One Love Vegetarian

Contact 416-535-5683

854 Bathurst St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5R 3G2

Caribbean vegan cuisine eatery. Primarily take-out. The menu includes Caribbean creole cuisine with such as corn soup, roti, plantain, salad, vegan desserts, daily specials, and fresh juice. Seasonal items like drinks and desserts. Uses many organic produce.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Caribbean, Jamaican

First Review by sullivusb

Wow - Edit

Don't know how this is only rated a 4 out of 5. The Roti that they sell is incredible. Any of the fillings that you choose are made fresh. I have a really big appetite and i sometimes can't finish the Roti--they are massive. Good value for the portion you get.

Seems to vary... - Edit

The first time my partner and I went, we were really impressed. Both of us had the corn soup and ordered different roti/curries (as well as fried plantain)-yum. We loved it all!!!

However, the second time we went, the soup was flavourless and the curries were super-salty (hard to eat). It was too bad, because we haven't been back again.

It is likely a difference in chefs, but if you love a dish, it should taste the same every time you purchase it.

They may have fixed this issue since, or maybe we caught them on a bad day, but the first time was grand!!! We live out of town and plan to try them again soon.

Pros: Good 'home-cooking', Friendly staff, Great value

Cons: Small with little seating & no washroom, Inconsistent dishes (taste), No bottled water

Delicious, convenient, full of character - Edit

This place is a great lunch spot. Their roti are out of this world. My non-vegan boyfriend ordered a surprise and I got potato, not spicy. They gave my boyfriend a mix of all three fillings and a lot of heat. Both were delicious, although honestly I liked his better! My boyfriend is non-vegan but felt satisfied and very full after his meal and we both had leftovers for a snack later. If you get the chance, GO! The place itself might not look like much but the food is so high quality you won't regret it.

Pros: All vegan, Fresh & well-priced, GREAT staff!

Great carribean restaurant - Edit

I love that it's a vegan carribean restaurant. Their cookies are amazing. The best I've ever had vegan or not! Their dhal puri roti with chickpeas and potatoes is good. I just wished it had a little more taste to it.

Pros: vegan, organic, friendly staff

Cons: cash only, far for someone who lives in Scarborough

very delicious - Edit

We went to this restaurant and were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were very pleasant and friendly.
It's very small and can seat 10 people but I think it's mostly take out.
I had the callou , I've never had it before and it was so flavourful - I ate it all.
My husband had the curried chickpeas over rice and he loved it. We also ordered the BBQ tofu ! It was delicious.
We will go back to this delightful little spot.

Pros: very good food , very friendly

Very Good Food and Friendly Staff! - Edit

The food is great! Price is moderate. More of a take-out restaurant than a sit down, though they do have a few seats and tables. Friendly staff.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 05, 2014

Pros: Really good food, Clean, Friendly staff

Cons: A little expensive for fast food, Not many menu options

love love love love loveeeeee - Edit

As being recently new on the vegan scene, I was excited to be able to explore all the great vegan restaurants that Toronto had to offer. One Love Vegetarian has got to be one of the best I have tried so far!

I was never much of a tofu fan at first, but I have come to really love the different ways it can be cooked into your meal. I had the bean curd curry at one love and was totally in love with the meal, and especially impressed with the way the tofu was prepared.

Quite unintentionally they also happened to introduce me to my soul mate, avocados.

Over all, I would recommend this restaurant to just about anyone. SO good!

Amazing Vegan Caribbean Food! - Edit

Had the top curry with salad and rice and beans. So tasty! My dining partner had the BBQ tofu which was also incredible. Ask for the hot sauce if you like that sort of thing, it's really nice with a delayed kick to it. The home brew ginger beer was also great!

Pros: Vegan, Fast, Delicious

Love it love it love it. - Edit

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this place yet. Let me sum up: I love it. One of the best vegan restaurants - and most original - in the world. Their TVP roti is to die for. Their corn soup is delicious, and most of the rest is great. Only downside was a cookie I had today that was not super fresh. But that's a minor thing. This place absolutely totally rocks. You must visit when in Toronto.

My Wallet's Going To Hurt Now - Edit

My first time going there today. Feeling for some veganized home-cooking. Tried the roti and combined the TVP with chickpea and Potato. SOOOO GOOD! It sux that they don't take debit, but it's probably for the best 'cause I'd be mindlessly be spending there. I probably still will. It's THAT good. They need to open another location. Toronto needs more veganized Caribbean food.

I wanna go back later next week and try some other filling combinations for the roti and their meal deals. Great place overall. Try it!!

Pros: Veganized Caribbean food - Niche, Close to Subway station, Friendly staff

Cons: Should have more tables, Cash only - most people use debt or cash, Desserts aren't always available

Best Caribbean in Toronto - Edit

This is easily my favourite vegan spot in Toronto. Sadly, they've been forced into being zoned as a take-out joint and now you can only get their soup, roti and sandwiches in to-go containers. Don't let this stop you though. The corn soup is heavenly and the rotis are fabulous.

Pros: Corn soup, Friendly staff, Caribbean food!

My favourite restaurant in T.O - Edit

I absolutely love getting take-out from One-Love.

The BBQ Tofu meal is the yummiest thing I have ever eaten! I also love the rotis = especially the potato-chickpea one. I can never decide which one to get, so I get both and have leftovers.

Service is really quick, and the food is delicious and very filling. There are not that many vegetables in this food, but that is just fine with me!

Definitely check out this place.

Pros: Delicious food, quick service, friendlly

Perfect Meal - Edit

I love this place... Super friendly staff and tasty, healthy, balanced meals. I highly recommend the chickpea and potato meal. Comes with salad, sprouts, avocado, plantain and rice. Yum!

