CLOSED: New Day Rising

Contact n/a

221D Blyth St (at Nicholson St), Brunswick East, Victoria, 3057

Tiny vegetarian cafe offering a variety of food items, including some vegan choices. Jan 2013 reported open by happycow member. FEB 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Sun breakfast and lunch.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Canadian

First Review by syl

Not that bad! - Edit

Yeah the location is very tiny and you have to getting used to it.... but the food is really good though.
We had the CLT-Bagel and the muesli. Both were delicious.

The waiting times can be a little long sometimes. You have to ask for vegan options because they're not labeled on the menu.

Pros: CLT Bagel

Cons: limited seating (busy most of the time), not 100% vegan

Not sure it's worth the wait... - Edit

We came here yesterday after reading about this place on Happy Cow and discovered it was actually a place we'd happened upon about a year ago. (I had kind of suspected that by the address.) The cafe is set up in a small space that has some features of character: exposed brick (although I guess that is so everywhere now), an interesting door. The preparation takes place right out on the floor (no divided off spaces) and gives the place a busy feel. A few minutes after seating ourselves we were asked if we wanted coffees and ordered accordingly. A few minutes later our meal orders were taken. After my experience here I would reiterate what a previous reviewer has said: be prepared to wait some time for your food. The staff work with limited elbow room and, from what I could see, there is one person preparing food, one preparing (5 Senses) coffee and another waiting. Even taking this into account, I'm not really sure I found the waiting time of around half an hour acceptable. This will depend on your expectations, attitude and patience. I ordered the (vegan and previously recommended) CLT, which was fairly unremarkable, for around $10. The faux-bacony preparation made of smoked shaved coconut contained in this bagel was quite nice though, if a little sweet. My partner ordered a Border Crossing with a fried egg, jalapenos, mozzarella and mayo and reported this was nice. By the end of it our two bagels, three coffees and a Crumbs bakery vegan doughnut added up to $32. I'd say this place might see takeaway coffees as its principal business and this makes sense. They seem to do this part well. However, I forgot about this place for a year and can't see myself back here any sooner than that.

Pros: 5 Senses Coffee, Cute space with interesting features

Cons: Long wait for food, Small space with limited seating

Cute, Cozy, Delicious - Edit

This cute little cafe is located right bear CERES Environmental Park and is the perfect spot for a great vegan breakfast. The CLT (vegan BLT with coconut skin bacon) is incredible- I pretty much inhaled it, and the 'bacon' is life changing. Yum yum yum!

The cafe is cozy and served by few staff, so come relaxed and you won't be stressed out by the slight wait.

Most of the menu can be made vegan, but unfortunately it's not marked with a 'V' or 'VO' (vegan option) so you have to ask staff which one you can have.

A great addition to the Melbourne veg landscape!

Pros: Coconut 'bacon' , Well priced, Location

Cons: Not vegan, Vegan items not marked, No vegan yoghurt

small but good - Edit

The CLT is amazing (vegan bagel with marinated coconut, lettuce and tomato)! The cafe is very small inside with the kitchen along 2 of the 4 walls and a few small tables filling the rest of the tiny space. I liked the cozy feeling but my husband felt like it was a bit claustrophobic. They use Bonsoy for soy milk in their coffees which is my favourite.

Pros: great food, good value, good coffee

Cons: very small space

Decent food, a little too hip for mine - Edit

This teeny cafe in the new hip strip centred around the RRR studios offers a small menu of vegetarian and vegan only food, all cooked on a bench reminiscent of the 'kitchen' @ Hell's Kitchen in the CBD.

Staffed by 1 or 2 on the weekend it can get rather cramped and service can leave a bit to be desired. Personally our food took around ~30 minutes on a Saturday morning which was more than we hoped for.

The food on offer is the type of fare that can be completed in the space, lots of bagels and avocado on toast variations a long with some baked spanish eggs which looked interesting but I haven't tried.

I would recommend giving it a go, get in early and try it out, see if it fits!

Pros: Vego only

Cons: Too hip, Service can be slow

Return to Brunswick East Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: New Day Rising closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1446 times since Jun 2011.