Nichiren - Nhat Lien

Contact 063-3821126

17 Huynh Thuc Khang Phuong 4, TP, Da Lat, Vietnam,

Vietnamese Buddhist restaurant. The kitchen seems to be in the Art Deco house and the restaurant is in the glass-walled newer section with views and outdoor seating area. Nice atmosphere with crockery, rattan chairs, glass-top tables, fireplace, soft French, English, and Vietnamese music, wall-hangings & sculptures. Non smoking inside. Directions: in the same street as the Crazy House on the same side of street down a few blocks. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese

First Review by Niffty

Nothing too special - Edit

We never made a bad experience with vegetarian restaurants during our five weeks in Vietnam, but this one still was one of the "worse" if one can says so. You don't do anything wrong by going here, but there are better choices. Service was nice, unfortunately both dishes we chose first weren't available.

fills a gap - Edit

We combined a meal here with a visit to the Crazy House but, as others have said, I would not go out of my way to eat there again.

It's worth visiting for the amazing sculpture garden as you enter. It's a small front yard inhabited by a life size Pegasus, a carved wood mermaid, a one eyed giant's head protruding from the ground, along with a bunch of other curiosities and potted plants. The decorative vibe continued inside with a carved wood theme - lots of Buddhist statues. Although I enjoyed the slightly kooky but still tasteful interior, the atmosphere was a little eery somehow. There was another large table eating when we visited but a very still, heavy silence hung over the room. Some tunes would've been nice.

Unfortunately the food made far less of an impression than the decoration. The menu is quite huge. A lot of the mock meat options are fishy and I'm not a fan of mock fish. In their English translations, none of the dishes sounded particularly inspiring. I ordered fried beef noodles. The waitress came back to tell me they were out and pointed to something translated as "shell noodles" which turned out to be macaroni with quite a nice variety of crisp sautéed veggies, oyster mushrooms, and a few chunks of fake chicken in a plain, salty sauce, thickened with corn flour. It was fine with some chilli and soy added at the table. My partner ordered a simple spinach, garlic, and tofu which arrived without tofu but he enjoyed it anyway. We shared the crispy rice flour pancake which was also not the best I've had. It was crispy at the edges but soggy in the centre where it should've been chewy. Can't honestly recommend any of the dishes we tried. The tea they serve free is delicious - perhaps the highlight of the meal which is very telling, really.

Good, healthy veg food - Edit

Good menu, although some of the translations are a bit strange. Healthy food, as well as fried foods can be ordered. Lots of veg and rice options, as well as noodles, and soups.

The restaurant was very quiet though, on approach we thought it was closed but there was one guy shuffling around inside who was reluctant (in a shy way) to take our order. Was strange but kind of nice to have a whole big restaurant all to ourselves - was peaceful for reading. Food was good and moderate price. 40,000 VND for white rice and veg dish.

Pros: Healthy Food, Moderate Price, Near to Crazy House

Cons: Overly quiet atmosphere

Convenient if going to Crazy House - Edit

We visited Crazy House and then walked down the street to Nhat Lien. We were pleased with the interior, and happy to discover that one of the guys running the place is Vietnamese American, so communicating was no problem. They were unable to make the avocado shake vegan, unfortunately.

We ordered a vegetable dish with lemongrass curry that turned out to be fake snail, though as far as we noticed, it didn't mention this on the menu. Even though I knew it was fake, it kind of grossed me out, haha.

We also ordered the spring rolls, which my husband and I both thought were too dry/lacking in flavor, and a noodle dish. Overall, the food just didn't really do it for us. Things were either over-spiced or too bland. Maybe we were just there on an off night, as there are so many glowing reviews, but we much preferred our meals at Hoa Sen.

I'd rate it somewhere between a two and a three.

Pros: Good prices, Nice interior, Perfect English

Cons: Food isn't great

Must eat - Edit

Its a lovely restaurant, on the same street as Crazy House.
The food is cheap - My boyfriend and I got two mains, an entree and two drinks for $4. The portions are very good and the food is very delicious.
The atmosphere is lovely, the owner speaks very good English and is very friendly and easy to talk to.
They play music every night except Monday nights and don't mind if you want to get on stage and play yourself!

A place everyone should check out whose visiting Dalat

Pros: Cheap, Good portions, Friendly atmosphere

Nichiren - A wonderful experience - Edit

Nichiren is a lovely restaurant near to the famous Da Lat Crazy House. If you are facing the Crazy House - take a leisurely stroll down the road to your right and you will reach Nichiren in about 2 minutes - it's a nice quiet walk. It's on the same side of the road as the Crazy House.
The food is decent. There are two other reasons to visit Nichiren - 1. it doubles as an animal sanctuary 2. the owner is very charismatic, speaks great English and has wonderful stories to tell. I would have actually stayed longer in Da lat just to hear more.
As far as the food goes - make sure you repeat your order otherwise you might find you double on things.. but I didn't mind as I loved being there!

Pros: Nice food, Fascinating Owner, Animal sanctuary

Good Stuff ! - Edit

Eat in a wonderfully creative setting with a garden full of statues, chunky carved wooden furniture and bonzai trees with tasteful music played from a good sound system. The eccentric owner is very friendly and helped me to order as he speaks fluent english. I had stir fried mixed veg in a good sauce with mounds of gorgeous freshly cooked sticky rice. The 'Chicken drumsticks' of soya moulded on to lemongrass stems was delicious as was the 'chicken' stir fried with lemongrass and chilli. The presentation was the best I have come across so far in SE Asia complete with heart shaped cucumber garnish. All that food, including a cup of black tea to start with and a pot of Vietnamese lotus tea with my meal, came to 55 000 Dong - just under £2.

The best food I have had in the country so far - a big thums up and definitely worth going the distance. Only 15 000 Dong from the other side of town by xe om (motorbike taxi). The Crazy House is just down the road and well worth seeing while you're in this affluent neighbourhood with amazing old architecture.

There are some wierd things on the menu like snakes heads, if you're brave enough to try them. That reminds me, I saw veggie chickens feet in Chau Doc.

Pros: clean, arty, good setting

Cons: distance from town

Great mushrooms - Edit

Good food, great mushrooms in clay pot.
A quiet place in the suburbs, handy if you are visiting crazy house.

Pros: Reasonably priced, quiet location, cool climate

Cons: staff have limited english

just loved this place - Edit

We just loved this place. According to their business card their mobile/cell number is 012.123.95.123; and their email address is "[email protected]"

Pros: ambient music, nice atmosphere, comfortable

Nhat Lien Great relaxing Com Chay - Edit

This Has to be the best Com Chay in Dalat.A very quite spot.A very classy set up I was so impressed with the whole package.Food ranges from Faux meats to western style Hamburger and chips.Prices in the 20000 Dong plus range.We had a great feed which cost $19.00 AUD for 3 people including drinks.You can call into the Crazy house then head up the road to Nhat Lien.We stayed at the Chau Au Europa Hotel , which I highly recommed as well $20 USD for 3 people.From our Hotel its about 10 minute walk.

Pros: great food, good value, great location

Cons: medium portions

Return to Da Lat Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nichiren - Nhat Lien closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2036 times since Jan 2009.