Organic Deli Cafe

Contact 01865-364853

24 Friars Entry, Oxford, England, OX12BD

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family-run cafe in Oxford city centre offering mainly house-made bread and food like sandwiches, wraps, pitas, bagels, jacket potatoes, and soups. Open Mon-Sat 7:30am-8:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, British, Non-veg

First Review by Gastroplodder

Tasty, organic, vegan. - Edit

I was there only one time and I want to taste more. My vegan falafels with hummus were very tasty but I had to wait too long. I hope that next time I will get a little faster my meal and I think thaht portions should be bigger. Anyway, I can recommend it to you ;)

Pros: tasty vegan food, good value

Cons: small portions, too long waiting

Friendly staff but food not so great... - Edit

This is the first place we stopped for a snack in Oxford after arriving in the late afternoon. I knew they had fair trade coffee so that's what attracted me originally. When I noticed a vegan banana cake in the cabinet I ordered a slice just because I could. Unfortunately, while the staff were very friendly, the cake was distinctly dry and unappetising. We returned the next morning because it was the earliest place to open that I knew had a vegan breakfast on offer. Again this was something of a disappointment: rubbery, flavourless vegan sausages, bland bubble and squeak (with diced carrot, unwelcome for me, but also eggplant and mushroom). On the upside, there was a decent amount of toast (which many cafes lack) and (the highlight) very well executed fried potato slices (crisp but not dry). I would come here again for coffee or to purchase organic whole foods, but I'd need some convincing to have breakfast here again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Early opening time, Fair trade and organic

Cons: Prepared food not amazing

Nice place, with good vegan options - Edit

Like the review below me says, as far as main meals go, it seems like the only vegan option is a falafel and houmous toastie. But also like the review below me says, it's pretty incredible. The veggie breakfast is also vegan, and is fairly good.

They also do vegan flapjacks and other sweet things, and sell a few grocery items. And the staff are very nice.

Pros: Falafel and houmous toastie is great

Cons: Only one or two vegan options

Delicious but limited choice for vegans - Edit

When we went to this place and asked for vegan options, we were pointed out a single item on the blackboard menu which was a falafel humus sandwich. We ordered it and I must say this was probably the best humus sandwich I have ever had. So even though there was one vegan dish only at least it was incredibly tasty and fresh.
There were lots of vegan smoothies to choose from. We had one with blueberries, almond butter and banana which turned out to be way too sweet (too many dates, I guess) for any of us to drink. Also, it cost over 5 pounds which I found too expensive.
The owner was very friendly and quick to prepare our orders.
I couldn't figure out why the take away prices were SO much lower than the eat in prices. Especially at an organic place, it should be the other way round if you want to prevent extra rubbish from filling up the earth.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice vibe, Friendly staff

Cons: Slightly expensive

Vegan-friendly cafe - Edit

This cafe is very vegan-friendly, with a vegan breakfast and other lunch options like jacket potatoes, salads, and sandwiches. For gluten-free vegetarians, there are even more options. My favourite lunch is a jacket potato with hummus and roasted veggies (trust me, it's really good!). The cafe also offers lots of different non-milk options, such as soy, rice, almond and oat. It also sells some groceries, including flours, dried goods, and teas. The owner is really friendly and helpful for explaining what is and/or can be made vegan. The cafe was recently refurbished and there's a nice seating area upstairs.

The downside is that with a small kitchen and limited number of staff, the service can be slow if the cafe is busy. It's best to go here if you have time to sit and do some work while waiting for your food. Free wifi is available.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 02, 2013

Pros: friendly staff, good food/good value, nice atmosphere

Cons: not fully vegan/vegetarian , can be slow

Good vegan choice in central Oxford - Edit

I've visited the Organic Deli Cafe a couple of times recently and will be there again soon. I had their vegan breakfast one time which proved to be a healthy and tasty version if a little unusual with sausage, roast Mediterranean veg, mushrooms and some of their excellent artisan bread. They had soya milk in for tea. Today I had coffee and 1 of 3 clearly marked choices of vegan cake, my friend had tea and while they had run out of soya milk they were able to offer rice milk instead.

Pros: Healthy, organic food, Several vegan options, Nice staff

Cons: Can get over busy and a bit chaotic

Return to Oxford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Organic Deli Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.