First Review by sevans89

Favorite Health Food Store! - Edit

I'm so glad they came to Wichita. They have very decent prices, a good selection, and great customer service. I was shocked to find some of the brands that I liked were cheaper there compared to Dillons Grocery store. Jyoti brand canned Indian food is a dollar a can cheaper here. The prices on nuts is very affordable. I get a large bag of walnuts for $7.99. That is cheaper than Target where I was buying before. The tofu (organic non-gmo) is reasonably priced. The produce selection is good but I haven't made the leap to all organic yet because the budget considerations. I still always look through it to snag up a good deal.

They have monthly specials and the dates they run are on the sale tag. I like this because I know when to hit and stock up before the next month's sale starts. Like their hours the sales don't end on the 30th or 31st - I'm sure there is a story behind that but I bothered to find out. Their TV dinner selection is great and I rotate the brand I eat by the sales.

Eating vegan is a new step for me so I can comment on the meat and dairy selection. The meat is brought in unfrozen and then when it gets close to the expiration date they rotate it to the freezer at the other end of the store and mark it down. The moldy meat comment from the other reviewer was probably an isolated incident. They seem to be very on top of the clearance process so don't judge them on that. Food for Thought (now closed) was consistently selling rotten and moldy food as clearance items. It was disgusting.

For the dairy selection the prices are really good. I was buying the cheapest yogurt they had- which was shockingly cheap- it was the cheapest you could buy yogurt anywhere in Wichita. They did a review of the farming practices and stopped carrying it because it didn't meet their standards for humane handling. I was surprised (because of the price) but was happy they checked on their suppliers. Respect. That was Brown Cow and now they carry Nancy (something) comparable price.

Unlike Green Acres, the employees are generally pleasant and friendly. They answer questions, smile like they mean it, and don't stalk or pressure you through the store. I enjoy shopping here and wandering the store.

Pros: Price!, Checks on ethical practices, Employees aren't zombies

Natural Grocers - Edit

Pros -
I have visited Natural Grocers multiple times. They have an aisle dedicated to dried and dehydrated fruit that I visit every time! (I highly recommend the pineapple rings - do it!) A coworker and I tried a juice cleanse, and we found everything we needed at surprisingly affordable prices. The cashiers appear polite, knowledgeable, and willing to assist with questions. Of all the health food stores on the east side, this one's always my first stop: I find items here I have not found elsewhere, and it seems to lack the self-congratulatory, upper middle-class suburban moms that frequent the other stores. The final perk is that they have an over-crowded bulletin board by the entrance filled with good stuff that they will allow you post on!

Cons:
My boss told me she purchased horribly moldy meat from them. I interpreted this as a good sign (as I figure it substantiates my perception about the lack of the fore-mentioned suburban moms)! I'm there for the kale!

Pros: fresh vegetables, helpful staff, wide selection

Cons: meat

Love this store! - Edit

I loved this store when we lived in Lakewood, CO and was thrilled to find that one had been built in Wichita. They have everything I need at great prices - it's worth driving to the east side of town to shop here. I hope they build one on the west side, but until then I'll keep coming here!

Pros: Excellent selection, great prices, friendly, knowledgable staff

Return to Wichita Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 500 times since Jun 2012.