New India Sweets and Spices

Contact 323-936-6736

1245 S Fairfax Ave (at Pico Blvd), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90019

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian grocery and deli. The deli is in the back of the store. There is an a la carte menu and a steamtable with ready made hot South Indian food: currys, samosas, chaat. Corn oil used in most dishes. Also some sweets and savory snacks sold by weight. Has a small table inside for seating. Street parking. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Chia

Cheap but needs improvement - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my New India Sweets and Spices review.

I was in the Fairfax area and decided to stop in and grab something to go. Parked on the street just in front of the store.

The store is small with narrow isles. You walk straight to the back to find the food and the menu on the wall. I asked the woman who worked there (probably an owner, and she seemed impatient and hard face) what the vegan items were, and she told me that they use corn oil instead of ghee in many of the dishes. The steamtable selections were few. I was surprised to find this place also offers MEAT (chicken). Very unlike all the "India Sweets and Spices" place all over.

After perusing the menu and glancing over the ready made dishes, sweets, and snacks, I ordered a couple samosas plus a small serving of spiced cashew nut mix and a small serving of savory peas and nuts mix.

The samosa didn't taste so good, perhaps below average. The cashew nut mix was way too salty, and the peas and nuts mix was salty and unpleasant to eat. I took a few bite and threw everything away, I'm sorry to say. Oh well.

Cons: uninspired food, has meat, salty

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has New India Sweets and Spices closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 700 times since Jun 2008.