O Oriente no Porto

Contact 351-222007223

Rua S. Miguel, 19 (at Near Clérigos Tower), Porto, Portugal,

Veggie restaurant in city center by Clerigos Tower, the main monument in Porto. It's also a shop, and hosts yoga classes. Confirmed open by owner Jun 2013. Mon-Sat 12:30pm-3:00pm Open Fri-Sat dinner.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by

Very good food and very friendly staff - Edit

The food was amazing - very tasty. All vegan and the staff offered to make gluten-free options at the time - very tasty also!
Pros: Good food, good price and very nice staff
Cons: not really :)

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Not really

Nice place for the occasional meal - Edit

This is a nice place located in the city centre, where for all the restaurants , cafés and tapas places, the vegetarian options are very limited ( and vegan even worse). That said the food is good but the menu could be more varied and with more food options. There is also a small store where you can buy some grocery and clothes.

Pros: Good value, Friendly stuff

Good spot for lunch - Edit

The were one of our two favourite spots in Porto. The food was very good (and fast ...:)). The atmosphere was friendly - for me a little to quiet and Buddhistic ... :) but it was also very relaxing.

A good option you have to consider! - Edit

If you're looking for the one of the cheapest restaurants for vegetarian dishes, you have to consider "Oriente no Porto"! The location is good - although it's located in typical small street that's a bit hard to find, it's only 5-7min on foot from S. Bento Station.

The people are nice and the meal was fine! The meal the day I ate there had some Indian influences: it was some kind of meatballs with rice and a spicy side dish that I don't know what it was. The soup was ok, they also gave us (caramel?!) tea and a dessert ("alfarroba" and chocolate mousse). We only paid 5EUR (soup+main dish+tea+dessert), which is pretty good in Oporto!

The restaurant itself seemed ok. I think they have yoga classes for what I read in the other comments, but for what I saw there, there are also workshops you can participate in.

Pros: Price - very cheap indeed, Food is nice

very food option for vegans! - Edit

If you want to try The tradicional dish from Porto - Francesinha - but you are vegan or vegetarian, you should visit this restaurant! The food is good And they offered uS tea!

Pros: vegan alternatives, friendly staff, food price, good portions

Tasty and fresh food - Edit

If you search a nice place to eat good and fresh vegetarian food in Porto, "Oriente no Porto" is the right place to go. People working there are very kind-good energy. The menu is very rich and complete.
They have a nice terrace with a magnificent view over the river Douro-nice option if the sun is shining.

Very good - Edit

Nice place! I went there many years ago and i remember the food quite well. I have to go there to check it again :) Nice portions, diferent foods, vegan options

Pros: Vegan options, Nice place, Price

Cons: Hard to find (maybe my fault:P)

O Oriente no Porto, Porto - Edit

I went for lunch today. As per the response to a previous reviewer, the info on happycow today is a little out of date in that they don't open for lunch until 12.30 (not 12 noon).

The lady who runs it is absolutely lovely. I rocked and I was asked if I'd like tea or a fruit drink. I went for the fruit drink but when I said I was a vegan grade vegetarian she said there's milk produce in the fruit drink they had today (I think it was a lassi) and said I had the tea. I was then given a bowl of blended bean soup (delicious) followed by a main course of a pastry savoury of some sort served with pasta in a coconut milk based sauce and salad. Dessert was a small vegan jelly. Total cost for all this, 5 euros, I was stunned as this is a bargain and a half. The food was good too and I bought a couple of the pastry things as extra to take away for my train journey to Lisbon.

The location is excellent, walking distance a few mins up the hill from where all the bars are on the riberia. Its maybe a 5 min walk from Sao Bento station. As I said the lady who runs the place is very nice and she also speaks some English (my Portuguese is, lets says, sub optimal).

I was going to rate this place as a 4 but until I was told what the bill was, that is serious value for money

Pros: Bargain priced, Vegan grade vegoism, Lovely staff

Tricky to find - but worth it! - Edit

It is near the Clerigos Tower, but not that near. Look for Rua de Sao bento da Vitoria,and head downhill, nearly to the bottom, it is delightful, and Rua de Sao Miguel is on your right, and the restaurant is along here. It is unusual, as we arrived in the shop and were asked to pay for our meal before going downstairs to the restaurant. It was a set meal, and very delicious, balanced, and the portions are good too. To be recommended.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Good Portions, Garden

i loved it! - Edit

Very friendly and interesting place. Committed vegetarian family (he is vegan!). They also have a little shop in there and do yoga classes. All very alternative. Food was good and there was plenty. Very good value for money.

Pros: extremely friendly, good value for money, No smoking!!!

Return to Porto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has O Oriente no Porto closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5910 times since Aug 2007.