CLOSED: Nha Hang Chay Thien Phat

Contact 0439410584

91 Ly Thuong Kiet, Hanoi, Vietnam,

Vegetarian restaurant with another outlet in Hanoi Old Quarter, both opened in Dec 2013. Some dishes come with mock meats, a few contain egg, others with a honey glaze. Vegan to ask. Confirmed open, Nov 2014. SEP 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Vietnamese

First Review by Dangoasia

Thien Phat - Edit

Well it seems to have been said by some previous posters. The restaurant is very clean, more upper market judging by their prices. But we found the dishes we had very ordinary.
We had Phở cuốn for starters 3 pieces cut in half 60,000d ($2.50),we sent back as the fresh roll wrapper had a bad odour. we shared clay pot of shitake mushrooms 80,000d ($3.50), mixed veggies and stir fried noodles 80,000d each.
The mushrooms shitake were whole and seemed to taste very sugary. The veggies were good but a bit flavoured, seems to be a common occurence dining here. Noodles were a bit overcooked.

Pros: clean and good ambiance, large menu

Cons: noticed they do serve eggs., bit too many mock meat dishes, bit over seasoned and sweet

It was okay... - Edit

I attempted to dine at this restaurant 3 times whilst staying in Hanoi. One night I arrived at 9pm (admittedly late) and was told that the restaurant had closed. After reading all of the positive reviews, I was keen to try again. I arrived at the restaurant at 7:30pm the next night and again, was told that it had closed earlier.

On my third attempt a few nights later (around 7pm), I found that the restaurant had maybe 10 people dining and was able to sit upstairs. The service was quite good and the interior of the restaurant and atmosphere was very nice.

After looking through the menu several times and scouring over the many options, I couldn't really see much that I was very interested in. It seemed to be more Chinese style than Vietnamese food (or perhaps a mixture of styles). I ordered a tofu and vegetable hotpot style dish with noodles on the side. It didn't really have the robust flavours I had been used to in Vietnam up until that point, and was more of a mild syrupy broth with broccoli, caulifower and a few other vegies.

I can't speak for the quality of the rest of the menu, but I've had better vegetarian food in Hanoi for a similar price (e.g. Uu Dam Chay). Still worth checking out, but perhaps not for those who want a vegetarian version of the classic tasty vietnamese cuisine on offer elsewhere.

Pros: Comfortable and relaxing, Good service

Cons: Food was just okay

Lovely staff and food - Edit

This place is close to Mercure Hanoi La Galore hotel which is in the centre of the city. Food was good and with a new taste. The set menu for one was filling with two options. Cost around usd 7 only. Must try. For group of 4 or 6 they also have set menu, which is also worth the price.

Pros: english speaking staff, variety in chinese vegetarian food

Cons: if you go late around 8 pm, most of the set lunch

Did not meet expectations - Edit

Went to this place based on the glowing reviews and were really disappointed. After a few days in Halong Bay where the food was AWFUL we were really excited to be in Hanoi. We went on a Saturday night and were the only customers. Service was attentive and the restaurant clean and pretty. We ordered the banana blossom salad which was GREAT, the only good thing about the meal. We ordered the ´pork and rice rolls´ which tasted like rolled up FLOUR and bean spouts, inedible. We got the roast chicken (written to come with veg spare ribs, spinach and taro, got none of this) however the chicken was a good mock meat. Finally, got the stuffed tofu (lotus seed and mushroom) which others have raved about and it was cold and had an msg-reminiscent gloopy flavourless sauce.

Fine, maybe we just picked the wrong dishes. I can accept that. However, when I tried to send the inedible rolls back and asked for that to be taken off the bill, this was not done. We should not have had to pay for something so vile and inedible but there was a language barrier with the staff and the manager didn´t want to come talk to me. The rest of the staff just stared and giggled.

So, take a chance if you want, there is a huge menu (a lot of other seems to try the set menu, perhaps go for this). Or, try one of the other good places (JALUS IS AWESOME) in Hanoi. The best food in this city doesnt come from a poncy, empty restaurant...

Pros: Banana Blossom Salad, Location

Cons: Awkward, Microwave, bland taste, Poor descriptions, lost in translation

Superb little gem - Edit

Small and beautifully set, this restaurant impresses from start to finish. We went for the set menu options and definitely got our money worth. The food was well presented, clean and bursting with flavour! The mushrooms are almost too good!

I'm moving away from mock meats but this was superb.

Highly recommend!

Pros: Loads of options, Great place to bring omnivores

Cons: Drink list needs a few more options

nice vegetarian food - Edit

Great little upscale place. We ate two different combo platters and really enjoyed both. The menu has all kinds of meat listed, but it's all vegetarian.

Pros: cheap by American standards , fresh tasting

Cons: moderate by Vietnamese prices

A Great Vegetarian Restaurant In Hanoi - Edit

Went here twice in 3 days. The place is very well decorated and and looks very nice as compare to smaller food place here. First day came with a friend and we ordered a set dish and one extra dish. Food is very delicious and we are very happy with the dinner. The portion of food serve is large. The second time here I ordered a set lunch which comes with a soup, rice, one salad, one vegetables, and a fried fake pork. All are very well prepared and presented. Both time the place is quite empty, but that does not matter as the place is comfortable and service is very satisfactory. Although is not busy my food came out about 10-15 minutes. Probably they really take their time to prepare it very well and presentation is great. The place looks very high end but price is moderate as a person meal about USD 5 to 10. The old quarter restaurant is close, the one I went to is 91 Ly Thuong Kiet.

Pros: Clean and comfortable, Attentive service, Well prepared food and presented

Good quality restaurant - Edit

The food served here is really good, with tasteful dishes. Friendly staff, nice decoration (even though the screens on each table seem a little weird to me) and AC.

The price are a quite higher than the usual com chay places so really good to treat yourself once in a while.

Enjoyable Veggie Meal - Edit

Came and had one of the set meals. Enjoyed everything, all very clean tasting though some dishes could have used a bit more... something. Was happy to be in pleasant, clean restaurant with a/c though, and I'll take I can get with regards to veggie eating in Vietnam. We got very confused with some reports saying there is a branch in the old town, but after pinpointing exactly where it should be, it isn't there. Only what looks like a furniture store. Don't waste your time wandering and looking around for an old town branch like we did.

Pros: Veggie, Service, Clean

Cons: Could Use A Little More Flavor

Very nice decor, clean, great flavor. - Edit

The meal was really great... Everything tasted amazing and the service was excellent. We did get a touch of food poisoning the next day but I think it was Backpacker's Moon that gave us the bad food.

Pros: Clean, fresh flavors, Fair price, Excellent environment

Tasty vegetarian food, some vegan options - Edit

Everything we had there was amazing (the omnivores were happy, too). We were there in January 2015. The decor was beautiful as well.

Pros: Great food, quiet

Cons: Can be hard to tell what's what

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Nha Hang Chay Thien Phat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2625 times since Feb 2014.