Nourish Bistro

403-760-3933

110 211 Bear St, Banff, Alberta, Canada, T1L 1A8

Vegetarian cuisine restaurant, re-opened Aug 2013 after move. Small space, one might share a table with others. Creative bar menu. Live music some nights. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Loudan1979

fricken awesome! - Edit

Broccoli coconut soup is delicious as well as the nourishment bowl. Mmmm

veg Gem! - Edit

Noorish is a vegan's dream in Banff. The entire menu is vegetarian & almost everything is available as a vegan dish. The vegan Mac & cheez is done with gnocchi when you get it vegan. So good!!!!!

Quirky veg restaurant bar - Edit

I came here with another backpacker (meat eater) to try out the vegan menu options and we both shared the lentil shepherd's pie along with some nachos. All was delicious & so filling and surprised even my meat eating travelling friend! Would definitely visit again for dinner if I go back to Banff. The only drawback is the staff could be more friendly and welcoming

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-06

Pros: plenty of vegan options , Live band

Cons: Host not that welcoming

Delicious Vegan/Vegetarian/Gluten-Free Food, Cozy and Laid-Back Atmosphere and Friendly Service! - Edit

I ate lunch at Nourish Bistro in August 2016. This was the first restaurant that I stopped at upon arriving in Banff after a long road trip from Manitoba and it was an amazing choice! Nourish was a charming and casual local restaurant that specializes in gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan foods, serving a variety of fresh, healthy and nutritious meals.

I ordered one of their salads, which was large and filled with lots of yummy ingredients and it tasted so fresh, flavourful and delicious. It was also beautifully presented. Their mild but fruity flavoured kombucha tea was also very refreshing and tasty. There was both indoor and outdoor seating and I sat on the sidewalk patio in front of the building, which was a great place to watch the bustling street activity and admire the beautiful surroundings with tall mountains as the backdrop. There were umbrellas over the tables to protect from the sun and it was a beautiful warm and sunny day when I visited.

My server was super friendly, warm, cheerful, personable and knowledgeable about the menu. The restaurant had a funky and laid-back vibe and great welcoming atmosphere with relaxing music playing softly in the background and unique decor. It was a very comfortable and cozy place to enjoy a delicious lunch.

This restaurant is the perfect place to eat for vegetarians, vegans and gluten-free eaters and anyone else who loves good, real food. I was very pleased with the quality of food and excellent level of service at Nourish and I will definitely eat here again when I return to Banff! Highly recommended.

Pros: Charming, Delicious Salads, Warm and Friendly Service

Cons: Expensive

Finally. Made it to Nourish. - Edit

An intimate restaurant. Warm and friendly. Great staff. Welcoming, interested and knowledgeable. Spoiled for choice by the extensive menu. Everything had vegan options. Amazing.

Pros: Charming, Reasonable

Seemed promising but was underwhelming - Edit

I ordered the nachos, which are labeled as vegan on the menu. I asked the server if they were automatically vegan or if I had to specify, and she told me they were vegan. When they came out, the cheese looked suspiciously legit, and it turned out the server had not requested vegan cheese. I would think that an item labeled as vegan on a menu would be vegan by default, or that the server would at least ask, especially at a vegetarian restaurant. The non-vegan appetizer made me reluctant to eat the mac and "cheese," which was very stretchy. Unfortunate, because it seemed like a cute place with interesting food options.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Cons: Vegan items not always vegan, A bit pricey

Scrumptious food - Edit

What a wonderful little restaurant! We are only in Banff for one day, but lunch was so delicious that we simply had to go back for dinner, even though it meant waiting for a table. Everything we had was fantastically tasty and beautifully presented. We can recommend the burritos, the burger, the poutrine and ESPECIALLY the nachos.

For dessert the vegan cheesecake is gorgeous, and I could forgive the blood orange sorbet for being a little too sweet for my taste because of its beautiful presentation and array of little extras like dried strawberry slices!

We are visiting Canmore and Banff this Christmas as a family, and as two of my daughters are vegan we will most definitely frequent this restaurant, as, unusually, all of the dishes can be made vegan.

