First Review by Shauna333

Lovely - Edit

This place was absolutely lovely. It can be a bit tricky to find, but if you follow the directions on here, you will be ok. We went there after a walk in Ueno park. The food was really nice and the location quiet and lovely. I really enjoyed. You might need to ask for the English menu if you can't read Japanese.

Pros: Great food, Quiet location, English menu

Cons: Can be tricky to find.

Beware/Use caution! - Edit

Cafe was closed yesterday (Wednesday) just after 2pm after we had travelled far to go to this place and were desperate for lunch. The place was closed and the roller door was half down, with no apparent reason. What a shame. Be careful to not make the same mistake we did and maybe ring ahead if your Japanese is good. We walked to Hotto instead (look up on Happy Cow) which was a 15-20 min walk and luckily they were open and awesome!!

Wonderful lunch - Edit

I had the daily special, it was delicious. There was miso soup with cabbage, rice with something pleasantly salty on it and panko crusted veggies and fake meat with some pickled veggies, it also came with tea. The atmosphere was calm and relaxing, it was such a peaceful place to eat lunch. Well worth the 1200 yen. I brought my 14 month old and the server (very friendly) brought me a high chair (although no straps or tray so I had to pull it up next to me to keep him in it) I'm definitely going to go back there this week. It's so hard to find food as a vegetarian who speaks no Japanese, it was wonderful to have somewhere nice to go and enjoy a meal without worrying about eating meat.

Pros: Delicious , Quiet, Friendly service

Delicious Japanese meal - Edit

I went for lunch on a weekday. They had an English menu. There were two set lunch options. My set lunch had a rice bowl with seasoning; salad, pickles, a sweet dish made of pumpkin and cashews; one main dish with a lot of vegetables, tofu and mushrooms. They also served tea. I really liked the taste. It was a nice experience.

I went to the adjesent microbiotic grocery store by the same owner. Not every thing on this shop was vegetarian. But the shop owner knew exactly what I can eat. I bought some vegan organic breads, cakes and cookies. All were very nice. I highly recommend this place.

Cosy lunch stop - Edit

This was a really nice lunch stop - a small walk from the Ueno park area, but worth the visit. I had the lunch set, which included and amazing deep-fried savoury pancake filled with cabbage and other great things, a close roast vegetable salad, home-made pickles, miso and brown rice. I found this incredibly filling, and good value for 1200 yen. It had a nice neighbourhood feel as well, with a mix of locals and tourists.

Sweet little restaurant - Edit

With Google maps, we made our way to that nice little restaurant.

It is easy to order with their english menu and we got a very delicious japanese all vegan lunch. Regarding two of the other reviews: If the lunch set is too small for you, you may order additional brown rice for only a small upcharge. But my husband was also satisfied with the standard portion.

They offered a lunch set (consisting of main dish, deli, brown rice, miso soup and pickles), a curry (also with brown rice and pickles and a salad) and a rice ball set. Additionally they have cake, coffee and juices.

Also I can add that the waitress was so sweet, that she wanted to give me an umbrella because it was raining outside. That was really hartwarming.

If you are in that region of Tokyo it is definately a great opportunity to visit the restaurant.

Pros: Great japanese food, Friendly staff

nezu - Edit

We stumbled upon this place on our way to another cafe and it was great

English menu available

Please note the Pictures of the front of the cafe actually are not from the main Street. The cafe has two entrances with the one we went through was the front of the small vegetarian supermarket which is owned by the restaurant owners

Lunch and cake set was delicious!

Mid priced

nice, quiet place for lunch - Edit

I came here for lunch awhile ago. It's hard to find if you're unfamiliar with the area so you may want to ask someone. Prices are reasonable and the vegan Japanese food is prepared well however I was still hungry after finishing my lunch set. There aren't really any other vegetarian restaurants in the area so if you're exploring this part of the city, it's a welcome escape. But as the other reviewer said, I wouldn't make a special trip here. I liked the connected natural foods store more than the restaurant itself; they had a large variety of goods that I haven't been able to find at other natural stores. I bought some brown rice mochi (mashed rice cake) that was delicious.

Pros: competently prepared, reasonably-priced, nice adjoining store

Cons: hard to find, small portions

Lovely! - Edit

I visited here in 2011, so apologies if things have changed since then!

I was visiting the Yayoi Museum & Takehisa Yumeji Museum and this was in the area. It was VERY hard to find! I wandered around for quite a while trying to track it down, and it was in the side of a side street off the main road in Nezu. Maybe helpful to print out hte name and address in japanese to ask a local, as I got lost!

I was the only visitor, and not entirely sure I had the right place, but after showing the lady working there my translated sheet of all the things i cannot eat (vegetarian, no cheese!), the lady said that was all ok.

I ordered the set and got a bowl of brown rice with a bowl of miso and some spring rolls and pickles. It was all really tasty, especially the spring rolls which were crisp and flavoursome. I then had a cup of sweet tea afterwards. Ir was all lovely, but very small portions. I was just having lunch, but wasn't completely full.

I wandered into the shop afterwards and they had lots of veggie things there.

All in all, fine if you're in the area, but don't go out of your way.

Pros: Beautiful crockery, Delicious spring rolls

Cons: Difficult to find, Small portions

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nezu no ya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4524 times since Aug 2007.