On's Thai Isaan

Contact 087-0600273

Maenamkwai Rd, Muang Kanchanaburi (at opposite Tesco Lotus), Kanchanaburi, Thailand, 71000

Small vegetarian restaurant specializing in Thai Isaan food. Most mains are vegan and has smoothies. Variety of curry dishes including green, masaman and panang. Host Thai vegetarian cookery classes. Located on the main road opposite Tesco Lotus Express - look for the big green sign.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai

First Review by taralea

incredibly good! - Edit

Must go place of you are in the area! Served us one of the best thai foods in our whole trip for a great price. Highly recommended!

Pros: All veggie, dishes cooked in front of your eyes, great Taste, great price

Excellent food - friendly family busines - Edit

The food is excellent at On's. Note that her shop has moved on the other side of the street.

We had the curried fried rice and pancakes for dessert. Abolutely delicious. Favourful.

We had a thai cuisine course yesterday and we were able to attest On's traditional cuisine perfect techniques. (She, also, gives cuisine courses)

Pros: Vegan, Friendly

very good, well-priced, lots of options! - Edit

Came here with a group of 4 and ordered Masamon, Panang curry, pineapple fried rice, and pad see ew. The banana shakes with coconut milk were delicious.

I highly recommend! Fast service! The food is very spicy, so make sure that they know if you need it "my Phed na ka" (not spicy). I told them, but all of their food was too spicy for me.

Pros: variety of options, fast service & cheap price, good food

Cons: too spicy when asked for not spicy

The best food I've had in Thailand!!!!! - Edit

Wow..just wow. This is the most lovely little place, you wouldn't even glance at it if you walked past except for the 'Vegetarian & Vegan' sign they have outside. Everything is cheap and made right there in front of you in one wok. On will adjust how spicy you want everything (great for me as I struggle with spicy food.) I didn't get a chance to try a desert but I ate there everyday I was in kanchanburi and would thoroughly recommend anything on the menu! I didn't get a chance to try the cooking school but I'm trying to alter my trip so I can go back and attend her course!

Pros: Cheap , Delicious, Fresh

great food for a decent price - Edit

very tasty and reasonably priced at 60 baht a plate. I had the tom kha and the thai ice tea with coconut milk and both were quite nice. unlike many of the vegetarian restaurants i have visited in thailand so far, they seem to actually understand the concept of veganism here, even if not everything is 100% vegan, so that's a plus, too.

'Miss On is never Off'... - Edit

...it reads on the menue; and that's true.
Miss on cooks all day everyday and she and her staff manage to stay friendly and welcoming, with a smile at all times.
Food is always freshly prepared and tasty.
Unfortunately you can't get the pancakes veganised, because the powder she uses contains egg.
Sometimes by the end of the day she may run out of dishes, but that's absolutely excusable.
I recommend trying the thai tea with coconut milk. It's very sweet, though.
All dishes are 60 baht, drinks 30. So it's all more than affordable.

Pros: vegan options, fresh, tasty food, friendly staff

Cons: pancakes not vegan

Just Awesome!!! - Edit

very very good delicious food. so yummy!!! Very nice people and very polite! I ordered 2 meals each time I was there and I went there for breakfast, lunch and supper on 3 days
: D

Pros: cheap, vegetarian, delicious, variety, friendly pe

Cons: can be crowdy, no place to sit

Amazing everything! - Edit

Lovely ladies cooking amazing food! The Tom Kha was amazing, pumpkin hummus was a positive surprise (if you don't like coriander/cilantro ask for mint. A lovely fresh twist), the curries very nice, great laap ishaan; bit sour with a fresh mint taste. But the winner for sure was the banana flower salad!

All the main dishes are 50baht, 30 for amazing shakes and only 10 baht for some healthy brown rice. Very nice vegan Thai food for not too much baht's. Go and try the banana flower salad asap! And if you want: join a cooking class with Miss On. Which we did at the end of our month volunteering at ElephantsWorld :) We learned a lot and On is an amazing lady. Glad that the restaurant is on HappyCow!

