CLOSED: Organic Lives

Contact 778-588-7777

110 8620 Glenlyon Parkway, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, V5J 0B6

A living foods restaurant with weekly changing specials, a juice and smoothies bar. In partnership with Galloways. Relocated from 1829 Quebec Street, Vancouver. Jan 2014 confirmed shut down.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering, All Raw

First Review by Deneige

Lack of ambiance but great raw food - Edit

The food is great, the location is great but it's a shame that the inside of the restaurant feels more like a warehouse than a restaurant. It was redone recently but still doesn't feel quite right. Having said that, I expect they prepare the food in the back that gets sold to Whole Foods and other specialized stores. All the smoothies and fresh juices we tried are delicious. My favourite dish right now is the Pad Thai made with kelp noodles and coconut noodles. The spices are just right! The pizza as well are so yummy. The miso soup (warm) is the best we've ever had. Desserts are great but quite expensive. We usually share as they are rich in flavours and calories.

Pros: Pad Thai, Great presentation

Cons: Lack of ambiance, Noisy blenders in the background

Pick the right dishes for a great experience - Edit

I think you need to know what to order to get a great meal here. Not all dishes are great, but the ones that are are fantastic. I've been twice in the past weekend and these are my recommendations (great food has been starred):

*Hot Pink- A delicious blend with beet, pineapple and pear. Sweet but not cloyingly. Tasty, with a hint of burdock.

Deep Cleanse- Oh my gosh, this is an acquired taste. Strong. Intense ginger and lemon flavours. Too much for me. I would not re-order since it is so powerful, it would compete with any other food.

Super... smoothie- Tasted like a malty chocolate banana smoothie with a bit of murkiness (probably from the mesquite, lucuma, etc.). I wouldn't order this again because I can make a delicious maca+banana smoothie easily at home although you get the benefits of all the other superfoods thrown in there.

*Carrot Avocado Veloute - Delicious. Creamy, rich yet light with a lovely hint of dill. I was hesitant to order a raw soup but this was great (served at room temp).

*Mexi Spirals - Lovely! Fresh vegetables with a tangy spicy dressing. Enjoyed these.

Cesar Salad- Liked the almond croutons but did not think the dressing stood out as anything great.

*Sicilian Wrap - Really enjoyed this. The sauce made this a great wrap and the wrap was nicely flavoured as well. Filled with sprouts. Really enjoyed this with a side of a large carrot avocado soup.

*Sprouted Pecan Sushi with Avocado and Mango- While there are only small pieces of mango and avocado, I found these to be delicious. They held their shape well and tasted great. The dipping was had a bit too much kick in large quantities, but complemented it well.

Lasagna- Thrown off because this was served cold. Not particularly flavourful and seemed a bit heavy. I've had better raw lasagnas elsewhere.

Spring Roll with a coconut-pear wrap. I was disappointed the coconut and pear was in the wrap and not INSIDE the wrap. However, the wrap was nicely flavoured and the sauce really made it nicely flavoured. I loved how it was overflowing with sprouts and veggies. The kelp and zucchini noodle salad was ok, nothing to write home about. Zucchini was way more plentiful then the kelp noodles, so I thought the description on the menu was misleading.

The Ridiculous - A dark chocolate cake. Rich without being heavy. Not worth $7.

The OMG - A nice coconut pie, but served chilled like ice cream. Would not order again.

Hope this helps you pick out great meals!

Cons: ambiance

Tasty, creative menu made w/ quaility ingredients - Edit

I've eaten here many, many times and loved it each and eery time! The food is super tasty, creative and excellent quality. If you're into raw food, or are looking to experiment, it's a great place to visit. Hands down, it's one of my favorite eateries in Vancouver.

Pros: Creative menu, Excellent food

Best desserts - Edit

I'm not a raw food fan normally, but the desserts at Organic Lives blew me away. They taste better than any baked dessert I've ever had. The tiramisu is just like the non-vegan tiramisu I've had a long time ago before I went vegan. The Oh My God pie is made of one ingredient only - coconut. And it does make you say OMG when you bite into it. Those desserts can win anyone over to a raw food diet!

Pros: great desserts, creative and fine raw food

Cons: lack of ambience

Raw, Vegan and Organic - Edit

I really like the pecan sushi and the super chocolate smoothie. While I appreciate the fact that the entire menu is raw, vegan and organic, I find the service too slow, the seats uncomfortable, prices high and the portions meagre. I've spent $30 and not been satisfied. The place doesn't feel like a restaurant. It feels more like a warehouse and I often find the noise from the coolers, compressors, blenders and other kitchen machinery very annoying. It lacks ambience.

Pros: Tasty food, Free parking, All organic vegan menu

Cons: Too expensive, Small portions, Very noisy machinery

Contributions +19

Delicious - Edit

I have been here many times and I love it. The 'Ridiculous' chocolate dessert is my favorite! I also really enjoy their different kinds of sushi. However, the only thing I don't like from OrganicLives is their soups. A friend and I ordered 2 different soups and neither tasted very good.
I love that it is open everyday and also sells products such as appliances, and different raw goodies to take home.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 20, 2010

Pros: good hours, friendly staff, macaroons!

Raw food only - Edit

I had the zuchini fettucini alfredo and didn't really like it, as a vegan that enjoys cooked food. The stuffed marinated mushrooms were really good, very flavorful. I think it's important to order something that is normally cold if you aren't into raw foods. Everything is very fresh and healthy, but expensive.

Raw Delights - Edit

I've been a few times now with my family, and we just went again the other day. We each had a drink and two slices of pie each. It was very tasty and my kids loved it as always and were stuffed. It cost over $60 for that meal for myself and two kids (that ate just as much as I did). So you're looking at $20 each, at least. I consider the price to well reflect the quality, attention to detail, cleanliness, and the overall experience of the meal.
Whenever one eats such a level of quality you really do get what you pay for. The owners were on hand and between work were greeting customers and seeing that they were enjoying their meal (I was asked three times by three different people, so that's great). The kids really enjoyed sitting at the bar to look through the window to watch staff preparing food while eating. I also love their hours, we had already stopped at three other restaurants to find that they were closed -- Organic Lives are currently open 7-days per week, 9am-9pm, you just cannot beat that!! Just awesome hours!!

Pros: quality, organic, hours

Organic lives - Edit

My girlfriend and I stopped by for the first time yesterday for dinner, I had the pizza with caesar salad, my girlfriend had the lasagna and caesar salad and vanilla chai smoothie, I had a deep cleanse juice. Everything was awesome and really good value for the money ! We also had dessert tiramisu and Chocolat Ganache....really really good !

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, It's in our neighborhood too !

Pros: delicious, great value, friendly staff

Cons: limited seating

Amazing place with the best prices! - Edit

Full wholesale/retail area with the best prices I have seen in the city for raw essentials such as Maca, Mesquite Powder, Coconut Water, E3 Live etc.

It is a full production facility with a deli to-go counter and a full sit-in menu with a larger selection. The environment is lacking being a warehouse type space but for a quick bite and some shopping it is perfect.

Sandwich wrap was amazing!!!! So great to see an unpretentious place to get some real food. The menu was fully raw and inventive. The owner mentioned that they are still expanding on it as well.

PS. Full juice bar as well :-)

Pros: Juice Bar, Amazing raw food menu and deli, Great Prices on groceries!

Cons: Not a lot of seating

Return to Burnaby Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Organic Lives closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4257 times since Nov 2009.