NovaPizza Vegetarian Kitchen

Contact 01312375695

42 Howe St, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH3 6TH

An Italian vegetarian offering pizza and pasta. Has vegan cheese, vegan ham and pepperoni. Est. 2015. Open Mon 11:00am-10:00pm, Wed-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Italian

First Review by Oscar Linder

Favourite restaurant in Edinburgh! - Edit

I studied in Edinburgh many moons ago (happy days!), and made a pilgrimage back with my best buddy (also a vegan) to visit this restaurant. Boy o boy, it was worth the trek!!!! Really cute bistro with lots of vegan dishes available. We had pasta for mains with a side of pizza (we were hungry!) and hoovered up every morsel. Cannot wait to return... a special little place.

Cons: Best book in advance to ensure table is available.

Best pizza - Edit

What a cute little restaurant! I really liked the atmosphere, and the food was delicious. I ordered the 'vegan' vegan pizza with added quorn pieces, it was the best vegan pizza I've had, really yum. My friend had the veggie spaghetti bolognese and enjoyed it. The desserts looked tasty too but we were far too full. I'd definitely recommend it.

Pros: delicious , not expensive , intimate

Such good pizza - Edit

I hadn't had really good vegan pizza in years when I first came to NovaPizza! Their vegan cheese works beautifully, and while I don't usually go for direct meat substitutes, they make very good use of those, too. Have taken various non-vegan visitors here, and everyone's always been very well-fed and happy.

Good range of choices, expertly cooked in a charming little restaurant.

Pros: Delicious food, Variety, Versatility

Cons: Tiny space, and usually busy - book in advance!

Fabulous Italian vegan food - Edit

I first visited here in Nov 2015 and been back twice since then, my last visit was back in August 2016 and the menu is pretty much the same but there are so many great items you'd need at least 20 visits to get through everything. On my first visit I'd made a group booking for a vegan meetup and because they only have around 21 seats they asked if I could send them a list of pre-ordered food choices. I made a Word table with everyone's names and their starters, mains, and desserts. I loved this set up and I think all restaurants should require the same; it really saves time on waiting for people to make up their minds! Email correspondence back and forth was great and I had the document of food orders with me on my phone and reminded everyone what they had ordered when the food started arriving.

The pizzas came loaded with vegan cheese (or they have dairy options, too) and were delicious. My personal preference is for bases a bit more soft and doughy and less crispy, but others saw this as a plus point. Starter sizes were generous, and if you order a bruschetta you may not manage a pizza main to yourself unless you love love love bread. Really love bread. I opted for the potato, cheese, and pesto pizza - delicious!!! Then, I had the pizza dolce - two pizza base slices topped with a chocolate and hazelnut spread and icing sugar, which was also very tasty and not too overly sweet. I got the coconut cheesecake to take away which was really creamy - chocolate cheesecake was also offered as an alternative flavour.

They have wine and beer available, and also accept cards. They fill up quickly so booking is highly recommended!

More recently I had the soy bolognese pizza and my husband had a calzone, and as he was so stuffed I had most of the Oreo cheezecake all to myself. :)

Pros: Amazing cheezecakes, Loads of pizza toppings, Original pasta dishes

Cons: A little bit cramped for space

delicious! - Edit

Such a fabulous restaurant. I had the Vegetarian pizza with added fresh chillies also wine and an ice cream dessert.
Great atmosphere. Brilliant soundtrack. Exciting menu.
Can't wait to go back!

Pros: great menu

Cons: none

Best Pizza in the World - Edit

I thought I'd already tasted the best pizza in the world but then had dinner in Nova and realised that this is the home of the best. Small, unassuming and homely in a traditional Italian red and white checked tablecloth style, Nova's ambience is cute and quaint. However the pizzas are seriously scrumptious.

With a full, extensive Vegetarian and Vegan menu boasting Vegan cheese, Seitan and every veg topping you could possibly desire my meal here on Wednesday 9 November 2016 was truly fantastic. Our party of four people, carnivores included, all loved Nova.

We ordered both Vegetarian and Vegan pizzas and calzones. My pizza which was called the "Vegan" on the menu came topped with mushroom, onion, sweetcorn, peppers, aubergines, courgette and Vegan cheese and was delicious. A couple of bottles of really great Pinot Grigio, a bargain at £10 each, complimented our food perfectly.

