CLOSED: Nu Asia Vegan Restaurant

Contact 505-508-1908

4200 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, 87108

Opened spring 2014, this vegan restaurant offering many kinds of vegan sushi along with cuisines of Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, and China. Has gluten free options. Free Wi-Fi. Reported closed to HappyCow, Dec 2014.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Thai, Asian, Catering, Fusion

First Review by LindaB1952

Really good! Great service and menu. - Edit

Perfect lunch and service. Good variety and many options to select from. Fairly new restaurant so please suppost and visit. If I lived closer, I would definitely be a regular.

Pros: Great food, Good service, Attentive owner

Chef and owner took Thai Vegan recipes - Edit

The owner was trained as a chef at Thai Vegan and walked out with all of the recipes and opened his own restaurant 3 blocks away! Why not support the ethical vegan restaurant Thai Vegan 3 blocks away?

Pros: All the food is like Thai Vegan

Cons: Both restaurants suffer from being close

dragonfly lady Too bad Nu Asian closed. We loved the place. And I beg to differ about the recipes being JUST like Thai Vegan. Nu Asian did have those wonderful meal boxes which Thai Vegan does not have. As well, the Nu Asian chef was a great chef. I love Thai Vegan too....especially when the owner/chef is in town, but unfortunately with all of the new restaurants he is opening, the chefs that take over for him are not always as consistent as the chef at Nu Asian was. If anyone knows where the Nu Asian Chef went, please post it. We LOVED his cooking.

The best abq has for vegan asian - Edit

This is a great restaurant, the atmosphere is incredible and the food was superb. The price is vey reasonable 9.50$ for a whole dinner box is excellent. A great place with friendly staff.

Pros: Great service, Great menu, with lots of choices , Beautiful decor

A different take on ABQ vegan-asian - Edit

I recently visited ABQ and was excited to see so many 100% vegan restaurants (though most are asian-inspired). Nu Asia was my least favorite of the big 3, but had the most beautiful space and off-street parking in trendy Nob Hill. They seem to feature a menu that is a hybrid of Loving Vegan's and Thai Vegan's. My boyfriend and I each ordered the dinner combos - I the pad thai and he a ginger stirfry. They came with miso soup (which was better than Loving Vegan's miso), kimchi (good and not too spicy), salad (with the worst dressings we've ever had), two spring rolls (average deep fried rolls), rice, and the entree. The presentation was beautiful on little bento trays. My pad thai wasn't really anything like pad thai - wide flat rice noodles in a spicy orange sauce with some tofu, no vegetables - but it was fairly delicious as it's own thing. My boyfriend's ginger stirfry was good, but nothing to go crazy about. Each bento was only $10 which considering all that's in it is a pretty good deal, though not much different from Loving Vegan or Thai Vegan. The one thing this restaurant does have over the others is the beautiful space, it's so beautiful it'd make a great wedding reception venue. My boyfriend and I may return for the awesome all-you-can-eat sushi deal of $20 for the first person and $10 for the second person, but for vegan asian we'll probably stick to Loving Vegan.

Pros: Beautiful decor, Hybrid menu of other local vegan spots, Off-street parking

Cons: Average food, Not much unique over other vegan spots

Vegan Options - Edit

1st time going for lunch today.
Was in a rush and the waiter was accommodating.
Received soup, ordered caterpillar roll, pumpkin nigiri, and banana chocolate dessert spring rolls.

Pros: great parking and pretty decorating , great taste

Cons: similar menu to thai vegan-seems a bit unethical , did not have low sodium soy sauce , not organic

My new Vegan Restaurant .... - Edit

All i can say it WOW this place is way better than any other asian vegan restaurant in town ...Curry Laksa or Gluten free MIso to start before your meal is out of my imagination ... spicy fried rice is tasty and cook just right, Drunken noodles yummmy ...shitake mushrooms bulgogi on sizzling plate is like a pajitas on vegan restaurant . the server is awesome ...fast and accurate...

Try this place is highy recommended

Outdoor seating ...pet friendly ..

Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 21, 2014

Pros: great taste ....i well be back again , nice decor , sushi is top notch..

Great new addition to Abq's vegan restaurants - Edit

Had a lovely lunch at NuAsia today - miso soup (complimentary!), green papaya salad, and a Thai iced tea. The service was prompt & friendly, and the food! Presentation was beautiful and was only exceeded by the quality & taste of the food.

The place itself is charming & fairly upscale (for Abq), though the prices are very reasonable. There's easy parking behind the restaurant, which is also where the entrance is. Two handicapped parking spaces available, and the restaurant is wheelchair accessible, except I didn't think to check out the restroom for accessibility. It's a fairly recent building (constructed within the last 10 years?) so I suspect they are also ADA compliant.

All in all, I will be returning soon with friends in tow to try more of the menu items. The only reason I'm not giving them an excellent rating today is that I want to try more of their dishes first! Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Excellent quality food, Charming atmosphere, Easy off-street parking

Great new restaurant! - Edit

For our very first visit to this new restaurant, there were four of us in our party (two of whom were not vegetarians or Vegans) Soon after we were seated and before ordering, the waiter brought out Miso soup.

We ordered an appetizer of Fresh spring rolls and, as they should, they waited until we were done with the appetizer to take our meal order. Very good and freshly made rolls.

I ordered the Red Curry and the waiter said it was Malaysian Red Curry, which was slightly different than Thai Red Curry. I really enjoyed it. I requested brown rice with the meal. One other in my party had the Shitake Mushroom Bolgogi and it was delicious (I had a taste). Two others in my party had the Spicy Eggplant dish. For dessert we shared a coconut based Green Tea Ice Cream. I wasn't too fond of the ice cream but the others liked it. I prefer dairy based Green Tea ice cream but, understandably, it was not served there.

All in all, we all loved the food and the non-hurried meal. The service was very attentive and quick and they answered all our questions. Even the non-vegetarians in our group said they would be back again very soon. We very happy to have a new entry into the Vegan world of restaurants, especially one that serves such great food.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff,

Cons: none

Return to Albuquerque Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Nu Asia Vegan Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3285 times since May 2014.