Native Foods - Palm Springs

Contact 760-416-0070

1775 E Palm Canyon Dr (at Smoke Tree Village), Palm Springs, California, USA, 92264

The first location of the Native Foods brand; renovated and re-opened in Nov 2012. Offering an original menu of salads, veggie burgers, rice and bowls, desserts, and more; in-house made tempeh and seitan. Casual setting, counter service. Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by nessers

(vegan) junk food - Edit

I probably ordered the wrong dish, but the avocado bacon chicken club was overdressed. Soy chicken was very artificial. I could not eat it, it was like the supermarket mock meat. Food was junk food, even if vegan. I would not come back. My husband had a cheeseburger, and it has too much BBQ sauce. He could not taste any ingredient but the sauce. If you crave junk food, this is your place, otherwise you better go somewhere else.

Home away from home - Edit

Whenever I visit the desert, this is my go to spot. Sometimes I eat here twice a day! I love everything! There isn't a bad item on the menu. If I had to pick a favorite it'd be a toss-up between the Ensalada Azteca and the Native Chicken Run Ranch. The potato salad and lavender lemonade are also pretty amazing!

Pros: all vegan, good prices, large servings

Great for the munchies - Edit

Loved the wrap with the smooth sauce. I don't really like mockmeat (because it tastes like meat ;-)), but this 'chicken' tasted pretty good.
Carrot cupcake is mouthwatering good.

Pros: Homemade lemonade, Not tens of dishes to choose from, but enough choi, The creamysmooth sauce

Different than it used to be, but still a go-to - Edit

Disappointed from our Palm Springs visit a few years ago. Now it's more of a vegan fast food joint. Not as much selection, and so-so food. The location makes for a questionable dining experience (think strip mall!).
But still grateful it's there! Best is to get the food to go...

Love it! - Edit

We first tried Native Foods in VA, but that branch closed before we could make a return visit, so I was ecstatic to find that the original store is still open in Palm Springs. We have been here three days and visited twice, and I would go every day if I could. I got the build-your-own-burger the first night, with the bean, lentil and brown rice patty, and it was delicious! Then yesterday I got the Baja Tacos, which were also scrumptious. My non-vegan husband also loved his Native Chicken, Bacon & Avo Club, and the Japanese Sesame Crusted Native Chicken Bites. Because I do better on a gluten-free diet, Native Foods is a great choice, with many GF options. I highly recommend this restaurant to any vegan or vegetarian in Palm Springs, as well as to anyone who needs convincing that veg/vegan food can be amazing!

Pros: Excellent food , Friendly staff, Affordable

Great Place - Edit

Loved the menu selection, had a hard time choosing out of so many delicious options. Ended up building my own burger, with the bean and rice burger patty. It was definitely different and unlike anything I've ever had, but good. Fries are delicious. Very fast and friendly service.

Pros: Lavender Lemonade is delicious!, Fast service. , Outside patio available to eat in.

Love this restaurant. - Edit

We stop here every visit to Palm Springs. Every dish that I've tried I have loved. The chicken wings are awesome. Great staff that is always friendly and helpful. Must try.

Pros: Always Vegan

Good Selection, Tasty Food - Edit

An extensive vegan menu with a range dishes, although a little too heavy on mock meat dishes in my opinion. I wonder if this is a strategy to attract non-veg*ns...

Of the dishes my wife & I ordered, the Ensalada Azteca, supposedly their 'best salad', was indeed delicious. The portabello burger tasted great but isn't the healthiest option. And the sweet potato fries were decent, although I have had better.

The prices here are very reasonable for the portion sizes, and the service is very friendly. Overall, with limited options in Palm Springs, I would certainly recommend Native Foods.

Pros: Extensive vegan menu, Excellent value for money, Excellent salad options

Cons: Too much mock meat

Best Food & Service - Edit

Very nice location in beautiful California, since I walked through the door for the very first time I received a very welcoming service until I walked out the door. The food was delicious and in a good amount. And you could eat abundantly with your conscience clean.

Pros: Location, Quality, Service

Cons: Not enough locations

My oasis in Palm Springs - Edit

My first two days in Palm Springs yielded very few vegan options, until I found this place. The food was excellent and even my carnivorous dad liked his meal. I have eaten at the one in Portland Oregon as well great place. Please come to Seattle!!

