Nine Mile

Contact 828-505-3121

233 Montford Ave, Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28804

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual, full-service restaurant and bar in Historic Montford. Caribbean inspired pasta dishes, rice dishes, traditional pasta dishes, daily specials, and desserts. Uses local organic produce & products whenever possible. Sauces are made in-house and food is cooked to order. Menu denotes which items may be made vegan. Another outlet at 747 Haywood Rd.

Category: Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Caribbean, Non-veg

First Review by jeribella

Nice atmosphere, okay food - Edit

The atmosphere was very relaxed and welcoming and the staff were friendly. The food was just okay though. Went with my boyfriend who is from the Caribbean who said the jerk wasn't very authentic. It wasn't bad and I would probably go again at some point if I ever visit Asheville again. Some vegan options, but not a ton.

Great Sauces - Edit

All you really need to know is that you can substitute tempeh or tofu as the protein on just about any dish, so the menu is wide open for vegans. Most of the entrees are then tempeh/tofu, rice/pasta/couscous, and vegetables. What differentiates the dishes are the excellent sauces. We had three different sauces and all were great! You can add some kick to the sauces, or have them mild.

Our waitress was vegan and simplified everything by explaining the above.

Also ample, free, on-street parking, which isn't the case for many of the vegan friendly places in Asheville.

Pros: Braised Tempeh And Tofu, Sauces, Service

Cons: Non-vegan Items

delicious Caribbean-like vegan food! - Edit

This place is fabulous for vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores. I had the 9 mile special with double vegetables and zucchini substituted for pasta. Divine!! Great staff/ ambiance/reasonable prices. Definitely check it out!

Pros: cool place, delicious vegan/begetariam food, Jenner

Vegetarian

Contributions +16

Best Vegetarian Nachos I've Ever Had! - Edit

We ate here sometime near the end of July 2013/beginning of August 2013. The service was great. We loved the atmosphere.

We ordered the nachos as an appetizer. I've had a lot of nachos in my time, but these may very well be the tastiest *vegetarian* nachos I've ever had. The smoked gouda cheese sauce seals the deal. You should definitely "big up" the nachos - the added veggies are worth it!

I also tried a bowl of their chili. I can't say it's the best vegetarian chili I've had, but I'd recommend it to other chili lovers.

For entrees I believe I had the Nine Mile with tofu. This dish had some of the best tofu I've ever had prepared in a restaurant with plenty of that Caribbean jerk flavor. My partner had their special of the day - some sort of mango tofu dish. She loved it just as much as I loved the Nine Mile. I'd recommend trying something with tofu here - they do tofu really, really well.

Next time I'm in Asheville I'll be heading to the Nine Mile!

Pros: Delicious Tofu, World's Best Veg-Nachos, Awesome

Great food, cheap prices - Edit

Was with 2 omnivorous co-workers travelling through and I suggested this place based only on its convenience to the highway. Next time, I will suggest it for its great food. Everything that is vegan is clearly marked, they have dairy-free pesto, fantastic bread, tempeh chili, and tofu available as a sub all over the place.

Pros: Price, Food, Staff

Cons: Inauspicious entrance

Jerk - Edit

Nine Mile is currently my favorite place to eat and has been for a while. I fell in love the 1st time I ate there. From the little lamps on the table (during dinner) to their "His Majesty" salad dressing to the delicious dishes. They, without a doubt, serve the best tofu in Asheville. I cannot get enough of it. Combined with jerk seasoning and a big bowl of pasta and veggies, it's fabulous. The dinner meal begins with a small simple salad and even it tastes great. The hummus appetizer is great too, although a tad overpriced. Careful with the spice of your meal. They have gotten very heavy-handed with it before and it ruined my whole meal. If you're not a fan of spice or not sure how much is enough, start with mild and work your way up. Go with the pasta on any of the dishes. If you choose rice, you just don't get enough of it.

