two favorite dishes are the ginger beef and the coconut panna cotta. I love that it is vegan and I don't have to worry about animals products at all!! They are always helpful and accommodating to food restrictions as well which is a huge plus for me!
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 07, 2011

Pros: Accommodating, Amazing Food

anothet oasis for vegans - Edit

Lovely restaurant.
Using 'faux' meats is getting popular. However, this OS one of the best I have been to so far.
More expensive than Loma House, but is aimed at a different market..........
I will go back to Padmanadi, because I would be mad not to.

Pros: Awesome decor, Really tasty food, excellent service

Cons: Parking can be fun

I love this place!!! - Edit

Padmanadi is one of my favourite restaurants in Edmonton. I love being able to order ANYTHING off the menu, knowing it's vegan.

For appetizers, I like the spring rolls, pan-fried bean curd, and roti canai. The ginger beef is my favourite main dish, and it's the one I always recommend to meat-lovers. I also like their sweet chili chicken and spicy nuggets. For non-"meat" dishes, I'm a fan of the chili tofu--can you tell I like things spicy? :)

I've only had their brunch once, and I ordered the curried yam "omelette," which was interesting. I loved the root vegetable hashbrowns on the side.

I haven't been to the old location, but the new location has a great atmosphere, with live music on some nights. The service is awesome, and there is something for everyone--vegan and omnivores alike!

Pros: Delicious vegan food!, Cool atmosphere

A bit disappointed - Edit

I love this restaurant and the food - but what I don't like is the dinner menu for lunch. A while back they had a lunch menu and a dinner menu (this was great) and it has recently changed. I find that the dinner menu is way to much food for me at lunch. As a result I miss out on some variety. Because it is the dinner menu it is also more pricey. So this restaurant went for me - from being one I could visit weekly to an occasional treat. It's too bad.

Great Food - Edit

The bean curd drumsticks and satay were both excellent, omni family couldn't believe it wasn't real chicken. Ginger beef was also great. Will definitely be going back here next time we're in the area.

Pros: great food

AMAZING! - Edit

Pads is hands down the best place to dine out veggie style in edmonton. the friendly staff love to see you, the food is consistant and SOOOO YUMMY! if i remember correctly i had the mock duck, or something. we went as a group and all tried about 75% of the entree's and not one single dish was bad. they just kept getting better.

...after all this talk, im heading to Pad's right meow!

Pros: friendly, yummy, pleasant atmosphere

Cons: my picture isnt on the wall haha!

Going back again! - Edit

We visited this restaurant when we were in town for the Folk Music Festival. The staff was excellent and helpful and the food was the very best vegan fare I have ever had. Try the ginger beef, to die for.

My favourite - Edit

Padmanadi is my absolutely favourite restraunt. I have enjoyed every item i've tried and love their buffet days. My meat eating friends even love the artificial meat. The atmosphere is so warm and the staff are as friendly as they come! I can't say enough good things! Thanks Padmanadi!

Phenomenal Restaurant - Edit

It's so nice to be able to order anything off the menu! My vegan boyfriend and I have been there twice (in 2 weeks) and LOVE the food.
One thing we love is that the fake meat dishes come with SO MUCH, whereas there is usually a lot of veggie "filler" at other restaurants.

Easily our favourite restaurant in Edmonton.

Pros: great food, good prices, speedy service

great food, great atmosphere - Edit

this place is very popular. we went to the neighbouring vegetarian restaurant, oriental veggie house, on a saturday night, we were the only table. the next day we came in padmanadi, it was jam packed. we breathed a sigh of relief as we made reservation earlier. this place has great atmosphere. everybody seemed to having a good time. even though it was crowded, the service was very friendly and prompt. the food was delicious. we ordered 3 dishes and 2 appetizers, and they were all good. this is overall an excellent restaurant. one of the best vegetarian restaurants we have been around the world. well done!

Such a sweet little experience - Edit

The people here are so nice and the vibe is wonderful.
I love the food, everything is really good. Sweet corn cakes & spring rolls especially. I wish there were more dishes without fake meat, though. e.g. the "chicken" curry sauce with veggies or beans with sweet brown rice. However, this place is a regular for my family - who are majority non-vegetarians, and they all love it!
A buffet happens about once a month & it is an awesome way to sample many different types of dishes...YUM
Again, really nice atmosphere and charm. WAY THUMBS UP For an all-vegan restarant. Hurray! (I am getting hungry thinking about their food)

Pros: vegan, great hospitality, amazing food

Cons: hidden on a busy street

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Padmanadi Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12420 times since Aug 2007.