Nix

Contact 212-498-9393

72 University Place (at Greenwich Village, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10003

A vegetable based restaurant opened Jul 2016 by chef John Fraser. Open Mon-Thu 5:30pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Mediterranean, Fusion

First Review by ElliottPina

Poor value and service despite decent food - Edit

I had high expectations but left underwhelmed. The décor was nice and clean, simple yet elegant. The food was perfectly fine—some of it was quite tasty actually—but that's where the good ends.

The prices were grossly inflated. We ordered two dishes from the "lighter" section and two from "bolder" at the recommendation of our server, not knowing everything was meant to be small portioned. So after the four plates, we were already out $70 but still felt like it was unfinished. We paid $16 for a cauliflower "tempura" dish that was basically a milder riff on the Indian-Chinese classic gobi Manchurian, which would've been half the price, twice the portion, and three times the flavor at an Indian restaurant. The pricing of the other "bolder" item was even more puzzling. For $26, we got a chopped asparagus and mushroom stir-fry with slices of scallion pancake thrown in. It wasn't bad, just ridiculously overpriced. The total bill came to $80+ after tax and tip for just four appetizer-like plates without drinks or dessert.

Our server came off cold and uninterested. She didn't check on us even once. Nor did she bother to point out the vegan dessert options; she just put the menu on the table and went off. Not that I found anything I'd like anyway given the sorbet seemed to be the only vegan choice. We ended up walking a few blocks down to Lifethyme for dessert. And it was awesome.

Pros: decent food, décor

Cons: poor value, cold service

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nix closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 231 times since Jul 2016.