• Nicoco Hawaiian Gelato

• (11)
  • Ice-cream Ice Cream

Makes coconut-based vegan gelato which is sold at select retailers and here at this walk up. Offers numerous rotating seasonal flavors. Has gluten-free waffle cones. Shakes available.

Venue map for Nicoco Hawaiian Gelato
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by EleaE

ccbreezy18

Points +134

17 Nov 2023

Friendly Staff & Delicious Ice Cream

The shop is super cute! The ice cream was so delicious. I ordered an affogato with chocolate & sea salt ice cream and it did not disappoint. Our little one ordered a strawberry & hibiscus waffle cone and she loved it; I snuck a taste and it was very good. Honestly it was probably the best vegan ice cream that I’ve ever had.

Pros: Helpful & knowledgeable staff & owner, Delicious ice cream

cwarrick1

Points +1495

09 Nov 2023

Omg! Yum!!

What a wonderful experience and fabulous gelato too!! Homemade waffle cones, exotic flavors, and super friendly owner. I can’t wait to come back to Hawaii!! This is going to be my first stop!!

Pros: 100% vegan , Crazy good, Exotic flavors

Cons: Can’t think of one???

emmalovesanimals

Points +751

26 Feb 2023

Hands down best gelato!!

We love this place! Our favorite place to treat ourselves on the island. We’ve tasted countless flavors but my personal all time faves are juniper mint chip and espresso chip. Always the a cone, always. Love Nicoco!!

Pros: Best gelato, Fresh, local, organic flavors, Incredible freshly made cones

Cons: Closed Sunday/Monday (when I always want to go)

vickerbasket

Points +1039

Mostly Veg
12 Feb 2023

Delicious and Unique

We got the juniper mint chip and the golden macadamia (so good!!!). I had regretted getting a small instead of a single but no longer. We happily ate it all.

The decor is very pastel and features their dog who also made an appearance.

KelseyOlsen

Points +299

15 Jun 2022

Best Hawaiian Gelato

Got a delicious chocolate milkshake, which was my first one of four years!

DustinSmith

Points +388

11 Jan 2022

Waffle cone!

Nicoco has a phenomenal flavor selection and the best fresh-made vegan waffle cones. An essential Big Island treat!

ManhattanTransfer

Points +190

04 Sep 2021

Phenomenal vegan gelato - amazing variety of flavors

I will admit that my family are vegan ice cream snobs and have been fortunate enough to enjoy vegan ice cream in many different parts of the world. Berlin is probably the best vegan ice cream town in the world due to the large number of places selling vegan ice cream, the high quality and the low prices. Nicoco could hold its own with any vegan ice cream joint we have ever been to, and would give the Berlin vegan ice cream scene stiff competition. For $5 we got the small cup, which was actually a very generous serving and allowed us to try two flavors. First cup: chocolate and strawberry. Second cup: Macnutella and lillikoi/lemongrass. All four flavors were incredibly good, and while the base is coconut, there was no strong coconut-y aftertaste as can happen sometimes with coconut-based vegan ice creams. Only regret is not having enough time to return the next day for more!

Pros: Many and innovative flavor choices, A bargain!, Great location in downtown Hilo

valerie_california

Points +137

Vegetarian
26 Jul 2021

Delicious AND adorable

Wow wow wow. We loved everything about this place from the pastel, cheerful decor to the super friendly staff, adorable dog, and amazingly rich vegan ice creams. We a tried a single scoop of two different chocolate flavors, one of which was made with shaved chocolate from a local chocolate shop across the street. So decadent and unique. This shop should absolutely be at the top of any vegan's to-do list in Hilo!

Pros: Unique flavors, Adorable decor, Super friendly staff

Popcorn!

Points +135

03 Jun 2020

Cute and tasty

The gelato will be tasty for vegans and non-vegans alike! So many flavors and lovely service. Cute little shop.

Pros: Lots of options, Not too expensive

ijereOnunaku

Points +42

05 Mar 2020

Yummy!

Such a cute place & so many unique flavor options! I got a large (4 scoop) bowl with a cone on the side to break into pieces & dip into the gelato. The cookies-n-cream was one of my favorites!

Pros: All vegan, Friendly staff

EleaE

Points +84

24 Jan 2020

Vegan, organic & GF gelato? YES!

Great find. Homemade and cooked waffle cones. Also cups available. At least 12 flavors of creamy gelato to choose from. Delicious!!

Updated from previous review on 2020-01-24