Pros: staff is great Scotty was our point man, very lika

Delicious! - Edit

It's Native Foods, of course it's good. This was my first time here but everybody raves about this place. I had the Twisted Twister Wrap, fries, and I tried a bit of the Watermelon Fresca and the Lavender Lemonade (I think I like the Lavender Lemonade a little bit better.) Everything was really good. I absolutely loved the blue cheese dressing on the wrap, and the buffalo sauce was good too, and the chicken bites were probably the closest to actual chicken I've ever tried, with a good texture, and really fresh. We went near Thanksgiving so they gave us a sample of the Native Wellington, which was also delicious. I especially liked the gravy. I thought it was odd though that the inside eating area of the restaurant was so small, especially since people have said that they closed it down to renovate and expand (maybe that was just for the kitchen area?) They do also have outdoor seating though.

Pros: Great food, including comfort food, Yummy homemade drinks

Cons: The inside eating space is a bit small

Good choice in Palm Springs - Edit

Palm Springs has few veggie or vegan options, and this is a good place. We came here twice on our recent 3-night trip to P.S.

It's very casual. You order at the counter, and they bring you the food later. Not a real sit-down restaurant. Prices are reasonable, about $10 for a sandwich, wrap, or bowl. Good quality. Sides are small and not really worth the money, though.

Friendly service. It's not in downtown Palm Springs. However, on Thurs-Sun, the free Buzz shuttle bus takes you from downtown to the Smoke Tree Shopping Center, where this place is located.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 02, 2015

Pros: good food & prices, good service

Cons: away from downtown Palm Springs

My new favorite - Edit

We recently vacationed near Palm Springs with our dog, and were delighted to discover that there was a vegan restaurant which had a shady, dog-friendly patio area! Being from the Bay Area, we'd never before had the wonderful opportunity to eat at this great vegan place. We made up for it by having two lunches there, and getting take-out for both our dinners, on the 2 full days we were in the area! Oh wow, the Key Lime Pie! And the Lavender Lemonade! Everything we had was delicious, and extremely generous portions. All the staff were cheerful and friendly. The biggest thrill of all, though, was finding out that they are planning to open a new branch in Berkeley, CA, in 2015! Hooray! We live just a few miles from Berkeley. They haven't even opened, but have already futuristically become my new favorite local restaurant. Where is the Tardis when I need it?

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Dog-friendly patio

Cons: Not in Berkeley CA - yet

delicious as always - Edit

We stopped to eat at this location twice during our weekend visit. We've been to many other locations and this one is smaller than the others, but has now been remodeled to match the other locations in décor. There is both indoor and outdoor seating with water misters. Over both visits, we ordered the new ancho BBQ bisket and French Market muffaletta sandwiches as well as the weekend special of cauliflower power sub and the classic Oklahoma bacon cheeseburger. For dessert, the strawberry shortcake parfait and oatmeal cream pie were both tasty. The food is always consistently good at every location and the staff are helpful and friendly. As Native Foods is the only all vegan place in the valley, make sure to stop by. Easy parking too.

Pros: delicious food, friendly service, easy parking

First time at this location - Edit

We've eaten at other NC's but never this one and as usual...not disappointed. The location and layout are perhaps not as nice as newer spots but that has no effect on the excellent food.

Awesome! - Edit

The food is wonderful. Though I do have a favorite and have a hard time ordering anything else. The chicken sandwich is my go to. Yummy!! They have outdoor seating with heat that I love and I always bring my dog. The same staff always seems to be working when I go in so it's always nice to see familiar faces and get great service. This isn't a fancy $$$ place, more of a sit down fast food/diner type. Also, it's kinda hard to find. It is in a strip mall, hidden down a hallway.

Pros: Great food, Outdoor seating, Wi-fi

Cons: Location

Good variety of vegan options - try the root beer - Edit

The food options were of great variety, including sandwiches, salad, moroccan bowls, desert, etc. Very reasonable cost. The outside dining area is really nice. It was about 50 degrees in January and they had heaters going to make it nice and comfortable.

It is in a bit of an odd place. It's not visible from the street. It's in a strip mall, but you actually have to go through a walk way and to the right, behind the strip mall to find the seating area. Once we found it, though, the food was really good. The deserts were particularly yummy.

My main thing would be that the menu is almost completely full of meat substitutes. It would be nice to have just straight up vegan food - veggies all the way!

Pros: inexpensive, variety

Cons: hidden behind a strip mall, all meat substitutes

I am in LOVE - Edit

I wish this place was closer. Everything my table tried was cooked to perfection. The food was so delicious and innovative and flavorful. I can see why the place was packed. There was no place to sit at the restaurant, but there were plenty of tables outside. Drinks are a choice of lavendar-infused lemonade, watermelon fresca or iced tea. Each one as tasty as the next and not too sweet. The best part is the its all you can drink and is self-serve.

