Nubo Japanese Tapas

778-265-9909

739 Pandora Ave, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W1N9

Serves meat, vegan options available. Japanese sushi and tapas. Has a vegan teishoku bento option that's available when you ask for it (not on print menu). Chef is willing to modify the dishes served in it.

Categories: Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by erase

No vegan options on menu - Edit

Not sure why this is on the list. There are no vegan options on the menu and when I asked the server, she said there’s nothing vegan but they did modify a sushi roll for me to make it vegan which was appreciated. Food was good but I wouldn’t say there are vegan options available.

Pretty Standard - Edit

We asked the two of the wait staff about a vegan meal combo, and neither of them really knew what vegan was exactly, and certainly did not know about a vegan menu combo meal.
So we just ordered off the menu hunting down a few of their vegan items (goma-ae, agadashi tofu, veggie tempura, and a couple rolls).
The food was good.
With sake and tip, it was about $80 for two people.

Pros: Nice environment, Good sake selection

Lovely vegan teishoku dinner - Edit

In a city with so many sushi restaurants, Nubo Japanese Tapas really stands out! I based my visit off the other review on Happy Cow (thank you), which mentioned a vegan set dinner, which was also mentioned on Nubo's Facebook page. I was thrilled with the dinner I received! There were tempura vegetables, seaweed and goma-ae salads, veggie rolls, veggie sushi, and a tofu and vegetable teriyaki rice dish. It was a huge dinner, and every bit of it was delicious. The staff were very knowledgeable and responsive to my request for a vegan meal. I would absolutely go back the next time I'm in Victoria.

Best Japanese vegan in town - Edit

For a good while in victoria, being vegan and going out for japanese meant some pretty generic maki and maybe a single interesting vegan roll. No longer - the Vegan Teishoku on offer here is hands down the best vegan Japanese food you can have in town.

The teishoku was quite delicious and seemed a pretty great value considering the variety of food that came with it.

The print menu doesn't yet have the vegan teishoku listed. I'm a bit shy about ordering off-menu, but when I asked about the vegan dish they had on their facebook page they knew exactly what I wanted. It was prepared quickly and matched the facebook picture exactly.

After our meal the head chef came out (whom interestingly was cooking in the back kitchen and not preparing sushi at the bar) and checked up on us. He's interested in creating more vegan dishes and said he'd be happy to rotate different dishes into the teishoku should I become tired of the same options.

My dining companion was impressed with the quality and presentation of the non-vegan dishes, so consider this a place that will suit a mixed vegan/non-vegan group.

Pros: vegan japanese

Return to Victoria Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nubo Japanese Tapas closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.