Although full after our mains we shared a Vegan peanut butter and jam cheesecake, just to sample it, and it was luscious. Nova definitely needs to be booked in advance, as there wasn't a free table during our midweek visit and we were very glad we had pre-booked a table.

A constant flow of people called in to collect takeaway pizzas, yet despite the fact that staff were extremely busy the service we received was flawless. The one and only problem being that there isn't a Nova Pizza in my own hometown of Belfast. I'll definitely be returning when I'm next in Edinburgh.

quality food - Edit

based in stockbridge just a short distance from town. Novopizza is a friendly welcoming eatery offer a total vegetarian menu, with a double page vegan menu.

a good choice of starters, i have the bruschetta which was really good offering a good slice of bread, covered in vine tomato gently cooked in olive oil and balsamic, not oily at all.

there are plenty of main options and i went for the vegan pepperoni which was was on a thin base and well cooked, the vegan cheese was a much stronger flavour the mozzarella and was bubbling over the pepperoni and tomato base. my friend had the veggie calzone which was huge and came with a small side salad.

visited again recently and upped to 5 coos. it's not about the veggie food, its also about the ingredients. he only uses organic flour in his pizza and when we spoke about this he said i have a five year old, i want her to eat good food. Owners who believe in what they are doing not just out to make money from a growth in vegan food.

the one think i wouls like to add is that it does great pasta. nearly everyone i know gets pizza and has never tried the pasta, give it a go it's great.

Updated from previous review on 2016-02-18

Pros: location, organic produce, staff

lunch - Edit

Lovely cosy little spot. It's tiny but the food is amazing. We had a Vulcano vegan pizza and vegan spaghetti both with fake meat.
Best vegan cheese we've ever had. Really lovely meal.

great pizza - Edit

I had high expectations, but they got lived up to! I really liked the orginal concept of having an almost vegan pizza place. Would've given 5* if they were completely vegan.

Pizza's were good and staff was friendly. Recommended!

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: not completely vegan

Epic pizza! - Edit

Oh. My. God. Best vegan and gluten free pizza we have ever had. I had the veggie with lots of vegetables on and a really good melty vegan cheese. The other half had the pepperoni and he couldn't believe it wasn't real pepperoni. We also had the gluten free pesto pasta to share. We ordered for delivery and the staff we spoke to on the phone were really helpful in advising for allergens. Must visit for any vegan /celiac its so good and true to the "real" Italian counterparts.

Pros: Gluten free bases , Lots of vegan options, Loads of toppings

Cozy pizza place - Edit

We had a bruschetta and a soup as starters, two vegan pizzas and two vegan cheesecakes as a dessert. The food was for the most part lovely but one of the pizzas was pretty burnt on the back, making about a third of it completely inedible and another third not really enjoyable.
The vegan cheesecakes were especially nice (we had coconut and chocolate).

The staff was friendly and the place was pretty cozy and full, but we managed to get a table without a reservation, though it's probably better to reserve in advance.

Pros: Lovely cheesecake, friendly staff

Cons: burnt pizza

Most warmly recommended - Edit

Unequivocally the best vegan pizza I had so far (white quattro stagioni with mushrooms)!
Lovely staff, nice atmosphere, clean and inviting venue.
Unfortunately they were out of vegan tiramisu, but the vanilla ice cream (soy) was neat, too.
The only downside is the limited seating - I was there on saturday for the first time and came again on sunday, but it was ridiculously full, there were even like five or six people standing in front of the door in the rain waiting for a table.
And it's a little bit off downtown, but forget it! I'll would almost walk 500 miles just to eat dinner at NovaPizza.
Very good value, worth every penny! Recommended, you bet!

great! genuinely fabulous vegan menu - Edit

Lovely little Italian. I would recommend booking in advance as limited space. Had the pesto bruschetta and when it arrived it was huge!! I though I would never make it through it... But the pesto was really good and before I knew it I had polished off the starter! I had the pesto spaghetti for main and again it was delicious. I am always disappointed when in Italian restaurants pasta is considered a whole meal as I would always want some veg or something with it ( but that's personal preference ) I would say get there and enjoy!! The menu is amazing for vegans 🌱👍🏾 wish I lived in Edinburgh so I could work my through the menu. But will definitely return to this place on my next trip.

