First Review by marktaos

Variety and Affordability - Edit

Visited Nyack from NYC and very fortunate to have found this place thanks to Happy Cow. I had their special-1 entree and 1 side and a 12 oz juice. It was our first time and the staff gave me a sampling of their entrees and sides which was very kind of them! I enjoyed everything I ate and so did my husband :). Hubby had their crispy chicken sandwich with side of their black beans which was also yum-tastic! Everything was flavorful and filling! Will definitely visit again on our next trip here.

Pros: Good vibe, Friendly staff, Tasty food

Great everything! - Edit

This team rocks. Awesome food, great service. We ordered empanadas, hummus, sweet plantains, falafel, the meatball sub, crispy chicken sandwich and two rounds of mango/papaya/pineapple smoothies. It was so delicious we just kept eating! Definitely eat here again and again!

Pros: Customer service, Affordable prices, Delicious food

delicious! - Edit

Went in for the first time just now. Everyone there was so friendly, and the meatball sandwich was AMAZING! I'll definitely be coming back! Another plus side is that everything there is vegan, so there's no asking what's vegetarian and what's vegan. So cool :)

Pros: all vegan

Very expensive for small portions - Edit

Food was just okay. For everything you order from the kitchen, the prices are stipulated. For everything you order from the counter (where you can choose veg, main dish, and rice) there are no stipulated prices. We paid $12 for a skimpy portion of food on one plate the first night and $16 the next. When asked why we paid more, we were told that we were charged for extra portions because we had asked for a little more. The server who is also the manager measures everything out in very small portions. They do not serve with a full hand and charge way too much. When we made a comment that the price was pretty steep for not a lot of food, Ricky the manager told us "I don't make the rules." Clearly, he doesn't try to make return customers either. For service with a full hand and reasonable and upfront prices, go to Veggie Heaven in New City. They are also nice and appreciate repeat customers. There was not a lot of traffic the two hours we were in Main Essentials, so I doubt their business plan is growing the business.

Pros: Food was okay.

Cons: Inconsistent pricing, Indifferent staff

Nyack Main Essentials - Edit

We were so happy to find another vegan place to eat. This place is a gem. The food was good and very reasonably priced.

The proprietor is such a warm and friendly person. He was so nice to us. He explained the menu items and made us feel welcome. We will definitely be going here again.

Pros: Good food, reasonably priced., Very clean, well maintained., Friendly comfortable atmosphere.

great buffet variety - Edit

This place has a super-friendly vibe. I like their buffet as you can get a wide variety of food--they have great greens and usually a couple of different types of seitan. I prefer the veggies to the sandwiches, though--I had the crispy chickn sandwich once and it was a bit too heavy for me. Nice juice bar as well, though I frequent that less often now that I have my own juicer. Lunch special is something like $10 for a full buffet plate plus a fresh juice.

Pros: friendly, variety, fresh

Cons: can get pricey

MAIN ESSENTIALS is the main important TING, yes - Edit

what a fantastic and kind enterprise these folks have brought to Nyack town.. caribbean style delicious vegan fare.. everything is prepared with love and a nice touch of the island spices.. already been a half dozen times.. i delved into the spicy chicken sando, the meatball sando, and the crispy tofu strips.. all crazy yum.. tried their veg stew mixed w beans and okra, sweet jesus.. and the beef empanadas are the best i've ever eaten.. love their power fruit and veg shakes too.. love the casual setting.. the server Borrato is v helpful and v kind.. and cleary v proud of the cruelty-free love he and his co-workers dish out daily.. so am i.. v proud.. do not hesitate.. go now!!!!

Great Choice! - Edit

Really tasty food! Also, Reality, who is the owner's brother and works the front of the restaurant, is warm and welcoming. The combination of the food and Reality is a winning one!

Perfect - Edit

This is a feel good kind of place. I ate a ton of food and didn't have that over stuffed gross feeling. The guy helping me was fantastic too. The place was clean and the food was fresh. I can't wait till I can take my husband back there for dinner. So many good foods left to try.

Pros: fresh food, great staff, excellent food

Delicious. - Edit

The environment is pretty good at Nyack Main Essentials. The owner is very friendly. This restaurant is kind of "buffet-style." They have some food that is available every day in addition to a regular menu. I tried the buffet, having some sort of faux chicken and rice along with some vegetables. To drink, I had fresh squeezed orange juice. The portions of food were decent, could have been a little more. The food was very good, whatever the owner uses as ingredients in the faux chicken definitely makes it the best in Nyack.

The fresh orange juice was amazing. This was my first time having the juice fresh, and I was pleasantly surprised. The meal was a little overpriced, coming in at around $14. At $10, it would have been perfect.

Overall, the food was very good, but the menu was not very exciting. Fun foods like faux chicken parm or faux cheesesteak would really make this place take off.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Owner/Staff, Great Juice Bar

Cons: A Little Pricey, Boring Menu

Delicious Carribean Vegan Food - Edit

My mom lives in Nyack so I get to eat here a lot when I visit her. The food here is very tasty! Beans, rice, plantains, greens, veggies, mock meats, empanadas (vegan turnovers), and yucca are available and very yummy. There is also lots of other great food too! The owner Enrique puts a lot of care and skill into preparing the food and it shows. Enjoy!

Pros: Yummy Food, Affordable, Nice Portions!

Cons: Not located in my town in New Mexico

Return to Nyack Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nyack Main Essentials closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4094 times since Aug 2008.