O Forno

Estrada Ponta do Pargo 316, Calheta, Portugal, 9385-201

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegan choices which are only written on the specials' board - might be a spicy smoked mixed bean chili & rice or lentil potato mild curry. The Moroccan tagine with roasted squash & chickpeas with couscous can be vegan by substituting the honey. Makes soups like carrot & coriander, and in the summer offers salads. Uses locally grown ingredients wherever possible. Multiple languages spoken. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, European, Portuguese, Non-veg

First Review by ThomasG

Excellent vegetarian options - Edit

The same old story: as vegetarians, it's difficult to find a decent meal on the island. O Forno comes to the rescue: 5 veggie dishes to choose from. I had the spicy chili (the only vegan dish on the menu), which was excellent. My travel partner had a potato, beetroot and cheese bake, which she was very happy with. For dessert, I had flame grilled pineapple slices with vanilla oil (they have a large, outdoor wood oven), my partner had red fruit crumble. Both were absolutely delicious.

Worth mentioning is the staff: they were super helpful and friendly. They made every effort to make our dinner a good one. They showed us how they grilled the food on the wood stove, made jokes, helped us choose our food. All in all: superb service. Reasonably priced as well!

Pros: Several vegetarian options, Reasonably priced

Cons: Slightly remote

bermysunshine 22 Jul 2017 - Wow! Thank you Thomas for giving us our first review on Happy Cow!!! We are happy you enjoyed your dining experience with us and if you return to Madeira we obviously welcome you to come again :) Thank you again for your lovely review!

A little update: we have made a few changes to our menu since your review because we are in the process of trying to expand our Vegan options. I have updated my photos on Happy Cow and I would advise any Vegans that are reading this to look at the written description next to each photo and also to please tell a member of staff before you order that you are Vegan, so the kitchen can amend the dish accordingly. Also not all of our Vegetarian/Vegan options are written on the same board, for example soups/starters/snacks/desserts are written elsewhere.

Return to Calheta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has O Forno closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.