Pros: wide variety of vegan options, clear vegan menu, delicious

Namm namm namm!! - Edit

Great service, cozy place and pizzas with a homemade touch. You can get vegan versions of all the classic pizzas such as pepperoni or ham and cheese. If you're in a mood for lasagna they also have that. I really recommend trying they're delicious homemade food :)

authentic experience - Edit

Intimate Italian restaurant with limited seating. advanced booking advised. I had the bruschetta starter which was delicious. Lasagna wasn't great, but presentation was nice. Partner enjoyed the calzone.

Pros: authentic, lots of options, friendly staff

Cons: not the cheapest

Believe the hype! - Edit

Was super excited to try Nova pizza after hearing so many people rave about this place online and how good their cheese was. Huge selection of vegan dishes which I'm not use to and made it so hard to choose! I went for their vegan pizza which the most vegetables as possible and it was great! Cheese was delicious -was only my second time trying vegan cheese as
I'm so wary of it but it was really nice. Service was quick considering how busy it was and the pizza was so filling the staff kindly put some in a takeaway box for me to have later!

BEST VEGAN PIZZA EVER ! - Edit

amazing little genuine itallian but all vegetarian place . with as many vegan options as standard veggie . it is quite possibly some of the best food i have ever eaten and very reasonable priced .i strongly recomend all vegans who pass through edinburgh try this place it is only a small place so book ahead as you really wont want to miss out

Cons: none .

Incredible authentic Italian vegan-style - Edit

An incredibly rare example of an independent authentic restaurant offering an entire vegan menu with loads of choice of pizzas, pastas, calzones, and even alcohol (finding vegan red wine whilst dining out is just magical). I cannot recommend this place enough. You know it's good when you eat there two nights in a row.

Pros: Insane choice for vegans, Excellent service, Vegan red wine

Excellent - Edit

This was a great place for keeping both the veggies and vegans happy, with a wide range of options for both, and helpful and friendly staff who were willing to accommodate an annoyingly large range of random dietary questions from our group. Highly recommended.

One minor gripe: they did claim it was fully wheelchair accessible, but there is in fact a single step up to the entrance. This led to the (amusing to the other patrons) sight of three grown men trying to heave an incredibly heavy electric wheelchair a few inches over said step. We managed it, but it might be something to keep in mind...

Amazing - Edit

Absolutely loved this place. Great variety of foods with pastas, pizzas and calzones. It's been a long time since I had a pepperoni pizza so it was amazing to finally try one again. We had the bruchetta to start which was really tasty and split a pizza. The food was fantastic and very reasonably priced. Staff were really friendly and it's close to the city centre. This will definitely become a regular for us!

Pros: Big selection of classic Italian dishes using vegg, Reasonable prices , Central location

Wonderful little pizza place - Edit

Very vegan friendly. There was a separate vegan menu listed at the back of the menu and there was just so much choice! I had the cheese and mushroom bruschetta for starter which was just so delicious and then me and my friend had a pizza each and shared half and half so we could try more of the flavours. Words can not describe how good these pizzas tasted, I normally eat 'healthy' vegan foods so I've never had vegan pizza or tried vegan cheese or imitation meats so I can't make any comparisons but this was just soo good. Had the chocolate cake for dessert and that was also heavenly. The service was also superb. A definite recommend. At first it seemed pricey but when you take into account the service, atmosphere, taste, choice and the fact this is the only place I've actually left feeling full since going vegan it was definitely worth it.

Pros: great service, relaxing atmosphere, great tasting food

Cons: not the healthiest ;)

Vegans: Eat here ASAP - Edit

The vegan options at this place are absolutely amazing.
Definitely try the 4 cheese mushroom bruschetta or pizza. So so so delicious.
If you can fit cheesecake you definitely should too

Pros: Great staff, Good location , Amazing vegan options

Cons: a little pricey, but still worth it

Very very good pizza - Edit

Lovely thin crispy pizza base with nice topping - I had aubergine and courgette with a bit of the vegan cheese. Nice little place, genuine Italian chef who knows what he's doing.
Recommended.

