Ocean Beach People's Organic Foods Deli

Contact 619-224-1387

4765 Voltaire St (at Sunset Cliffs, Ocean Beach), San Diego, California, USA, 92107

Vegetarian and vegan deli, juice bar. Located upstairs of the co-op market. Offers sandwiches, coffee, juices.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by heathera75

great place - Edit

I love shopping here.
The selection is pretty wonderful.
The deli upstairs has all vegan offerings. Don't expect the same thing to be available everyday.
Downstairs you can find food from the deli, groceries, veggies, fruits, breads, and on. There bulk items are good.
There guacamole is just ok.
Prices are not cheap, some items are less than a regular grocery store.
Well worth it!

Pros: vegan deli, people working at People's, veggies and fruits

Cons: little vegan selection of frozen foods

Great deli and groceries - Edit

I ordered a mixed bowl in the deli upstairs and the food was great, at a fantastic price. I bought some vegan raw dessert from the store downstairs and overall the vibe is great. They have everything you need if you are on the go, but they also have tables upstairs if you want to eat there.

Pros: Cheap deli food, Great choice of vegan raw dessert, Peaceful vibe

Gluten free and bland - Edit

This deli serves potluck style dishes and salads. It used to be great but as we were too often disappointed by bland food we haven't eaten there in a long time. I still look at the dishes that are available whenever I'm at the Coop but they seem to cater more to the gluten free crowd and appear to shun anything that might liven up the food such bell peppers, tomatoes, onions or spices. The all time low I thought was the Saturday morning when they offered Cabbage Boil. Friendliness of staff varies, one time a server took offense to my Dr Seauss Green Eggs and Ham tshirt.

Pros: vegan food

Cons: Bland food, A lot is gluten free

A Mainstay - Edit

I usually have a bite at the eatery that is above the grocery store when I go shopping here. Healthy, wholesome and easy. Small salad bar, rotating items in prepared salads cooler and rotating items at small cooked items counter. Always has rice and beans and two soups and fresh made tea/juice. Mostly or all vegan and organic. I can usually get some gluten free, refined sugar free cookies at the baked goods rack. Indoor and outdoor seating, with decent pricing and interesting people coming and going. Live music music every Friday at dinner time and Sunday at lunch. So glad this place is here with the market!

Dream Vegan Breakfast joint - Edit

I stayed in the Point Loma Hostel and this is close by and on the way to Ocean Beach. I ended up going here for breakfast three times in a row because it's that good. The rotating selections are all vegan, fresh, and served buffet style. When I went, the selection included: tofu scrambles with different vegetables, seasoned with turmeric and other spices; homemade soy sausages; fresh fruit mixtures; vegan tuna salad casserole; home-baked (everything there is home-baked) biscuits and gravy; roasted seasoned potatoes; a variety of baked cookies and muffins; and wonderful coffee and herbal teas. (There was more, but I don't remember exactly what). There is nice seating and the workers were almost all friendly. Great place.

Pros: excellent selection of vegan b'fast item, fresh, good off-street parking

Cons: can't really think of any

Awesome Place - Edit

Excellent retail space and range of goods. We also had a few items from upstairs and found these delicious and good value. If you're in the area stop here.

Pros: Great Shop, Great Cafe, Tasty Food

The Best Market In California - Edit

I have not eaten in the deli, but I will get some fantastic drinks there often before shopping. This is the best market I have ever been to. There is no meat to be found. The food tastes great when you prep and eat your acquired groceries at home. The deli upstairs looks great, and is convenient. But if you do not buy groceries, you have missed the point.

Pros: Market

Loved it! - Edit

I didn't find San Diego to be very vegan friendly. It was wonderful to find a deli with ALL vegan food. I could order anything. It smelled great as soon as we got there, and the food was wonderful. Lots of selections hot and cold. Everyone was really friendly to us, and there were enough small tables along the side we could find one even during the lunch hour rush. Highly recommend this place as an inexpensive place to eat wonderful vegan food. The staff were friendly, even the guy who cleaned up my water spill. Also very patient with questions. Didn't feel rushed.

Pros: Lots of variety, Everything was delicious, Friendly staff

All vegan cafe, service at co-op not as great. - Edit

Pretty good and I would normally rate an all vegan cafe 5 or 4 stars if its delicious...I will say I did like the few things I ate and what I sampled from cold case. I also put together a nice organic salad to go as well. I have to say the place is pretty crowded and noisy. Each time I went here during my trip to San Deigo, I have felt that its simply a stressful place. This co-op is big (which is good) and the cafe is upstairs. I was not all that impressed with the customer service at both the co-op downstairs or the people checking me out in the deli. Everyone seemed to rushed and pushy and the cashier misinformed me of few questions about memberships from out of state. Made me miss the co-op I belong to in Portland. :(

Pros: Variety of food (changes daily), Organic soup and salad bar

Cons: not so knowledgeable staff, not exceptionally friendly either

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ocean Beach People's Organic Foods Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3436 times since Nov 2012.