Organic Harvest Market and Cafe

205-978-0318

1580 Montgomery Hwy Ste 12, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, 35216

Serves meat, vegan options available. Grocery store with lunch cafe and juice bar. Sells a wide range of natural and organic food, and nutritional supplements including organic produce, books, bulk staples, organic and sulfite-free wine.

Categories: American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by _bean

Great lunch! - Edit

I stopped in their cafe for lunch and loved it! They had mock chicken salad in their case and made a sandwich for me. The woman behind the counter was very nice and made sure to let me know the vegan bread options without me having to ask. I had my sourdough bread toasted, and the sandwich was so good! I also had some vanilla chia pudding. Yum. All the prepackaged stuff was very clearly labeled vegan/vegetarian and they had several choices in each category. The store was very nice as well. Small but nicely kept up and had lots of vegan options. I'll be back when I'm in the area!

Pros: clearly labeled, good service, vegan options

Cons: serves meat

Nice little market with vegan-friendly dining - Edit

Organic Harvest is one of my weekly shopping stops. After much research, I've ascertained that they have the lowest prices on bulk dry goods in the Birmingham area(vs Whole Foods and Earthfare). They have just about all of my staples(garbanzo, flax, nooch, coconut, lentils, quinoa...etc) which makes it easy for me since I don't have to hit 3 different stores to stock up.

They have a good selection of locally-sourced items as well...honey, produce...etc. Sometimes The quality or condition isn't what you'd get a publix, but that's typical for farm-to-table anyway.

I also occasionally visit their dining counter for lunch. They have a great selection of non-veg, vegetarian, and vegan options. You can order off of the menu and have your food prepared for you, or you can choose from a selection of items(also usually from the menu) prepared that day and ready to carry out. The plus here is that everything is clearly labelled(once you figure out the nomenclature) as vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free...etc, so there's no guess-work. Vegetarian offerings include sandwiches, soups, and salads, while vegan options seem to be limited to soups and salads(including cold grain salads). I'm a fan of their curry quinoa and cashew salad, and the southwestern black rice and spinach salad. Yum. They also have smoothies.

The only semi-negative I can think of is that their selection is "wider" than it is "deep". They do offer a wide variety of items, but not a huge selection of each item. For example, they DO carry kosher marshmallows, but they only have 1 brand(and it's not dandies). Also, they do carry some meat substitutes, but the selection is very limited as well. So you'll probably be able to find what you're looking for, even if it's not the exact brand you're seeking. To be fair, this criticism is not universal...for instance, there are at least 8 different options if you're looking for coconut oil and they carry every variety of veganaise that I'm aware of(in multiple sizes).

Lastly, they have 2(I think) full aisles dedicated to vitamins, components, and herbals. I'm not really into that, so I mostly don't know what I'm looking at, but the selection appears to be vast.

In sum, even though Organic Harvest doesn't specifically market or cater to vegans, as a vegan I'm glad we have them.

Pros: Cheapest bulk prices in town, Vegan Options at take-out counter, Huge herbal/vitamin array

Wonderful people, but needs more vegan options - Edit

Organic Harvest is a pleasant, family-run business. Everyone working there is extremely knowledgable and helpful, and the recently expanded store is well-organized. We are consistantly able to find many things difficult to locate in other stores, such as Daiya 'cheese"; however, Organic Harvest should invest more in their vegan clientele by adding more vegan 'meat' substitutes. Overall, though, we love Organic Harvest!

Pros: Friendly, Knowledgable, Well-organized

Cons: Sells meat, Needs more vegan products

Good neighborhood health food store. - Edit

Pretty basic health food store. The most knowledgeable staff in town. And I understand they treat their employees well.

They've always got great discounts on a wide variety of stuff. A well stocked bulk section.

Great juice/smoothie bar. I think they've got the only wheatgrass in town.

The owners and a fair amount of the staff are of the Christian health food sort.

Return to Birmingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Organic Harvest Market and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.