Pros: Vegan choices, Families, Couples and groups

Best vegan Pizza ever - Loved this place - Edit

Hands down, this was the best vegan pizza I ever had. I took the vegan rustico pizza with vegan mayo and cheese on it and it was delicious! My partner who is not vegan had a vegetarian pizza and also loved it.
The restaurant is small but cozy and the staff was very nice. Since we went on a Monday afternoon we had lots of space but I could imagine it gets crowded there on evenings so I'd book a table in advance.
If you find yourself in Edinburgh, go here! Its only a short walk from the town center.

Pros: Best Vegan Pizza, Nice cozy atmosphere, Nice Staff

Great vegan pizza! - Edit

It is a LOVELY little place, with great staff, food and smells!

I enjoyed the zuchinna which had courgettes and vegan mozzarella. For dessert they do slices of pizza topped with vegan chocolate and icing sugar, so good!

It only has five tables, so booking is a must.

NovaPizza is great for visiting vegetarians and vegans who want somewhere that will please their whole family!

Pros: Amazing vegan and vegetarian food., Friendly staff, Good value.

Cons: Slow service

Best vegan pizza EVER! - Edit

I always loved pizza and was happy to find this place! They have the best vegan pizza I had so far. The "cheese" is so yummy! ♡ My non-vegan boyfriend was blown away too. Lovely staff btw too!

Excellent Vegan Pizza - Edit

My girlfriend and I visited NovaPizza a few days ago on the back of a number of positive reviews we had seen on the internet. Being a pizza fiend in my pre-vegan days and having had limited vegan eating options in Edinburgh for the last few years it seemed a little too good to be true to have a vegan pizza place so soon after Henderson’s Bistro made the switch to 100% vegan, so I didn’t get my hopes up too high prior to our visit.

The restaurant is small and seems to be very popular, so booking is advised. At times the staff did seem to be struggling to cope with the number of people and service was quite slow, but they were also very friendly and polite and apologized for the wait, so it wasn’t an issue. Décor is fairly uninspiring – perhaps more to be done on this in future.

There is a vegan menu (always appreciated!) with a number of pastas and huge range of pizzas – we ordered a courgette pizza and a ham calzone. I tried both and loved both – especially the bases which are among the best I’ve had, vegan or otherwise. We finished with the pizza dolce, a very thin pizza base with chocolate and icing sugar on top and enjoyed every bite.

It’s understandable that people will take so many positive reviews with a pinch of salt as it’s easy to get excited at the mere promise of authentic vegan pizza given the scarcity of pizza options when eating out, but having been underwhelmed before (mainly with La Favorita’s delivery pizza) I can honestly say these deserve all the praise they are getting.

Great pizza. - Edit

Good selection of vegan pizzas here, and the one I tried was really great. One of the best vegan pizza I've ever eaten.

The staff was friendly, but could pay the customers a bit more attention, so it had been possible to order more to drink example.

Best Meal Ever! - Edit

Amazing place with delicious food, the vegan cheese isn't greasy like on normal pizzas and the taste is exactly the same. I would recommend everyone to get the VEGAN CHEESECAKE OF THE DAY because words cannot describe how AMAZING it tasted!!! Hands down the best food I have ever tasted

Pros: Vegan cheese , Cheesecake ingredients organic, loads of options

Not only veg, but also the best pizzeria in town! - Edit

As you probably already know, the vegan scene in Edinburgh is not big. So It was a real pleasure to find this hidden Italian perl! Food is great, prices are perfect and service is friendly and professional. Will be back soon, thanks guys

Pros: Friendly staff, Quick service, Affordable prices

Fabulous vegan pizza - Edit

I came here earlier this week on a recommendation of a friend and was very impressed. It's always a good sign when they have a separate vegan menu, which in this case offered a wide range of pizza and pasta dishes, including vegan cheese and meats. I had a 4 Stagioni pizza which was very good! The atmosphere is quite a casual cafe experience which makes a nice contrast to the fancier vegan and vegetarian restaurants about. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great vegan menu, Nice pizza, Cosy cafe atmosphere

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has NovaPizza Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.