CLOSED: Niginigi

n/a

2-1-31 Sainen, Kanazawa, Japan, 920-0026

Vegan deli near JR Kanazawa station. Uses locally sourced ingredients for meal, snacks, and drinks. Hosts workshops. Est. 2016. NOTE: maybe closed/shut - please verify and let HappyCow know. Confirmed closed April 2017.

Categories: Vegan, Japanese, Organic, Take-out, Catering

First Review by pammkins

I enjoyed it - Edit

I really liked this place, and would happily return.
I had a similar experience to the last reviewer, there was a bento available, some onigiri (with ume or sesame), cookies. We ordered everything, and ate them there. The place seemed quite popular and plenty of locals were coming in when we were there.
I don't know how much I can criticise about bento boxes, because being veg, I did not have the chance to try one in japan. The principle is that it is a cold boxed lunch to take away. there is rice, and 5ish dishes on the side of varying colours/types to give different flavours. There is no real "ratio" other than that.the rice was very sticky, and I found i needed to pick up the whole thing with my chopsticks to eat it. I suspect because it was cold, that is why it lumps together more, and the rice she uses is a bit different, and perhaps with more water than normal, I'm sure there is a rational for it. sides included pickled veggies, a starch, a curry. It was small but cheap, and I was delighted to try a bento box.
The locale was pleasant and seemed to show a lot of alternative places in kanazawa.

Pros: Finally a vegan bento box, very very cheap, delicious

Cons: small

Disappointing - Edit

Went here to pick up some lunch to take on the train. They only had one option which was a takeaway lunch box with rice and some veggie side dishes. There was so much rice compared to the veggies and the rice was really sticky and mushy. The side dishes tasted quite bland, but there was so little of it anyways. If you like eating a lot of rice, you probably won't mind this lunch box. Maybe their lunch boxes on other days might be better (we went on a Monday). My partner and I agreed that it's probably our least favourite vegan meal in Japan. Their vegan cookies were slightly better but still nothing to shout about.

Pros: Friendly staff, Convenient , Cheap

Cons: Bland food , Small portion

Return to Kanazawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Niginigi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.