Ozu

• Veg-friendly
Contact 212-787-8316

566 Amsterdam Ave (at Upper West Side, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10024

Serves meat, veg options available. Fish is the only meat, otherwise vegan. Japanese macrobiotic cuisine. Offers lunch specials.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Kosher, Non-veg

First Review by FrankC

Very fine restaurant

This is a small, cozy, macriobiotic place--mostly vegan (with some fish). I have eaten here many times (at least 50 times over the past decade) and I must say that I have foudn the service to be very good. The food is very healthy and well prepared.

Pros: great food, good service, healthy

Cons: not completely vegetarian

Good Deserts

We happened to walk past Ozu after we ate dinner; however, we decided there was plenty of room for desert after seeing they had Vegan options. When we walked in the staff was very nice and accommodating. We ordered the Almond Cream desert and my bf got hot sake. Both were really good! We'll be back during our next visit.

Good Food / Rotten Service

The food is tasty and healthy, but the waitress most often on duty has a real attitude problem. She pretends to be nice, BUT just wait until she ignores you for 15 minutes (when you're there), puts you on hold for 10 minutes (when you dial for delivery) or point out her or the kitchen getting an order wrong.

She will NEVER apologize and she responds as though she really does not care at all about you or about good service. It is basically passive aggressive in the extreme. And it takes what should be a relaxing dining experience and ruins the mood.

Management (who is usually absent) really needs to replace their wait staff with professionals who have manners and whose ego does not depend upon abusing customers.

Pros: healthy, tasty, affordable

Cons: bad service, absent management, nasty waitresses

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ozu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1271 times since Aug 2007.