Oryana Natural Foods Market

• Health Store
Contact 231-947-0191

260 E 10th St (at Lake St), Traverse City, Michigan, USA, 49684

Established in 1973, this is a member-owned co-op market that is open to public. Stocks locally grown fresh produce including many organic plus other vegan and vegetarian grocery. Has a deli and runs the veg-friendly Lake Street Cafe.

First Review by Orchidgirl

Favorite Store! - Edit

I don't get to shop at Oryana very often, but I look forward to going every time I can. The staff is super helpful and friendly; they act like they've known you for years. Oryana always has really good selections, especially vegan options. Every time I go I'm surprised at how many options there are for just about everything. Going to Oryana is the one time I actually look forward to grocery shopping. They often have free samples, and I try something new almost every time I go. The Lake Street Cafe, inside Oryana, is my favorite restaurant; their vegan spring rolls with peanut sauce are to die for. For any vegans around Traverse City, this is go-to place for anything you could need. 5 stars!!!

Pros: friendly staff, lots of options, live, local musicians on specified days

Cons: expensive

Love it - Edit

The first time I walked in to Oryana, I was in heaven! I love the bulk wall - don't let it scare you! Just grab a bag, fill it up with as little or as much as you want, and be sure to use the stickers provided to mark the PLU for the cashier! So easy, and perfect for trying new things! I love that I can try a little bit without having to buy a huge, expensive container. Not only are there things like oats and beans, but they have spices, nuts, and different nut butters that you can buy in the same manner.

The store is always clean, well staffed, and filled with organic, vegetarian/vegan options. Many gluten-free options, soy-free...whatever you need! And if you can't find it, they'll order it.

My only complaint is that the aisles are very narrow. It's hard to navigate when the store is busy, but it's also a great thing that this store is getting a large amount of business!

Pros: Helpful staff, Meets different dietary needs, Organic produce

Cons: Narrow aisles

Best Place in Town for Healthy Food - Edit

If you are used to shopping and eating at Whole Foods stores, this is the next best thing and it's a fantastic natural foods store for such a small town. The store is bright and clean and the cafe has great organic coffee, fresh juice, and smoothies. Their soups are consistently good (not too salty) and decent selection of deli foods, sandwiches, salads, etc. They make their own bagels and I must say these bagels rival any you might find in NYC or other large metro area. There are plenty of options for vegans and gluten-free folks too. I feel like I am getting good quality food and not cheap, factory-farmed meat and pesticide-laden fruit/veg. They use a lot of locally procured foods in their deli. Not to miss if you want a fresh, healthy meal.

Pros: Great staff, Live music, Good selection

What a find! - Edit

The Lake Street Cafe, inside Oryana, is amazing. Try the Grilled Veggie Panini with avocado, yams, red pepper, red onion, tomato and sundried tomato hummus on 7-grain bread. Also fabulous is the Tempeh Reuben and the "Hot to Trot Vegan" Sandwich with dill tofu salad, spicy pickled veggies, red onion, sprouts and tomato on North Country bread.

Incredible selection of organic juices and smoothies. I love this place!

Check it out! - Edit

I have been to Traverse City multiple times for business. I rely on the small eateries downtown and find I am often craving something else. Oryana is what I have been missing all these years!!! I went in for lunch based upon what I had read here on Happy Cow. Without the urging of others, I would have missed this gem!

There is a huge food selection (including body care, vitamins, etc) and a wonderful little cafe. There is a grab-and-go ready made food case that is just incredible! Several things were vegan (and VERY clearly marked!), as well as a soup bar! Sandwiches are sold in full and half sizes (perfect for making a soup and sandwich meal, or grabbing two halves to try different sandwiches!). I ate two sandwich halves, and both were AMAZING! I was so impressed with everything I saw - I will be headed back for breakfast and lunch every time I am in the area! A real must-visit!

Pros: Great selection, Grab-and-Go selection, Huge store with friendly staff!

Hidden Gem in the Hubbub - Edit

I've been visiting the Traverse area for years and just discovered this little gem thanks to HappyCow. Oryana boasts a sparkling store stocked with a wide variety of reasonably priced goods, not to mention a friendly/informative staff. Giving my children a free piece of produce on their visit, I was shockingly delighted!

So Cal Girl LOVES Oryana! - Edit

My family and I live in Southern California and vacation for 6 weeks every year in Traverse City. It wasn't until my second summer that I discovered Oryana. OMG.....it is by far, my absolute favorite store in the entire universe. Seriously! Who knew in such a small town that you'd find a co-op with such great products.

I can't wait to get back and make Oryana's my first stop!

Pros: Excellent EVERYTHING!

YES - Edit

Very good selection!!! Good cookies. Ok prices. I didn't try any of the sandwiches but they had a lot of vegetarian and vegan options. I go here every day when I am in Traverse City. Excellent idea with the bulk dispensers. They are X-cellente.

Pros: wide selection, vegan foods, organic

Cons: none whatsoever

Best Health Food Store/Co op I've been to! - Edit

This place is FANTASTIC! The selection is superb and the deli/juice bar is equally great. They even make their own tofu/tempeh/soy sausage!! I've never been so impressed by a health food store!

Oryana Rocks! - Edit

Recently expanded, Oryana Natural Market is the place to shop in Traverse City for a full array of organic and health foods & vitamins and other products. The deli has great sandwiches, salads, and pre-packaged food to go. I thought I would starve when we first moved to the area, until I found Oryana - like an oasis in a wilderness of junk food.

Pros: Newly expanded w/deli, Member owned, Superb Selection

Return to Traverse City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Oryana Natural Foods Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1961 times since Aug 2007.