First Review by Yeliz

Best food cart! - Edit

The Dosa Man is unbeatable and makes yummy food! It is a great experience to enjoy his food sitting on a table, enjoying the sun and spotting all the things happening in the square. I believe it's very typical.
Check on his twitter page if he's there to avoid disappointment.

Great Lunch - Edit

Check twitter to make sure the cart is going to be in the park!!!
I go here for lunch quite often. Usually get the Pondicherry or the Vegetable Uthappam. The soup is super spicy so be careful. Samosa is good, too.

Pros: Vegan, Reasonably Priced

Cons: Schedule can be erratic, Uses styrofoam

Wow, delicious! - Edit

I had to take a couple of laps around the park to find him, but, boy, am I glad I did. The man who runs the cart was incredibly friendly, and whipped up my dosa very quickly. I just asked him to make me whichever dosa he'd recommend, and I ended up with an enormous plate of goodness. The dosa had a mixture of veggies, with potatoes in the forefront. Plus he added some lentils on the side. For $7 I had enough food to completely fill two people. I sat in the park and enjoyed this wonderful treat, and noticed passersby eying me enviously.

Pros: vegan dosas, friendly cook, food cart fun!

The Best! - Edit

We found this oasis in August 2009. The wait was well worth it. Best food and best service around! The owner remembers everyone's order without writing the orders down. Amazing!

Pros: great food, very friendly, awesome memory

Cons: small place

Wonderful little lunch place! - Edit

The owner of this cart was super cheerful and friendly. I have never had a dosa before but mine was excellent. I also had a veggie drumstick which was great and went down well with my ginger beer.

It was cheap, lots of food, and there is lots of room in Washington Square Park to eat your lunch. Highly recommended if only for the novelty of a vegan dosa cart!

Pros: Yummy, cheap, Friendly staff

Excellent !! - Edit

The food at NY Dosa is amazing ! It may be a bit hard to find but don't give up. Everything is vegan and cooked in front of you. And it is cheap, $6.00 for a complete meal. $3.00 for 2 samosas. It is my favorite vegan place in NYC.

Pros: great food, all vegan cart, cooked for you

Cons: a bit hard to find

Worth the hike! - Edit

The dosa cart man (Thiru Kumar) was number one on our list of eating out when visiting NYC. We had a terrible time finding him and had to keep our eye on the prize as we passed through the tempting smells in Little India and vegan treats for sale in Union Square. We got there and he was closing up early for New Years Eve and was going to be closed for 3 weeks. Therefore, we got the leftovers. Because my boyfriend is also Tamil, he sweet talked us some added goodies. We ended up with plain dosas with a smidge of potato stuffing. Even with the plainest item on the menu, we were impressed. The dosas and chutneys were perfect. Nothing was too spicy. Even the sambar, which we finished up like soup after our dosas to warm up. Really hit the spot.

I had come wanting to watch dosas being made authentically, but one of the dosa cart man's Sri Lankan groupies accosted me and started on a treatise on vegan living. Entertaining, but distracting.

This vendor is 100% VEGAN: no animal products at all. Happycow hasn't specified, so when we arrived, we asked if anything had ghee or dairy in it. We were taken to be insulting, and we were firmly assured that the dosa cart and the dosa cart man were 100% vegan. This entry needs to be updated on Happycow to prevent future embarassment of NYC visitors!

I also picked up a really cute shirt he was selling. It's printed on American Apparel and features a line drawing of Thiru with his dosa cart.

Furthermore, I suggest you order to go if in the winter, it wasn't much fun picking at dosas with numb fingers!

I wish we'd caught the dosa cart in-season. I will return again for sure.

Pros: All vegan, Good value, Fresh, delicious, and authentic

Cons: No shelter from cold in winter, Bothersome groupies, Location (unless you're a student there)

Tastiest vegan food at an unbeatable value - Edit

Everything Thiru sells is vegan. Even the sooo tasty, suspicious looking drumsticks.
This is a street vendor who has won many awards, including the Vendy Awards, topping all the hamburger and kebab vendors. And he is always nice and mostly smiling.
If you get scared by the line, just get samosas or drumsticks from the front window, you don't have to wait in line for them. And they are amazing!
Enjoy.

Pros: yummy, fresh, warm vegan lunch

Cons: long wait depending on time of day

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has NY Dosas closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6730 times since Aug 2007.