Nong Jay

Contact 085-8857223

102/12 Patiphat Rd, Muang Phuket (at Soi Nappakoon), Phuket, Thailand,

Located on the right hand side as you go up the hill, this large place that looks like a garage. Order on demand ala carte menu in addition to a selection of pre-packaged vegetarian food and ingredients to take away. Has English menu. Formerly known as JJ's Vegan Restaurant. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by dcchris

We ate for two people and then some! - Edit

Food was great... Asian proportions, we ordered about 6 dishes for the 2 of us. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the Thai Sausage... had an odd (almost moldy) taste to it. Mass man curry, morning glory, spring rolls, mixed veg with tvp, etc.... all were delish! small grocery store at the front. Staff warmed up to us once we kept on ordering food! Overall good food experince... kitchen appeared unclean (but non more than the average Thai food vendor)...

Pros: cheap, good food, flavourful

Cons: very little English, appears unhygienic

Typical Thai Restaurant - Edit

As a vegan you usually won't find anything to eat in these typical Thai restaurants - except if it's an all vegetarian place! This is great, extensive menu (however not every dish was available). There were quite a few people when we were there (all Thai of different ages, and also families - so a good sign). Food was good, salads pretty spicy. The restaurant set up is typical for Thailand (and might be putting some tourists off) - however, if you want to experience real Thai cuisine and eat with other locals rather than tourists, this is one of the places.

Pros: local, cheap, all vegetarian

This is more of a cautionary tale than a food review. - Edit

Nong J’s > Phuket
102/12 Patiphat Rd, Muang Phuket (at Soi Nappakoon), Phuket, Thailand,

085-885-7223

This is more of a cautionary tale than a food review.

When we first saw it from across the street it looked dirty and run down. We almost left but because we read so many good reviews on Happy Cow we decided to go in.

Wow this place is in bad need of someone that cares about cleanliness and presentation. No better inside than the impression we got from outside, in fact worse.

Stood wondering if we should leave. Someone came over and handed us a greasy menu. Really mixed between what we were seeing with our own eyes and the rave reviews we had seen.

So we sat down at a table to look through the menu. Lots of interesting looking dishes and all of them cheaply priced.

Then the plastic table cloths on a couple of tables beside us caught my eye. Where they hung over the edge of the table it was evident they had never been removed for cleaning. There was mold growing on the table cloths!

That did it, we were not about to risk going to the hospital with food poisoning because some people on Happy Cow said it was good there.

With all the great choices for places to eat on Phuket Island where the owners care about upkeep and cleanliness and health safety it is beyond me why anyone would eat here???

Vegetarian – mock meats – fried mock chicken

Lots of interesting things on the menu.

10a to 9pm Closed Sundays

Pros: Interesting menu

Cons: Filthy

Sooooooo Happy!! - Edit

We traveled to get to this place as a part of a day trip. The food came out very quickly and did not disappoint, In fact it exceeded expectation. It was so cheap and so good! Cheap drinks available too with a cup of ice provided for each person on the table.
We tried about 6 dishes, fake catfish curry, fake fried chicken, duplings,bamboo & mushroom in gravy, basil vegetable with mock meat and the pork which for me was too close to the real thing!! Pleasant service too.
Absolutely amazing - a must for anyone visiting Phuket.

Pros: Cheap, Really really tasty, Clean toilets

Amazing food that will make second guess that it's vegan! - Edit

My wife and I are always searching for the next level in vegan food, and we definitely found it at Nong jay! We ordered catfish curry fry, basil vegetable, bamboo and mushroom in gravy, pork, fried dumplings and fried chicken! I was so surprised at the taste and texture of this food! The pork was so much like pork it was scary! The catfish and soup where the best. We ate so much and at 50baht a plate it is just spectacular ! In Australia each meal would be atleast 400 baht. You have to experience this place if in Phuket! The owners are so nice and they also have a shop that sells fake crackling and beef jerky as well as noodles and snacks. The best part is that even though we ate so much protein, sauce and flavours, we did not any tummy cramps or reflux at all! I will forever remover this place. Thank you Nong jay :)

Pros: mock meat, cheap cheap, sooooo tasty and textured

Cons: underrated , could charge 4 times the price

Decent Vegan Meal - Edit

The meal was not bad. Thought there would be
more veg in the dishes I ordered. Got 4 meals for 200 BHT so very cheap. Minimal oil used.
There is a photo posted where the person says the restaurant has moved 100 meters down the road but I think that is actually a different vegan eatery.

Good vegan restaurant - Edit

Simple restaurant with common thai food, a lot of food with mock meat. I prefer don't eat mock meat because it is not tasty in Thailand and sometimes look like real meat, so I can't chew it. At first I try to find just veggie dishes in menu, but it is just couple. Massaman curry was ok (will be perfect with big pieces of potato only). Fried dumplings and crispy mushrooms was ok too. No air-con, free water on a table, normal food.

Delicious, cheap and lots of choices. - Edit

This place has a good atmosphere, lots of choices, is all vegan and has lovely staff who are more than willing to help.

Definitely one of the best meals I've ever had!

Highly recommended.

Pros: Quality food, cheap, English menu, not too much oi

Cons: None!!!

Great flavor, great value - Edit

One of the best meals i've had on the island.

I had the "catfish with curry paste," which was delicious — and, to my delight, was actually mostly veggies and just enough faux fish to give it extra flavor and texture. Also had the "crispy fried mushrooms" as an appetizer, and they were very well prepared: very crunchy batter without too much oil, and a nice dipping sauce.

Contrary to earlier reports, there are a number of vegetable-oriented dishes (rather than mock-meat) on offer here: morning glory, mushrooms, water spinach, Chinese kale, etc. The first thing the server told me when he came to my table was, "I can make salads." So it appears that they understand that many of us want more green. In fact, the last page of the menu features a list of "healthy foods."

The servers were very sweet. Average cost per item is about 35-40 Baht and, considering the high quality of the preparation, it's very good value.

Lots of locals eating here, which is always a good sign.

There's a shop selling various snacks and also some interesting vegan sweets.

Enjoy!

Pros: great flavor and texture, all vegan, very inexpensive for the quality

tasty & cheap - Edit

the menu is full of stuff like meatballs, catfish, so at first I was confused, luckily there was an english speaking women who helped me out. These were just names for their soy (and other) meat replacements. Food was very good & very cheap. Hope to go back some time.

Pros: very tasty, cheap, friendly people

Cons: they dont talk English

Always great - Edit

Depends on your taste. This place focuses mostly on meat substitutes rather than loads of veggies. I like it just fine and when in Phuket it is my evening meal place to go. The large family who runs the place are very friendly and many local people eat there.

Pros: food is tasty, price is local, people are very nice

Cons: no English is spoken and can be problem, the English menu incorrect translations, closed on Sunday ;)

Return to Phuket Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nong Jay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3305 times since Dec 2012.