Okutan - Nanzen

Contact 07-57718709

86-30 Fukuchi-machi, Nanzenji, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. 200 year old famous tofu restaurant. Offers yudofu set meal as well traditional tofu meal Y4,200. Note that fish stock is used to make some of the dishes and soup - so ask. Address in Japanese: 京都府京都市左京区南禅寺福地町86-30

Category: Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by slo0go

I'm sorry ... but not worthy - Edit

As you all know to be a vegetarian person in Japan it is really hard, so when you find a vegetarian restaurant you are very happy ;-) however I will suggest don't go to this one... we do like tofu, however here you have to be addicted to tofu, they serve you so much tofu that is ridiculous. The idea of eating boiled tofu in water is just not so appealing.

The set menu is 3,400 yen very expensive, even though you can share it, in between two people, which I will highly recommend.

Updated from previous review on Saturday November 29, 2014

Pros: nice experience , couple of the dishes are tasty

Cons: you have to be addicted to tofu

Vegan friendly - Edit

This place is a great respite between visiting temples and shrines along the Philosopher's Path. When we visited, the line was out the door with both Japanese and Western tourists. We had to wait about 20 minutes to get a table. The restaurant only had the yudofu set available, so we ordered two. There was no English menu. The yudofu set is comprised of six parts. However, when I explained in (my poor) Japanese that we are vegan, three of the six parts were eliminated. The yudofu, tempura, and soup were delicious. The staff adjusted our bill since we couldn't eat half of the set, so I ended up paying about 3050 yen for two people. Not the biggest meal we had, but the staff was accommodating. They do not take credit card.

If you're vegan, be sure you're able to explain that you don't want dashi or fish sauce in your food!

Pros: Vegan options, Delicious, Friendly staff

Cons: No English menu, Beware of fish sauce/dashi

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Okutan - Nanzen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1757 times since Aug 2007.