Pros: Romantic feeling at night, Good vegan options, Cheap lunch

Cons: Parking

Vegan Yum! - Edit

One of the highlights of our Asheville trip this Thanksgiving! Lunch portions are huge for being under $8.00, so I cant even imagine how much you get for dinner. Natty bread is soooo good! My kids loved all four of the dishes we ordered, huge success! Raggy Road with Tofu was our favorite! I uploaded pictures of all four of our meals with descriptions. Enjoy!

some of the best vegan eating in asheville - Edit

even though asheville has plenty of veg dining options, one of our favorites is nine mile. their menu is on the smaller side, but everything vegan (or vegan option) is clearly marked. and usually the special can be made vegan with tofu. one of my favorite dishes is more fyah, which includes jerk tofu, pasta, great veggies, and a sauce that's to die for (and customizable by how much heat you like). their dairy-free pesto in the irie ites dish is out of this world. and the natty bread that's served with the meal is also vegan, and also delicious. we even got an extra side on one of our trips just to dip it in the leftover sauce from our meals. so good.

what's great about nine mile is that the dishes are pasta-based, but you can choose rice, pasta, quinoa pasta, or raw zucchini noodles. there are definitely options for those who might not want pasta. the portions are huge -- and you get a salad & natty bread with entrees. all dressings are vegan. and the price is excellent. we always leave absolutely stuffed (and i can definitely eat!) without having any appetizers or dessert.

i highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the asheville area. i would give it 5 stars if happy cow would let me. excellent food, excellent service. we'll definitely be back.

Pros: awesome food, great prices, great service

Vegan Friendly, Fun, and Affordable for the Family - Edit

Nine Mile is one of my favorite restaurants in Asheville. While it is not a vegan restaurant, the chefs and staff are knowledgeable about veganism and are able to accommodate a vegan diet. Most dishes are served with pasta but you are able to substitute rice, quinoa macaroni, or live angel hair (zucchini) "pasta" for any pasta dish. Furthermore, their house bread - the natty bread - is vegan, I believe all of the salad dressings are vegan, as is the chili. I highly recommend Nine Mile, especially if you are trying to eat out with a group of people with different diets. Nine Mile is kid friendly, as well.

Pros: fresh food, healthy food, reasonably priced

Cons: not entirely vegan

Awesome pesto! - Edit

Fried tofu is their standard substitute for meat in the dishes. The pesto sauce in the "Irie Ites" was fabulous. It's made creamy with sunflower seeds! It was really busy on Saturday night - we waited for a good 30 minutes, but the wait staff was great! They easily accommodated vegan. The "Nile Mile" was OK. Nice overall vibe and great live music.

NINE MILE - Edit

YUM!! My current fav. Although I look at the menu and I can't really see the difference among the dishes. But what I have had is very good. Best thing is that the portions are big enough to share. We get a salad and extra bread. Orange dressing is tasty. Sometimes busy, parking is street, so try to go off-hours.

Pros: very good food, able to share, good beer selection

Cons: busy, parking, limited menu (pasta or rice)

Best Pasta in Town! - Edit

Yes, the menu consists of pasta and that's about it. It's a Caribbean inspired pasta place, what do you expect? Their pesto pasta is dairy free and is AMAZING! The tofu is actually cooked right, it is so hard to find good tofu in a restaurant. I recommend go trying it. But, if you don't want pasta, go somewhere else because that is all they have.

Pros: food, veg options, friendly staff

Cons: pricey for dinner

amateur - Edit

I've tried this place twice and I don't like it. None of my dinner companions have liked it either. It gives the feeling that a bunch of college kids planned the menu based on what they know how to cook. The menu is almost entirely pasta dishes (although they do offer a quinoa pasta option) and everything is a bit bland and uninspired - even things that are billed as spicy don't have much heat. The hummus appetizer didn't taste fresh or homemade and instantly gave me what seemed like a massive MSG headache. Although there are multiple names for what is essentially the same thing, there are really only a couple of vegan options and these are just spaghetti with tofu cubes and one of 2-3 sauces. And there's a chili. If these were well-prepared, fresh and creative tasting that might be enough, but it all seems amateur and a little off with the flavor choices and spicing. What they call "natty bread" is mediocre garlic bread and along with hummus and salsa are the only appetizers on the menu. I actually feel bad panning this place because I really wanted to like it. I know a few locals who would recommend it, and although that surprised me at first, I think that's in part because they have a good selection of beers, and also might be due to the fact that it's located in a neighborhood that doesn't have any other restaurants. I would much sooner eat at home, but I guess if you live in a dorm it might be worth it.

Pros: lots of beer choices, north side of town

Cons: dull food, not a varied menu, possibly msg?

i love this place! - Edit

the tofu is amazing! the owners & staff are always wonderful! the prices are really great too, especially for lunch! & they have vegan pesto!if you get a chance to get by there you really should! peace, love & tofu!

Pros: delicious!, supports other local businesses!, atmosphere!

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nine Mile closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2817 times since Oct 2009.