Pros: Exceptional food and friendly service

Cons: May have to wait for a table, and you will eat too

Different - Edit

We visited while staying in Banff having done our research before hand on Happy Cow.
For us, a group of four vegetarians with differing tastes , the concept that each dish was a sharing dish was novel and ultimately disappointing.
We each chose a dish that we liked the sound of and it was explained that each dish would be served separately for each of the party to share. We chose two smaller dishes and one main (King Kong noodles). While the two smaller dishes were tasty the noodle dish lacked vegetables and nuts and certainly did not look like the picture on the website.
Perhaps this was just not too our taste but we left feeling very disappointed and still hungry

Pros: nice to find restaurant catering for vegetarians a, location

Cons: Could opt for sharing dishes in the evening, small 1/2 size portions (only just enough for one), main course nothing like image and lacking in veg

amazing beautiful food - Edit

best vegan food possibly ever. we were there at lunchtime and first thing the waitress said to us was that anything on the menu could be made vegan- and not just by removing items. absolutely stunning food, highly recommend. would go to banff again just to eat here again. seriously.

Pros: everything can be done vegan.

Cons: nothing.

Sooooooo good! - Edit

We had a great time. I'm vegan and my boyfriend is gluten free, and yet we had a wonderful time. Very casual atmosphere, great service, and the best mac'n'cheese we've ever had. Highly recommended.

Pros: Modifications for vegan and gluten free easily. , Delicious food, Good service

love this place - Edit

yummiest food on the planet

Fun place and good food. - Edit

I had 2 appetizers, 1 entree and a smoothie. All were very good, but the order-taker and/or the cook didn't follow my order very well. I got it their way instead of my way.

A new favourite for us. - Edit

Love, love, LOVED this restaurant. We all really savoured the 2 dishes we ordered; the Curry Corn Chowder soup (AHmazing!) and the King Kong Noodles? (a curry dish)Numnumnumnum!!. Even my 15 year old son, really loved these dishes and he's not a fully committed veggie. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the server and the food was DE-licious. Wish I could have the recipes!! What a find!

Pros: Great Food, Atmosphere, Option of eating outside

I wanted to love this place - Edit

I have heard such good things about this place. One of my friends raves about their nachos. I finally had the chance to go while visiting a friend who was in Banff from Australia. I dragged him there and we wound up shoved in an awkward side corner table. There were plenty of other free tables but they gave us the weird one. next our server wasn't the best. Wasn't sure what was for sure vegan and had to go and check if the things we were interested in ordering had honey or dairy in them. Strike 2. We both wound up ordering the same thing, the TJ burger. When it arrived we realized it didn't come with anything on the side. Literally nothing. With a price tag of $15 we expected something. Even some little greens or a sliver of carrot. The burger also was super small and was not very tasty. The only thing I appreciated about it was that the presentation was pretty with a gooseberry on top. I should mention that I don't like gooseberries so my friend ate mine.

I tried to see the positive in this place but I just couldn't. I won't be back.

Pros: Could be cute, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Small portions, Insane prices, Bad service

Funky atmosphere, great food! - Edit

Enjoyed a lovely Thai inspired curried sweet potato and veg coconut soup with fresh focaccia, Thai peanut sauce with naan and the chef's curry with coconut rice. Nourish Bistro has "sharing suppers". Food is delicious and portions are huge!

Pros: Funky atmosphere, Quality ingredients, Friendly service

honey isn't vegan - Edit

Vegans beware. This place thinks honey is vegan. It's in many menu items, even if you order vegan and tell them you're vegan they will serve it to you and be annoyed if you send it back.

Otherwise the food is good, if a bit overpriced.

mixed - Edit

I have gone here a few times. The food was good but the last time i went they fed me dairy (I'm vegan). The waiter noticed something on the table had some cream sauce on it and offered me a drink (I declined). I wasn't very impressed and the waiter really didn't seem to care. I really don't have respect for a vegetarian restaurant who can't figure out how to feed a vegan. I won't go back.

Pros: creative food

Cons: rude staff

Good veg option in Banff - Edit

Being the only veg restaurant in Banff, my wife & I went here 3 times during our recent stay in Banff. The food was really interesting, with a lot of fruits used in various dishes (particularly strawberries). About half the menu is vegan, but pretty much everything can be made vegan. The flavours were very rich/strong with a lot of cheese being used. Most were tasty while the vegan mac & squeeze was the only dish that was really disappointing. Lunch is a better option than dinner, with the music at dinner being uncomfortably loud. Overall decent food in a fairly un-vegan friendly town, and worth a visit.

Updated from previous review on Saturday October 18, 2014

Pros: Good vegan options, Interesting food, lots of fruit used, Big portions

Cons: Not vegan, A bit pricey, Loud music at dinner

Return to Banff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nourish Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.