First Review by

yummie! - Edit

I ordered two vegan cakes and 4 large cookies for my daughters graduation. We were to have a few guests with food allergies. New Leaf tried to accommodate their allergies, but they could not guarantee the cake would come out eatable. I thought I had only cancelled the carrot cake since that was the one we were discussing. However, when we went to pick up the chocolate cake, they had cancelled that one too. I had only the 4 large sugar cookies that I specialty ordered. Fortunately, they had in stock ready made cake. Just took 10 minutes to write something on it. We grabbed a bit to eat for our 4 hour trip back home. Both sandwiches were delicous. The store itself is nice. They carry the basics. The delis is nice feature. Staff was friendly and helpful. At the dinner party for my daughters graduation, the vegans were thrilled with such a yummie cake and the nonvegans were surprised at how delicous a vegan cake can be. As well that ends well.

Pros: good food, delicous dessert, freindly staff, price

Cons: miscommunication

My Go-To Store - Edit

I shop here weekly. I love that it is a local co-op. Their bulk food section has good prices. Some other items are pricey, but they offer good sales. I love their tofu dressing, which is on the food bar, but also available for purchase. Their vegan chik'n salad is another of my favorites. The Sunday breakfast bar is great. Last weekend they had the best vegan banana walnut pancakes with real maple syrup. Other vegan items included oatmeal, potatoes, and tofu scramble. The lunch and dinner options are usually pretty good. I understand that the deli has a separate grill which is used only for vegan items. I have also tried their smoothies and juices and have always been happy.

Pros: Local produce, Knowledgeable staff, Great atmosphere

Cons: Some items are priced high

Fantastic Hot Bar/Grocery store - Edit

New Leaf Market is a wonderful little co-op with many vegan and vegetarian specialty items. They sell local fresh produce and have a nice variety of bulk bin items such as wheat berries, dried beans and nutritional yeast. The hot bar always has a vegan selection, many vegetables and a veggie soup. Of course the salad bar is always available too. On Sunday they have a wonderful brunch that also has vegan options. The employees are always friendly and helpful.

Pros: local produce, friendly staff

Cons: bad location

Contributions +19

new leaf - Edit

This is the place for organic produce and bulk bin items. Try the bulk curry cashews, you'll like 'em! The lunch bar is way overpriced and the little tubs of food are NOT as good as my own homemade veg. foods. But if in a pinch it's o.k. I like New Leaf because it's locally owned and a co-op.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 15, 2010

Pros: veg. items available, clean, friendly staff

Cons: parking, overpriced

I do like it - Edit

Even though the prices are to high, sometimes you can find some good deals. I wish they didnt sell that much meat but besides that the food bar and the sandwiches are delicious. I do some of my grocery shopping here (stuff I cant find at a regular grocery store)

Pros: Good food, good deals

Cons: High prices

Feeling a little cheated - Edit

I'd like to like this place, but I just can't. They sold "lifetime" memberships that have now been discontinued and won't give a credit on their new membership fee. Feels like a place that wants to have a Whole Foods ambience without the quality or rigor. They do have helpful staff, but some of them exude a superior attitude if you ask a basic question.

Just like home - Edit

New Leaf is a typical 'Whole Foods' style store, although a bit smaller than similar markets. Smoothies, sandwiches, salad and hot food bar. Too much meat on the 'menu' for my preferences, but I was able to at least find vegan options. I ate there 3-4 times on a recent trip to Tally. A good option for a quick veg meal.

Pros: convenient, very friendly staff

Cons: meat on the menu, limited choices

Pretty good baked goods - Edit

We were in town on vacation, trying to find a market to get some vegan goods, and we found New Leaf. We liked the vegan baked good options, and chose a cookie and a chocolate chip muffin. Both were okay, nothing spectacular, and at $2 a piece, I'm a little unimpressed. I do like how well they were marked "vegan." The hot bar looked good, but we had already eaten dinner.

It was also a little expensive in a few other places, too, including the bulk bin (but I'm comparing this to the bulk bins at natural food stores in Indiana, where we're from). Also, we bought sprouted seed bagels, which should have been refrigerated and weren't, and they were molded. That's a lot of money to throw out.

Pros: Wide selection of baked goods, Vegan options appeared well marked, a lush oasis in a land of meat eating

Cons: Molded bagels, Bake goods so so, expensive

GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Edit

This is the best deli i've ever been to. I had the best vegan grilled cheese i've ever had. They have a seperate sandwich press for vegans, vegetarians, non vegetarians. The grilled cheese was ooey gooey, cheesey, and crispy. SO DELICIOUS! I also had the portabella mushroom sandwich that was really yummy! GO HERE! If you don't, you'll miss this amazing place and amazing sandwiches!

Pros: Awesome food!!!, friendly staff, good smoothies!

Cons: Kind of slow

Vegans, beware! - Edit

While some of their vegan food may taste good, the hot bar is a nightmare. Many customers carelessly use egg covered utensils to spoon out their vegan labeled sides and the employees have no way to regulate this. Few if any of their deli workers are vegan and often times, I've eaten something not vegan because of their misunderstanding of what "vegan" means. The insane pricing doesn't make it any better....

Pros: Some organic

Cons: Few vegan options, Uneducated workers, Vegan food served next to not vegan food

Great - Edit

When I moved to Tallahassee from Ft. Lauderdale I was sad that I left the Whole Foods store in the dust of my travels. New Leaf Market has done a great job at making their store anew with their deli and its fantastic sandwiches as well as the hot bar. I really enjoy their vegan carrot cake as well and their sunday brunch. It is a good place for vegans. It is a little expensive but so is everywhere nowadays (especially for vegans!) I like it and is a good and sometimes even better substitute than the whole foods store.

Pros: vegan options, cake, sandwiches

Cons: no potatoe dishes, lack of tofu

GO TO THE DELI - Edit

excellent sunday brunch - many selections almost all vegan. They also offer sammies and smoothies.

great little health food store too! has everything you could ever want or need.

offers membership with discounts and other benefits.

fresh coffee beans delivered on tuesday

Pros: cheap

Cons: limited seating

a tallahassee gem - Edit

Two words: SUNDAY BRUNCH!!! New Leaf is a well-stocked health food store. However, sometimes I feel like they are catering more and more to the yuppie organic meat-eater market. Blech. Also, non-vegan desserts are stupid. If you're going to make a dessert, make it vegan. You can get plenty of non-vegan desserts at Publix.

Pros: sunday brunch, vegan desserts, well-stocked grocery

Cons: meat, expensive, getting less veggie-friendly

New Leaf Market is #1 for vegans in Tallahassee - Edit

New Leaf Market is the #1 place to shop for organic produce in Tallahassee. Anything they don't have, they can special order for you. I am a raw vegan and I take my produce seriously. If there was a better place to shop, I would know about it. Communicate with other vegetarians, vegans and raw foodist right here in Tallahassee. Go to TalVeg.com (Tallahassee's Vegetarian Community)

Pros: freshest produce, organic, variety

Return to Tallahassee Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has New Leaf Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2879 times since Aug 2007.