Pabu Grill & Sake

03-94196141

190 Smith St, Collingwood, Victoria, 3066

Serves meat, vegan options available. Japanese restaurant and bar but with a veg menu section offering around 19 items. Be sure to specify vegan. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 5:00pm-12:00am.

Categories: Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Tiggy

A little bit disappointing - Edit

I'm not usually that enthusiastic about "veg friendly" entries on HC, but I checked out the website of this place and there was a separate vegan menu, which was encouraging. We ordered from the vegan dinner menu and chose the grilled oyster mushroom, charcoal-cooked veggie skewer, agedashi tofu, grilled eggplant and mushroom salad. The wait staff were very friendly and helpful. I checked the vegan deep-fried items were cooked separately from any meat and was informed they were. Unfortunately I discovered a few minutes later that the grilled mushroom was not available because they had actually changed their menu and it seemed there was no longer a separate vegan one. The salad was a little bit grassy for me but did have some nice crunchy bits. The tofu was nice if just a little to sweet for me. The skewered veggies had no flavour, lacking the condiments (such as Parmesan) they might have had on a non-vegan menu and the eggplant was smeared with a very sweet miso sauce that I found sickly. Afterwards we felt like something else and ordered potato wedges. The menu said they were served with wasabi mayo or spicy mayo. I checked and these were not vegan (containing egg), even though they were listed on the vegan menu. While the food here wasn't bad, the experience reinforced my reservations about "veg friendly" restaurants.

Pros: Vegan menu

Cons: Some items changed without notice, Some 'vegan' items not actually vegan

Return to Collingwood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pabu Grill & Sake closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.