First Review by marktaos

A gem - Edit

This is a great vegan restaurant. Not fancy, great food, excellent customer service, and great lunch prince @$10.00. I will be back.

vegan Caribbean feast - Edit

Nice place with a cafeteria-like hot line, full menu and juice bar

Pros: tasty food

Cons: more fake meat than tofu & beans

Amazing! - Edit

While a little pricey, this food is 100% worth the money. The food is delicious and there is great customer service. They serve fresh juice straight from the fruits/veggies, any combinations you ask for. You are able to customize the combos of your food as well. It is also an adorable Hawaiian themed place with cool music/set up. I would recommend this especially to other vegans, but also non-vegans because the food is amazing either way.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-26

Pros: Delicious food & juices, Amazing customer service, Cute place

Cons: Pricey

Unique and Homey - Edit

Stopped here to have lunch as I was in the area for work and I'm so happy I did! They have a lovely variety for the buffet! I had a Jamaican "Beef" Empanada with a sampling of sides including brown rice, yucca, variety of veggies, jamaican beef stew, collards fresh cucumber and ginger juice. Everything was incredibly flavorful and the staff is soooooo nice! Really great, low key, homey feel.

Pros: Variety, Low cost, Juices

Variety and Affordability - Edit

Visited Nyack from NYC and very fortunate to have found this place thanks to Happy Cow. I had their special-1 entree and 1 side and a 12 oz juice. It was our first time and the staff gave me a sampling of their entrees and sides which was very kind of them! I enjoyed everything I ate and so did my husband :). Hubby had their crispy chicken sandwich with side of their black beans which was also yum-tastic! Everything was flavorful and filling! Will definitely visit again on our next trip here.

Pros: Good vibe, Friendly staff, Tasty food

awesomeee - Edit

The employees are so nice. I've never ordered from the menu because every time I go in, the buffet draws me in! I always get a generous serving.

Great everything! - Edit

This team rocks. Awesome food, great service. We ordered empanadas, hummus, sweet plantains, falafel, the meatball sub, crispy chicken sandwich and two rounds of mango/papaya/pineapple smoothies. It was so delicious we just kept eating! Definitely eat here again and again!

Pros: Customer service, Affordable prices, Delicious food

Great food!! - Edit

I love all the entrees, especially the ribs, they're amazing. There are so many great choices of sides as well. I'm so glad I found them on Happy Cow.

delicious! - Edit

Went in for the first time just now. Everyone there was so friendly, and the meatball sandwich was AMAZING! I'll definitely be coming back! Another plus side is that everything there is vegan, so there's no asking what's vegetarian and what's vegan. So cool :)

Pros: all vegan

Great food - Edit

Great food , good spicing nice people. We go every week.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable price, Close

Cons: Can take a long time to get food

great food! - Edit

Staff were very friendly. It's not so much a menu, as it is daily specials. Everything was very moorish, would visit again.

Very expensive for small portions - Edit

Food was just okay. For everything you order from the kitchen, the prices are stipulated. For everything you order from the counter (where you can choose veg, main dish, and rice) there are no stipulated prices. We paid $12 for a skimpy portion of food on one plate the first night and $16 the next. When asked why we paid more, we were told that we were charged for extra portions because we had asked for a little more. The server who is also the manager measures everything out in very small portions. They do not serve with a full hand and charge way too much. When we made a comment that the price was pretty steep for not a lot of food, Ricky the manager told us "I don't make the rules." Clearly, he doesn't try to make return customers either. For service with a full hand and reasonable and upfront prices, go to Veggie Heaven in New City. They are also nice and appreciate repeat customers. There was not a lot of traffic the two hours we were in Main Essentials, so I doubt their business plan is growing the business.

Pros: Food was okay.

Cons: Inconsistent pricing, Indifferent staff

Nyack Main Essentials - Edit

We were so happy to find another vegan place to eat. This place is a gem. The food was good and very reasonably priced.

The proprietor is such a warm and friendly person. He was so nice to us. He explained the menu items and made us feel welcome. We will definitely be going here again.

Pros: Good food, reasonably priced., Very clean, well maintained., Friendly comfortable atmosphere.

food is great. - Edit

It a freindly place to go to. The food is Great different variety of food to choose from. It my favorite spot hands dwn

great buffet variety - Edit

This place has a super-friendly vibe. I like their buffet as you can get a wide variety of food--they have great greens and usually a couple of different types of seitan. I prefer the veggies to the sandwiches, though--I had the crispy chickn sandwich once and it was a bit too heavy for me. Nice juice bar as well, though I frequent that less often now that I have my own juicer. Lunch special is something like $10 for a full buffet plate plus a fresh juice.

Pros: friendly, variety, fresh

Cons: can get pricey

MAIN ESSENTIALS is the main important TING, yes - Edit

what a fantastic and kind enterprise these folks have brought to Nyack town.. caribbean style delicious vegan fare.. everything is prepared with love and a nice touch of the island spices.. already been a half dozen times.. i delved into the spicy chicken sando, the meatball sando, and the crispy tofu strips.. all crazy yum.. tried their veg stew mixed w beans and okra, sweet jesus.. and the beef empanadas are the best i've ever eaten.. love their power fruit and veg shakes too.. love the casual setting.. the server Borrato is v helpful and v kind.. and cleary v proud of the cruelty-free love he and his co-workers dish out daily.. so am i.. v proud.. do not hesitate.. go now!!!!

Great Choice! - Edit

Really tasty food! Also, Reality, who is the owner's brother and works the front of the restaurant, is warm and welcoming. The combination of the food and Reality is a winning one!

Perfect - Edit

This is a feel good kind of place. I ate a ton of food and didn't have that over stuffed gross feeling. The guy helping me was fantastic too. The place was clean and the food was fresh. I can't wait till I can take my husband back there for dinner. So many good foods left to try.

Pros: fresh food, great staff, excellent food

Return to Nyack Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nyack Main Essentials closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.