Pros: Best Thai food, Lovely staff, Free water

Delicious, satisfying, fresh food. - Edit

Definitely one of the best Thai foods I've had in Thailand ever. If not THE best. It's prepared right there fresh on the spot, with fresh ingredients and no msg. Only two dishes contain eggs which On can leave out. She does use some sugar, so better to tell her to leave it out if you don't like that. Every main dish is 50 baht + 10 baht for brown rice. Drinking water is free (it's safe to drink as it's bottled water). I ate there 3 times in the 2.5 days I was there. On's place is all you need. Also meat eaters seam to love this place.

Pros: Fresh, Delicious , Cheap

High quality, low price - Edit

On has magic hands when cooking the very tasteful dishes. Every meal same price, only 50 bath. It's a small restaurant, so don't be shy to share a table. I ate here 4 times, 4 different dishes. The spicy panang curry was my favorite.

just amazing! - Edit

All we have ordered was fresh, tasty, cheap, and amazing! I'm so happy to found On's Thai Isaan that I come back for sure! The owners are very friendly and if you love the food you can take cooking class in the restaurant.
Even carnivor loves this restaurant.
Don't wait! ;)

Pros: fresh " a la minute" , healthy, friendly

Cons: nothing

AMAZING fresh, vegan and veggie food! - Edit

Went to this restaurant everyday when i was in Kanchanaburi, simply because the food was so fresh flavoursome, really cheap and the lady that does all the cooking is so lovely and friendly!
Spent a year in South east asia and India and this was by far the best food i tasted on the whole trip!
Banana flower salad was incredible!!! :)

Pros: amazing fresh food, lovely happy staff, everything veggie and vegan

Maybe best in Thailand? - Edit

This is one of my favorite Restaurants all over Thailand. On is a sweetheart and she prepares the food pretty much in front of you.

While I stayed in Kachanaburi I went there everyday, my favorite dish was the cinnamon soup. Very creamy and tasty! I would love to go back, just because of her food!

I also took a cooking class, efficient and fun! Compared to Bangkok inexpensive, same goes with the food. Ingredients

Pros: Inexpensive, Fresh Ingredients, Friendly owner

best in town! - Edit

One of the nicest veg restaurants in Thailand, and by far the nicest staff, On's restaurant is inexpensive and great food! Will eat here every day twice a day! :)
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 11, 2013

Pros: inexpensive, great food, wonderful staff

Cons: none

Banana flower salad! - Edit

We came here at the end of January 2013. The food is fantastic and very good value. The banana flower salad was the stand-out dish of the ones we tried and probably the nicest thing we had during out 8-week stay in Thailand. The service is friendly and quick and you can see the food being prepared by On, so you know it is fresh.

Great little restaurant - Edit

I ate there last night and this morning and thought it was a great little place. Miss On is a lovely lady and the food was very tasty. Today I even requested if she could cook me some tofu and veges with her peanut sauce and she was quite happy to oblige. Her peanut sauce is excellent. The food prices are very reasonable and the serving sizes are decent. The location is fantastic too - right on the tourist strip. Definately check this place out when you go to Kanchanaburi!

Pros: Great food, Good value, Friendly staff

Delicious food, very accommodating - Edit

The owner went out of her way to get alternate packaging materials for a to-go lunch. She also opened 2 hours early to prepare our food, so that we could pick it up before leaving Kanchanaburi for a full-day tour. Even several hours later, when we ate lunch, the food was delicious.

Yummy, Cheap and On the Main Drag - Edit

This one-woman show is fantastic! Unfortunately, as we're only in town for a couple of days, I've had to eat double my usual meals (which are already quite ample) to fit in Miss On's, the markets and street vendors' snacks (rice paper rolls and fried banana), and the delicious fare provided by the new 'jair' restaurant down the road ... a second stomach is required in these parts. This is one great addition to the already amazing culinary landscape that is Siam.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive, On the main drag

Cons: Too yummy to stay thin

Miss On is in never OFF! - Edit

Miss On's Thai food is the best I've had in Thailand!
Everything I've eaten here has been amazing!
I'm only in town for 3 nights and I stumbled in here on my first day and I've come back every day since. I'm going to do the cooking class before I fly home.
It's cliche I know but Miss On, other travelers and regulars here make it feel like a crazy Thai home away from home.

Pros: Miss On!, Amazing Food!, Amazing People!

Return to Kanchanaburi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has On's Thai Isaan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2822 times since Aug 2012.