Nova China

22-2086418

Rua de Passos Manuel, 203 A, Porto, Portugal, 4000-385 Porto

Serves meat, vegan options available. Opened since 1973, specializes in ta raditional Chinese food. Has daily and a la carte menus marks the vegetarian choices, of which some may be vegan or can be made vegan. Almost all dishes are made-to-order. Staff is aware of what is and what isn't vegan, so be sure and inquire, especially about soups, Chinese rolls and others. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm. Closed 3:00 pm - 7:30 pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by Anticopy

great food - Edit

Delicious tofu with vegetable, few options. the best meal is massa (home made noodle) soup! Also reasonable prices.
However, they claim to be open from 19, but you may happen to arrive 19:30 and it is still closed.

Cons: the opening time was strange

Delicious, authentic Chinese food - Edit

We loved this place. The staff are incredibly helpful and have a good understanding of veganism. The vegetarian menu is extensive and we were told the only items on it that were not vegan were the soups and they could be made without egg if we wanted. Most of the desserts are vegan too. We had three main dishes, rice and a side, a dessert each and a bottle of wine and it came to less than €30. Would definitely go back.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Knowledgeable staff, Good value

Cheap and Vegan w/chopsticks - Edit

I had come to this place some times because it's pretty cheap (if you go for the menu, only veganized options are the Menu H and Menu I) and in the city center.
The staff speaks perfect portuguese (half portuguese born) and has knowledge on what vegans eat, so going there, ask for a vegan version (might not be possible because of the schedule of the cooking staff).
I had the cheapest menu (submitted in the photos) for €4.40 and ate a vegetable roll, white rice and chinese veggies with tofu and sauce plus a coffee.
It is possible to have some more veganized items, like one or other soup (but you have to ask the staff what can be veganized because some won't work without the egg or fish stock and some can be made using vegetable broth).
Maybe some desserts also, I don't know since I'm not a dessert type of person.
Well it is pretty good to have a safe option in this part of town, since some vegetarian/vegan places ask at least double of the price, and many people like me and my friends cannot afford, we are not tourists in "our" city.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-27

Pros: Price for the Menu, Location, Chopstick food

Cons: Too much oil maybe, Number of vegan options

Return to Porto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nova China closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.