The Oak Tree

+44-1702471435

75 Leigh Rd, Leigh-on-Sea, Southend-on-sea, England, SS91JN

A family-run vegetarian bistro and market. Offers an extensive menu ranging from in-house-made cakes and salads to ciabattas, vegan sausage rolls, and BLTs. Sells a selection of food to take home, including house-made vegan coleslaw and potato salad. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-10:30pm, Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Delivery, Take-out, British

First Review by LeighLady

Recently had a fancy make-over. - Edit

The Oaktree Market, which previously had a deli-counter, has just had a very sophisticated renovation. It now has a purely ala-carte set up, with live acoustic music in the evenings.

They provide vegan and vegetarian options. There is halloumi on the menu (which is the only thing I miss, in my 'vegan - re-birth', but daren't ever indulge in.)

The place has a lovely ambience - just perfect for sharing a really refreshing bottle of vegan prosecco and a vegan pizza with actual melting vegan mozzarella, and nattering the evening away with your mates.

Pros: Fancy redo , Melting vegan mozzarella , Great vegan wine and beer options.

Cons: Pricey - but all vegan venues appear to be.

big fan of this place - Edit

Reasonable prices, good variety of food, good portion sizes and some outdoor seating.

Lovely place - Edit

Really interesting dishes, beautifully made. Drinks choices are good, and the coffee is excellent!

I have ventured in to the Oak Tree with a teensy hangover on a couple of occasions, and their veggie pepperoni pizza ciabatta really hits the spot!

More substantial meals are splendid, especially recommend the Sri Lankan curry and various lasagne dishes.

Pros: Freshly-cooked delicious food, Coffee

Cons: Quite small so you may need to book

A gem in Leigh. - Edit

So happy to find a vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurant in this area. Small and personal. Pleasant atmostphere, light and airy. Good service. Menu offers a vegan version of many traditional comfort foods..each one tried so far is excellent. Also innovative dishes,,,,I loved the Aubergine Pasta (vegan). Highly recommended!

We love the Oak Tree ! - Edit

We are so lucky this place is round the corner from us...love this place for breakfast..really great coffee ( they of course have soya milk), lovely breakfast sandwich options including vege sausage or bacon. Lunch options are delicious, home cooked hot food or fantastic big salads. We have also been here a couple of times for dinner..intimate, candle lit, relaxed atmosphere, and great food, we came to a Thai night once, and they definitely give the local Thai restaurants a run for their money! They do some interesting themed nights including Japanese and Sri Lankan night which we hope to try and soon. The greatest thing about this place though is that the staff are really nice, service is great AND they are dog friendly!!!!

Pros: Dog friendly

Cons: More wheat free grains on menu

Just Lovely - Edit

Oaktree Market has recently opened close to where we live. We've been desperately missing a veggie eatery ever since the sad demise of My Kitchen a couple of years ago, so we decided to pop along with a couple of friends for their first themed evening - Lebanese food.

The bistro itself is very small, with maybe only half a dozen tables. Rather than feeling cramped, it has a nice intimate atmosphere. The staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Service was very prompt. I did find the seating to be quite uncomfortable after a little while, but then I am in the late stages of pregnancy and am struggling to get comfortable anywhere at the moment! Nobody else seemed to have a problem with it.

We were served a starter of spiced lentil and chickpea soup. The flavours were fresh and the portion size was generous but manageable. This was followed by a mixed mezze. The only non-vegan item on the menu was grilled halloumi, this was replaced with stuffed vine leaves for my husband and I. All of the food was absolutely delicious, really flavoursome and hearty. There was plenty to go around, in fact we were nowhere near able to finish everything we were served!

My husband and friends still somehow found room for dessert. Husband ordered strawberry cheesecake and a chocolate chip cookie, our friends both had carrot cake. I snacked on a little of my husband's cookie, it was lovely. I must admit to being a little disappointed that the cheesecake was just a slice of a commercially available cheesecake we can buy at most health food shops, especially when much nicer vegan cheesecake is so simple to make, but since we were really there for the dinner rather than dessert it wasn't that big of an issue (husband certainly seemed very happy with it).

All in all we had a really lovely evening with delicious food and fantastic service at a very reasonable price. I'm very keen to go back again soon, they have more themed evenings on the horizon and their lunch menu looks great! Definitely a new favourite in our area.

Pros: Great food with nice vegan options, Friendly staff, Very reasonably priced

Cons: Uncomfortable seating

Finally!! - Edit

We have been screaming out for a new Vegetarian place in Leigh for years!!

And here it is!!

It was certainly worth the wait... lovely decor, staff, food, coffee and atmosphere!

I had the "pepperoni" pizza ciabatta and it was absolutely incredible... although i do wish i got one of the salads as they were huge!

will definitely be back

Pros: Menu choice, Coffee, Friendly staff

Cons: could be bigger - but not a problem!

Return to Southend-on-sea Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Oak Tree closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.