Pros: healthy, reasonable price , always good reggae music

Cons: too far from my house

Favourite vegan restaurant so far - Edit

This is an amazing place. The TVP roti is the best thing I have ever eaten. Also tried the chickpea and potato roti and the raspberry lemonade.

Pros: TVP roti, Friendly staff, Very clean prep area

Cons: Very small, Almost nowhere to sit, Raspberry lemonade is too sweet

Great Little Takeout; Cheap and Cheerful - Edit

Great Caribbean food and it's vegan too. Limited menu, but everything I've tried has been excellent. It's not going to wow you, just fill your belly with good home cooked food for under $10.

Only a few tables and chairs so more of a takeout.

small selection, but food was good - Edit

The food had a very home-cooking feel to it. The selection was small, with only a handful of main dishes. The two dishes we ordered (jamaican greens and the chickpeas and potato curry) were both pretty good. Neither dishes were greasy. The yellow yam in the jamaican greens was really good. The mango drink was really good too.

The bad thing about this place is the lack of restroom and cash only.

One of my favourite restaurants in Toronto - Edit

I love, love, love this restaurant. I've never had a meal that wasn't stellar but I like nothing better than the pumpkin roti and corn soup--perfection!!

The only problem with this place, really, is the size which is probably why they don't have a washroom. Not being able to wash your hands before sitting down to eat is a bit off-putting. :(

Pros: Extremely delicious food, All vegan, Owner is amazing

Cons: Small space, No washroom???--is that even legal?

best vegan rest. in toronto - Edit

my husband and i came here in nov 2010. this was THE ONLY restaurant that we would for sure come back to.

we ordered the bean curd and lima beans, and the bbq tofu stir fry, and the mango strawberry lemonade.

everything was amazing!!

Pros: everything!, great food!

Warm food and warm people - Edit

Went here for lunch today, having passed by a dozen times when I wasn't hungry. The place is tiny, even smaller inside than it seems from the outside, and easily 2/3rds is the kitchen area. The woman who took my order was happy to recommend a suitable choice for me, which was a roti with pumpkin and the house corn soup. The soup came first and then the roti, which took slightly longer than the person beside me who came later, but his second course was a larger meal, so I assume they wanted to send his starter roti out first.

The food was so fresh and hot (though not spicy) and very filling, and I was very impressed by the low price. The menu is brief, with a rotating juice of the day, but more than suitable for a good quick meal. The dinner the fellow got beside me with curry and rice was amazing looking. I would happily return again, most likely for takeout, as there was about 8-10 seats in the whole place to eat.

Pros: Inexpensive, Hearty, Friendly

Cons: Small dining area

Love IT - Edit

One Love loves their food. Try the Jamaican Pumpkin on paratha roti - it's to die for. And I'm not a beverage consumer but I have found I MUST HAVE their strawberry lemonade. WOW. WOW.
They have Sweets From the Earth baked goods that rock.
They are right across from the Bathurst subway.

Pros: friendly, yummy, great location

Cons: sometimes a litltle slow

Super-awesome people - Edit

The people who run One Love are super-awesome! I would go back there just to talk to them but the food was really delicious, so I would go for the food! Check it out!

Pros: great service, lovely food, very freshly prepared

Cons: atmosphere is a little lacking

not a total fan yet, but I'd try again - Edit

The people were great! The corn soup - souper! but I had a kale dish that left much to be desired. the kale and the plantain were both undercooked. FYI: i'm not one of those people that need their veg smushy...these were undercooked. definitely had potential tho and worth trying again as I did thoroughly enjoy the soup.

Good food - Edit

I went once and had a corn soup. It was really tasty, but a little too salty for my tastes. My husband went separately and had a really good bowl with various soul food goodies in it. I'd definitely go back.

Pros: Friendly staff, tasty food, reasonable prices

Cons: Soup a little too salty, Not much seating

Small but lots of love - Edit

This place is super small and has a limited menu, which changes. The service is kind of slow because they have a small staff. However, I have been there twice and I have truly enjoyed my food each time. I had a roti one time, and a soup the other time. So nice to eat veg soup for once! One Love is located just across the street from the north tip of Bathurst subway station, so they are easily accessible.

Pros: indie, yummy, friendly

Cons: no washroom, small restaurant, small menu

Tiny Love - Edit

A tiny restaurant with a tiny menu, One Love has a big heart. The roti and corn soup are the stars here. Massive portions, cheap and delicious.

They also have pizza, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I've heard good things.

Pros: big portions, cheap, friendly

Cons: tiny place

one word ... - Edit

amazing. The food at one love is amazing. I had the BBQ tofu stir fry, with beans and rice, avocado and fried plantains. The restaurant features an open kitchen so you are able to see your meal prepared in front of you. The kitchen is impeccably clean and everything seems to be prepared made-to-order. The average meal is between $8 and $10 and are very large, filling portions. I had a coconut cupcake for dessert, also delicious. The staff are really, incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurant is right across from the subway station and around the corner from Pancea, an awesome vegan grocery store. I highly, highly recommend this place.

Pros: great food, great service, cheap prices

Cons: really hot in the summer

Great food, friendly staff - Edit

We stopped here during our trip to Toronto and really enjoyed the place. We got a stirfry that was amazing. Our second dish was Jamaican greens, yams, some type of biscuit and boiled green banana - the green were really good, but the other portions of the dish were just so-so.

The prices were very reasonable and the staff was very nice and friendly. I would recommend stopping here.... It's also located right by the subway.

Pros: Great food, healthy dishes, nice staff

Cons: menu is kind of small, the restaurant got a bit hot...

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has One Love Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7548 times since Jul 2009.