Olympia Food Co-op - Eastside

• Health Store
Contact 360-956-3870

3111 Pacific Ave SE (at /in Eastside), Olympia, Washington, USA, 98501

As reported to HappyCow Feb 09, has ATM onsite. Cooperative market providing selections in deli food, fresh produce, vitamins, supplements, bulk staples, chilled and frozen food, personal care products, natural products, and more. Not all veg.

First Review by aubysmas

Exactly what a Co-op IS and SHOULD BE :) - Edit

Reading some of the other views here, I am really taken aback. When we visited Olympia, we were happy to stop in their Co-ops, and we found the relaxed, granola, home-run, vibe of an original cooperative to be really refreshing and fun in comparison with all of the commercial organic stores these days.

We found the workers cheerful and helpful. Yes we forgot to write the number on our bulk items too, but you know what? We all laughed it off and they helped us figure out the system.

And about the price: I found it normal. And We find the selection great for a place the size of Olympia. Also it is [we repeat] a CO-OP and you can buy in a membership and get discounts. That's the point. It's community owned.

People who enjoy the cooperative feel and original granola culture will really enjoy this place. If you're looking to find something negative, you will be sure to find that wherever you go. But this place is exactly what a Co-op is and what it should be. :)

Pros: authentic, neighborly, friendly

No - Edit

I was visiting my mother in Olympia, and insisted we visit a co-op, since there is such a good one where I live. First thing I notice is they were not friendly at all! Second their prices were super high! Selection was sad as well. I merely wanted some naan for dinner, canned beans, and fresh veg and it was a real choir and costed too much! They didn't have any naan actually their bread selection was pathetic, they did have a few bulk spices which was ok. When we went to ring everything up the cashier didn't know the codes to ANY of the veggies so I had to walk back and get the code for each individual item, WTF? Later that week I skipped this awful store and went to Fred Meyer where they easily have a much better organic/vegan selection than this co-op. Much more veggies and spices too (and they knew the codes to the veggies and were nice!)

Cons: snobby, prices, selection

Crappy Staff - Edit

Has a lot of good vegan foods but could do better. The salad bar is really nice. It has several vegan options and a vegan soup. Bulk selection is nice. The staff is usually REALLY bad and do not know anything. I do not care if they are volunteers train them. I also think having to write down the PLU# is fairly ridiculous. They should know or have a guide and figure it out. I am paying to shop here!

Pros: Salas bar, bulk grains, vegan foods

Cons: horrible staff

Pricey but worth it - Edit

The co-op is pretty pricey, but their sandwiches are the best in town. Love the salad bar and soups too. That's why I keep coming back

Great place, supports local farmers - Edit

The co-op is wonderful. The prices are lower than large chain stores and if it might seem slow or haphazard at times I am sure it is only because it is run by many volunteers as well as some paid positions. I love that they carry locally produced vegetables and eggs, so my money is staying in my community. I have never had any moldy items from there, so I am not sure what the other reviewer is describing. They have some nice deli items (sandwiches, etc.) too and great natural products that are harder to find at big stores.

Pros: local, volunteer run, better pricing, carry unique products

Cons: not a huge selection

theres no place like the co-op - Edit

The co-op is the only place to buy fresh food in my opinion.
In 8 years i have only bought one moldy item which was a box of vegan doughnuts in the hot summer.
the coop is great about letting you return things if you need to. generally produce that is expiring is put into the discount bin. the great thing about being vegan is that you can usually see the mold and choose not to buy the item.
i love the vegan deli sandiwiches made fresh in the co-op, the bulk bins, and knowing i can choose local produce..it can't get any better than this.

Return to Olympia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Olympia Food Co-op - Eastside closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1298 times since Aug 2007.