Orient Experience

Cannaregio, Rio Tera' Farsetti 1847/b, Venice, Italy

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small restaurant with a broad selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes from various countries of the Middle East, like falafel, hummus, and a few rice dishes. Food is displayed buffet style for take out or inside dining.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by veggylvr

Only 4* because not allowed 5 unless fully vegan. There is so much vegan that you hardly notice they do meat too! - Edit

Delicious middle eastern food. Huge menu that changed each time we were there, with VEGAN clearly written next to vegan items. At least half, if not more, of the menu was suitable for vegans. Lots of rice, cous cous, vegetables in different sauces, aubergines, courgette, houmous, etc.

Each thing is a small, tapas sized portion. You choose 2, 3 or 5 things (2 for 10 euros, 3 for 12 euros or 5 for 15 euros). By the time you have 5 things, you have a huge plate of hearty food for only 15 euros.

Drinks and bread do not count as 'things' but were reasonably priced (2.50 for a soft drink, 3-5 for a beer).

There is a small service charge, 1.50 per person.

And there are customer toilets (it's hard to find loos in venice!)

Other reviews mention barely any tables but now they have quite a bit of seating inside, as well as about 6 or 8 tables outside. We never struggled to sit (though we did go for 5-6pm meals, maybe later in the eve it gets busier?

The place is not labelled/titled outside at all. They have painted white patterns on the glass outside, as well as tables out. The address on Happycow is correct. It's down the street next to the TIM (big phone shop) that's near the Despar supermarket. The street is called Rio Tera' Farsetti, the building number is 1847/b. It's closer to the bridge at the other end of the street than it is to the TIM. You'll know you're there when you see the 1847/b on the wall and see the glass front of the building with the painted white patterns on it.

Pros: value, delicious, so much is VEGAN

Cons: nothing

Excellent, cheap middle eastern food - Edit

Offers a good range of standard middle eastern , north african and indo-pak snacks. You choose 3, 5, 7 items and pay accordingly. Good flat bread, hummus, rice, felafel, aubergine in tomato sauce.

Pros: Good food, Cheap - 9 Euro for a large plate!, Fast, friendly service

Cons: Dhal was a little watery, Very popular, so might be full!

A taste of Orient in Venice! - Edit

Very small restaurant with 4 tables ; you can have a plate for 8 euros with 3 different dishes. The woman was lovely, and when I asked for vegan plate, she took time to explain me all the dishes. We arrived at 4pm and the stand was still full, and so were we when we got out!!

A Delicious Discovery in Venice! - Edit

Although we had a very difficult time finding Orient Experience, we're really glad that we did! My iPhone and my partner's Google Maps were totally confused by the small winding streets along the Venice canals. We were just about to abandon our search when we found the right location.

The place is very casual. You order at a counter and the food is delivered to your table. But that's where the fun begins. The dishes were all delicious, well seasoned, exotic and interesting. They had a variety of Vegan and Vegetarian options as well as a few meat dishes. Being Vegan, we feasted on spinach with garbanzo beans, a zucchini stew with tomatoes, a savory roasted eggplant dish,a lightly curried vegetable dish and an amazing long grain rice with caramelized onions and small green lentils. All of the dishes were inexpensive and delicious.

Beer and wine are both served along with an assortment of non-alcoholic beverages. Seating is limited to a few tables inside and a few more outside in front. Take out food is also available. The chef/owner was very pleasant and kind and made two English speaking Americans feel very welcome in her establishment.

If you're tired of pizza and pasta during your next trip to Venice, be sure to check out this wonderful little discovery. The portions are generous, the prices are reasonable and the place has a great local vibe.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 10, 2015

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive, Good Variety

Cons: Difficult to Find, Even Google Maps couldn't get us there!

Good takeout - Edit

I stopped by this place on a recent stay to bring home lunch for my sick partner. The vegetarian and vegan options are not clearly labeled, but the staff were very helpful in identifying a few vegan items. We had a tasty eggplant dish and some rice and lentils. I agree the falafel is not what I'm used to in the US, but I still enjoyed it. And the best part was the price. 12 euro for lunch for two! Given the limited vegan options in Venice, I'm really glad this place was nearby.

Pros: inexpensive, helpful staff, vegan options

Among the few veggie options in Venice - Edit

Our hotel clerk recommended this place when I asked if there were any middle eastern restaurants. I was thinking Greek, as I was really craving hummus, but Orient Experience offers dishes from Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and more, which is quite unique. But first, we had to find it! Everything is hard to find in Venice, but this took us hours of searching. I'll save you some time - you turn at the "Tim" (mobile phone) store. Left or right depending on which direction you're coming from, but wander down the street by the "Tim" store and, hopefully, you'll find this little hole in the wall place. The dishes are displayed behind a case, buffet style, so you pick what you want. There was vegetable biryani, couscous, some vegetable rice and curry-style dishes, hummus, and falafel. It can't be guaranteed how these are cooked, as this isn't a vegetarian place, and they do have lamb and other meat dishes, but if you're tired of the pizza/pasta options in Venice, this place at least provides an alternative. The falafels weren't very good, not like I expected a falafel to be, or the way they're generally made in the US. The vegetable rice and hummus were quite good though. However, they oddly don't serve bread, or didn't the day we were there, so there was nothing to eat the hummus with. This seems to be more of a takeout/delivery place, though there are a few tables. Our hotel clerk said they ordered delivery from them all the time and the food was good.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 14, 2013

Pros: Veggie options in Venice, Inexpensive, Offeres delivery/takeout

Cons: Hard to Find

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Orient Experience closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.