• Old California Coffee House

Ovo
American
Delivery
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has several ovo-lacto veggie dishes and a few vegan ones. Sample dishes might include falafel wrap or vegan chili. Non smoking. Has free wireless access. Open Mon-Wed 7:00am-8:00pm, Thu-Sat 7:00am-9:00pm, Sun 7:00am-8:00pm. Open daily.

Venue map for Old California Coffee House
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by tomaswk

jamber79

Points +376

Vegetarian
12 Mar 2018

ok

Food was ok. Service not great. Very small place. Wouldn't make it a point to go back.

Elisethepinkmermaid

Points +32

03 Feb 2016

Oldie but goodie!

I've been coming here for years, they make their own chai and their baked tofu sandwich is my go-to meal! I also recommend the vegan chili.

bmann52

Points +152

11 Mar 2015

Nice place for lunch

My wife and I were in San Marcos on some business and of course turned to Happy Cow for some suggestions. Where we were at the time nothing worth mentioning came up but when we got closer to town, Old California Coffee House came up, located next to san Marcos Brewery.

They had a small but dedicated Veg section of their menu. My wife ordered the The Mediterranean Sandwich and I ordered The Baked Tofu sandwich which comes on bread but when I asked for Veganaise dressing (yes they offered) the young lady taking our order asked if I'd like it fully Vegan as in a wrap and I said yes.

My wife's sandwich was great, she really liked it and my wrap was very good size and tasty. The baked tofu was good and it was quite a job to take a bite out of this thing. If I had one minor complaint it was a little dry but that wouldn't stop me from ordering it again. Very filling.

Inside was nice - typical of a small coffee house, however we elected to eat outside on their patio which was reasonably large and the weather cooperated nicely.

Pros: Reasonable selection of vegetarian, Food was tasty

Rich Revell

Points +119

25 Feb 2013

Nice Place, Some Vegan Options Questionable

My wife & I ate there for lunch yesterday! The facility was nice with pleasant inside and outdoor seating. The staff was friendly. The food was okay, but not worth a trip. We ordered the vegetable tofu salad. The portions were small by any standard! For an $8.00 salad there were 2 small tomato slices, 3 small cucumber slices, a small portion of sprouts, 4 or 5 small, thin strips of tofu all piled on a handful of lettuce. There was no bread, or crackers available since all of those offerings were not vegan. I ordered the vegan chili which was fine, but the cornbread that came with it was also not vegan. Overall, we came away disappointed about our meal. This is a borderline place to recommend for other vegans. Go only if you're desperate!

Pros: Nice seating options, Friendly staff

Cons: Limited vegan options, Small portions

xandriah

Points +107

10 Mar 2012

Decent food, neat setting

I've eaten here twice. The first time I ordered the vegan chili, which I believe was 6 or 7 dollars. It was pretty spicy and filling, but the side of toast for dipping was burnt and the portion was small. The second time I ordered the falafal wrap, which was excellent, except I learned after eating it that the sauce was not vegan. I'm not a strict vegan so it didn't really bother me, but to those vegans that wish to eat here, order the falafal without the sauce and it will be vegan. The falafal was filling, although the portion was a bit small. The veggies are fresh and the falafal is tasty and hot. The atmosphere of this cafe is awesome, very comfortable and chill. The staff is friendly and accomadating as well.

Pros: Falafal, Atmosphere

Cons: Expensive, Small portions, Only a few vegan options

tomaswk

Points +46

30 Apr 2007

Fabu and Cute - What more can you ask for!

With an outdoor patio filled with chairs and a fireplace. This cute little tea and vegie food joint is perfect. The menu is plenty enough for you to have a full meal and be fine. The deserts are very good looking, but I don't think they are vegan.