New Moon Cooperative Cafe

Contact 360-357-3452

113 4th Ave W, Olympia, Washington, USA, 98501

Serves meat, vegan options available. Breakfast and lunch place established since 1998. Makes its own dressings, soups, and blackberry jam. Has ovo-lacto veg dishes on its menu, a few of which could be made vegan by omitting dairy, etc., like the tempeh rueben sandwich. New menu with more vegan options, May 2014. Mon-Fri 7:00am-2:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-2:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by

NEW MENU - Edit

Any review on here before they re-did the menu in 2014 is no longer relevant! The old menu was terrible for vegans... But I'm rejoicing! I used to go to this place when I first moved here in 2009 and there was nothing to eat for vegans... the Tofu Scramble (which is hard to do a bad job on) was the only option and it was seriously unseasoned tofu.... tasted like water, in a bad way...

NOW the menu is way more vegan friendly (vegan biscuits and gravy, vegan specialties, daiya, tofu, and tempeh options... you can make things on the menu vegan, etc) it's great. and the other thing that's great is they focus on making the vegan options affordable and tasty! The place is worker-owned, so the workers actually care if your food tastes good. The food tastes like -intention- and it's awesome. Good ingredients. The service is slow, but only because the place is small. If you can be patient, the waitstaff have big hearts and the food is killer.

Favorite meal: Vegan Delite with tempeh, steamed kale on the side, with a vegan biscuit. and I often indulge and add avocado and mushrooms. I feel like i can run a marathon when I'm done. I'm serious. I eat there a couple times a week, at least.

I've been vegan for ten years and this is one of the only places I go to eat (but i'll see you at da nang, nineveh, or QB)

Pros: excellent vegan options, Worker-owned, Friendly place

Cons: Gotta wait in line

Excellent - Edit

Excellent food, service, setting. Worker owned and collectively run. I'd definitely recommend this as a priority to the Wild Traveling Vegan passing through town.

Pros: Delicious, Worker owned, Collective run

Decent vegan selection, friendly staff - Edit

First time doing vegan breakfast in Oly and I was impressed. The tofu scramble and fried thyme tomatoes are excellent, as well as their coffee. Not many options, unfortunately, and most had at least one ingredient that makes it non-vegan (e.g., hollandaise sauce on the tofu benedict, feta on the tofu delight). Small restaurant that quickly becomes crowded, and as a result the service wasn't fantastically swift. The outside table is great if you like people-watching in Oly and not-so-great if you dislike noisy logging trucks.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious scramble, Relatively cheap

Cons: Not many vegan options, Small, Slow service

COLOR ME DISAPPOINTED - Edit

STOPPED BY ON A TUESDAY LATE MORNING FOR BREAKFAST. HAD HEARD THEY HAD GREAT BREAKFASTS, AND BETTER YET HAD SOME VEGAN OPTIONS. MY HUSBAND THE OMNIVORE HAD A GREAT MEAL. ME THE VEGAN , NOT SO MUCH. AFTER TELLING MY WAITER THAT I WOULD BE ORDERING VEGAN, I ASKED IF THEY HAD EARTH BALANCE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR THE TOAST, HE STARED AT ME AND I NEW HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. HE THEN SAID, "OH YOU DON'T WANT BUTTER?" NORMALLY THIS WOULD NOT BUG ME BUT WHEN I FIND YOU ON HAPPY COW, I EXPECT THAT YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT "VEGAN" IS. I ORDERED THE TOFU SCRAMBLE AND THERE WAS A CHUNK OF SAUSAGE OR TWO IN IT. IT REALLY DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO CLEAN A GRILL BETWEEN ORDERS. WHAT
THAT TOLD ME IS THAT THEY DON'T EVEN WIPE IT OFF IF FIXING
SOMETHING VEGAN AFTER PUTTING MEAT ON THE GRILL, YUCK!
THEN INSTEAD OF GIVING ME A NEW PLATE (IT CAME WITH
HASH BROWNS) THEY JUST BROUGHT ME A PLATE OF TOFU SCRAMBLE
AND LEFT ME WITH THE OLD ONE WITH THE HASH BROWNS. NOT COOL IN MY OPINION. MY MEAL WAS DRY AND LACKED ANY IMAGINATION, AND NOT MUCH FLAVOR. TO SUM IT UP, IF YOU ARE A OMNIVORE THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO EAT, IF YOU ARE VEGAN FORGET ABOUT IT. I WILL NOT RETURN. :(

Pros: GOOD FOR OMNIVORES, GREAT PRICES

Cons: VEGAN FOOD IS LACK LUSTER, STAFF AND COOK NOT VEGAN SAVVY

surfaces Yikes. I hope you're experiencing greater peace these days. It isn't fair to get angry at someone who didn't recognize the name of a particular brand of dairy-free buttery-spread; I blinked a couple times blankly at the first person who asked me if I wanted "dye-uh" on my pizza... I think my lips were probably poised in a "W"-sound face as I tried to fathom what they were talking about. I've been vegan 10 years... but that doesn't mean I inherently (through *VEGAN MAGIC*) know some engineered cheese-substitute brand-name, I'd never heard of Daiya. Also, I'm a professional computer technician and will gleefully help you locate and repair your Caps Lock key for a small fee. PM me.

Tofu Scramble! - Edit

I went here for the first time last week. I wish I had gone sooner. MUCH better than Darby's for breakfast. I am vegan but not a huge fan of tofu and I had never had a tofu scramble until I had it here. It was FANTASTIC! I will be going back a bunch. Also my boyfriend got a open faced breakfast sandwich with hollandaise sauce that was also great. In addition we both had the hash browns and those were great as well. The server's are so nice zero additude! Lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. And they ARE open on sundays now.

Pros: Great vegan food, great staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: NONE

Friendly service, much can be veganized - Edit

This is a decent place to eat for vegans. Nothing on the menu is actually labeled as vegan, but many items can be "veganized." My server (who I think is also the manager) was extremely friendly and helpful. He went through the menu with me and named off things that could be veganized, and made sure my sandwich was on vegan bread. Unfortunately, I don't think they offer any vegan pancakes or other really breakfasty things.

The food is typical diner fare, but good. I've been searching for a place in Olympia where a quick, inexpensive vegan lunch can be had, and New Moon offers that.

Pros: Friendly service, Vegan options, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Menu not labeled for vegans, No vegan pancakes

Favorite breakfast spot in town - Edit

I have been going here for over 4 years, and i cannot find a better breakfast in this city. I crave this food, and their coffee is from a local roaster, Batdorf and Bronson.

The staff makes an effort to learn the names of their regulars, and they make you feel really welcome.

Pros: Now open Sundays!, Friendly staff, Now accepts credit cards

Usually a terrific choice - Edit

Right on the main stripe in downtown Oly..which means great people watching if you sit outside. The cafe is worker owned. They serve good coffee and great breakfasts. Lunch menu is a little uninspired but still has lots of veggie options. Hash browns are great. The staff is nice.

Pros: terrific prices, good food, lovely staff

Cons: space slightly too small, not enough veggie items, closed on Sundays

Return to Olympia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has New Moon Cooperative Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2703 times since Aug 2007.