First Review by v-girl

Very good but some oddities - Edit

Very good South Indian vegetarian food. If that's your thing, this place has what you're looking for. I know whereof I speak. Also, the layout is a pleasant step above the typical hole-in-the-wall.

I did have two minor disappointments.

1. The waiter was engaged in needless upsell. He really wanted us to get an alcoholic drink. When I pointed out we were driving (which we were; we'd stopped in off the highway), he just smiled and said, "One drink is no problem!" That's a really dumb thing to say.

That aside, our waiter was friendly and enthusiastic and a really good sport. (Unlike the one waitress, who seemed utterly bored with her job. Someone came to pick up a takeout order, and tried to ask her a question, but she just pointedly stared away into space until he left. She brought me a plate, slid it under my nose with the most atonal exhortation to enjoy -- as if suggesting I had better.)

2. The kids' menu seems to have virtually no nutrition. We ordered the "cone dosa", which is a dosa entertainingly shaped like a party hat, but it came with no vegetable, not even chutney -- just *tomato ketchup*. Given that our kid loves real Indian food, this was pretty disappointing. Maybe this is just what plays well in Stamford (to be fair, an awful lot of kid menus substitute entertainment for nutrition). They could just have done much better, at least giving the parents a choice about what ended up on the plate.

So, a bit of an odd place. I wouldn't go here for a fine dining experience. But I would think of it as an upmarket hole-in-the-wall where I go for the food. It's very good, and for those who crave "authenticity", it has it in just about all respects.

Pros: authentic, very good selection, reasonably priced

Cons: slightly odd staff, kids' menu could use more nutrition

Truly wonderful! - Edit

This place far exceeded my expectations. We stopped on a road trip only because it was on the way... and now we are sorry we don't live in Stamford! The food is totally authentic... evidenced by the fact they had a full house and other than us there was only one other non-Indian table. They have south Indian specialties in addition to the usual northern fare, which was a real treat. We had 6 different dishes and all were delicious and even the curries we were very familiar with came out a cut above those made by our favorite veg. Indian place in Manhattan. I especially recommend the Alleppy curry and the malai kofta. We did not try the dosi but they were very popular and also looked and smelled great. The place is a little small and you have to walk through the bus area to get to the restrooms, but that was completely overshadowed by the wonderful food. We plan to make this place a regular stopping point on all road trips north, and would recommend it to anyone who likes Indian food.

Flavorful, delicious vegetarian Indian food! - Edit

My husband and I especially liked the coconut rice, the Pesarattu, which is the house special dosa with green mung dal, and the Kilan Milagu (mushrooms & vegetables in "devil spice") which sounds hot, but it wasn't; just delicious! The Navaratna Nilgiri Korma (vegetables in mint flavored curry with coriander) was mild and nice. I would go back in a heartbeat! The food and sauces were all wonderfully favorable without being too spicy. The chef came out personally to ask if we liked the food, and he was pleased that we raved about it! The service was good, and the prices were really reasonable.

Pros: flavorful food, large variety of vegetarian dishes, friendly chef

Cons: simple ambiance

Best Indian Restaurant in CT - Edit

GREAT food, mind-boggling ALL VEGETARIAN menu. Wide range of items, many not common in Indian restaurants at all. Prices are not unreasonable, service is good. If you're anywhere NEAR the Stamford area, you have GOT to try this place!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 02, 2010

Pros: Great food, reasonably priced, friendly staff

Cons: Parking can be tricky

Finally, Great Indian in Stamford - Edit

I visited Navratana in mid May 2010 for the first time and loved it. The other Indian restaurant I visited in Stamford (Dakshin, lunch buffet) a few years ago made me feel I couldn't get good Indian in Stamford. So I was really pleased with Navratana, not to mention it was all veg! I ordered the veg thali. I work in Stamford and can't wait to go back. Prices are reasonable, and it is not a bad place to have a business lunch.

Pros: nice decor, reasonable prices, great lassi

Cons: no parking, no buffet

excellent indian food - Edit

I love this place, the food is very good. My favorites are the paneer tikka masala and vegetable korma. and the bread is so good. They are a few infian restaurant in Stamford that are vegetarian friendly but this one is the best.

Pros: good prices, tasty

Cons: parking

Return to Stamford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Navaratna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4185 times since Jan 2010.