First Review by

Very pleased! - Edit

I'm not sure why this place is rated low. The staff was very helpful with informing my family of 4 what is vegan. The food is delicious! We had to wait a long time and everyone was super hungry but it was worth waiting for. The burger buns weren't vegan so they put it on sliced bread without us even asking them to. I tried a vegetable sushi roll, hot sesame noodles, the chips and salsa, falafel wrap, and fries. All great! The wrap meal was huge! And only $7.95.

Pros: Affordable, Delicious

Just meh - Edit

Tried this place today or lunch with an omni friend. We split veg Gyoza (weird texture) & tempura scallion/carrot roll (great but apparently fried in meat firer!). I got the fried tempeh gyro in a grilled pita with tahini instead of tsatsiki & fries. The tempura had a great texture but no flavor & the sandwich desperately needed some onion. Our waitress knew nothing about vegan vs. vegetarian items & when questioned about the green bean fries she said the kitchen wasn't sure & "they just threw the box into the dumpster." what? Ew. BBQ sauce has honey. Up-charged me for the tahini & a DOLLAR for a single slice of tempura tomato (I half-okingly said I'd like to try it). There are better places in Wilmington who actually understand their own menus!!

Pros: Cheap, Diverse menu

Cons: Slow service, Most items not vegan, Unknowledgeable staff

vegan-friendly downtown Wilmington - Edit

Nikki's is known for their sushi but they have a great menu of veg sandwiches and wraps with your choice of sides. Fresh ingredients, nice atmosphere right downtown on Front Street. I get the veggie-wrap with sesame noodles.

Pros: fresh, sake, beers

Cons: people gorging on massive sushi rolls

Good Veggie Wrap - Edit

I ate the veggie wrap and added avocado with a side of sticky sushi rice. This place is more vegetarian friendly than vegan friendly but the staff was knowledgeable as to which menu items had dairy and eggs so that helps. I do highly recommend the veggie wrap. If you are a strict vegan avoid the fries - the fryer is shared with meat items.

Pros: lots of veg choices

Cons: needs more vegan choices

Watch Out!!! - Edit

Though they are voted the best vegetarian restaurant in Wilmington, it is barely vegetarian (if you stand by your diet that is). a majority of the 'vegetarian' items, particularly the fried ones are cooked in the same oil as the meat products. We've gone there a number of times and finally the waitress at the downtown store alerted us to this fact. If you go, you're getting sushi, just not the tempura! or morning star procucts, which you can make at home, for twice as cheap. So, if you go to Wilmington go to Tidal Creek or go home and cook...

Pros: Sake, Staff, Music

Cons: Misleading, Vegetarian Food and, Vegan Food

Good Food, Okay waitstaff - Edit

My fiance' and I recently visited Wilmington, NC and for the few days that we were there we frequented Nikki's (the one on Oleander at the Independence mall) quite a few times. The food was good, I can't say the greatest ever, but it was a solid "good". However, you'll probably want to go during the day during the week (think a little before or after lunch time). Skip after normal work hours or the weekend unless you're ok with a wait because they get crowded fast!

Pros: good food, some healthy food, good food presentation

Cons: very noisy when crowded, slow service when crowded

Return to Wilmington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nikki's Fresh Gourmet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2045 times since Oct 2007.