Pros: Great selection, Delicious food, Helpful Staff

Cons: Long line to order

closed until? - Edit

Native Foods in Palm Springs is remodeling and is closed until at least Oct. 2012 (they keep changing their estimated date to reopen, so it's hard to tell).

Pros: great food

Cons: closed

The Best Vegan Food! - Edit

Native Foods is hands down the best vegan restaurant! I love the food so much that I even bought their cook book! I highly recommend this restaurant and the cook book!

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff

What more can we say but go there! - Edit

I really don't know what else to say that hasn't been said already about Native Foods. We found the website before we left the UK and knew we wanted to go. We were planning a desert experience and dragged ourselves through 118 degrees heat (very hot for us from the UK!) to find this oasis. It was so good we went back the next day for early lunch just to squeeze in more of this lush food before we escaped the heat and headed back to the coast. Very well worth it. So good, we bought the book right there and then!

Pros: Amazing food, Nice people, Big portions

Cons: er, none., There are not enough other Native Foods, There are none in the UK

wonderful vegan food! - Edit

This place was great! Outdoor patio with shade that makes for a very lovely dining experience and the staff was really friendly and helpful. The menu is diverse with pizzas, salads, bowls, sandwiches, kids menu, beer and wine, and dessert. And everything is vegan! They make their own seitan and tempeh in house every day and the tempeh that I had was really delicious. I ordered the Gandhi bowl which had tempeh, kale, rice, broccoli, carrots, raisins and some kind of dressing. I also got a side of sweet potato fries, both of which were delicious. My friends got the Gyro bowl and the Chicken sandwich and had nothing but good things to say about them. They also got the iced tea which was great although the lavender lemonade sounds pretty delicious too. Overall I wished I was hungrier so that I could try more on the menu!

Highly recommend - Edit

Holy smokes this place is good. We had the portabello sausage sandwich and the gyro and I have to say that the sandwich was phenomenal. I haven't tasted food that good in a very long time! I only wish we live there and could go every week. Maybe they'll come to the Bay Area? The beer selection was good too! You should definitively go.

Pros: quality of the food, selection was great, beer was good

Cons: it's only in palm springs

Excellent, inexpensive dining - Edit

A nice place with something for everyone on the menu. Ask about their daily specials. My favorite dish is the "Soul Bowl", brown rice with fresh vegetables, vegan southern fried chicken and corn bread, served with a ranch sauce. I always end the meal feeling healthy!

The food is excellent, when they are busy the service suffers, but the environment is good, so with good company you may not notice the wait.

Pros: Inspired menu, Inexpensive, Free parking

The FIRST Native Foods... Welcome to mecca! - Edit

Well I've had the cookbook probably since it was first in print! Before I moved to Los Angeles it was always an amazing treat to go to Native Foods. When I finally got around to coming to Palm Springs (most amazing place I've ever been) going to the #1 Native Foods and possibly catching a glimpse of Chef Tanya was HIGH on my list! Needless to say we walked in covered in dirt from an earlier hike expecting a Westwood type location, made an instant reversal when we saw nicely dressed patrons and white table clothes drinking bottles of wine. Luckily our rental was right down the street, we did a quick shower and change (finally got to use our dress clothes we'd been lugging around). The service is fantastic, the wine is marvelous. The limited selection is perfect and all can be by the glass. We requested our oil free dietary restrictions and modified a ghandi bowl and it was simply amazing. I can't tell you how nice Palm Springs is and how delightful it was to end the day with a glass of wine, amazingly fresh inventive food, white table clothes and low prices among refined company! Tanya you are doing it right! Thank you!

Pros: BOOZE, White Table Cloths , High Quality

Fantastic diverse menu - Edit

This place has a lovely low-key atmosphere in a hard to find location (despite being part of a big shopping complex). The menu is pretty diverse, from healthy choices like steamed kale to comfort food like "cheesesteak" sandwiches. The preparation is wonderful, and they have a good selection of vegan beers and wines to choose from. Definitely my favorite place to eat in Palm Springs.

The one downside is that everything looks good; I found it really hard to stay within a budget while eating there b/c I wanted to try several things.

Pros: great food, both health food and comfort food, nice ambiance

Cons: moderate prices

Very Good - Edit

Native Foods is a great little cafe! They have a fair amount of indoor and patio seating. The service was extremely good and food was excellent.

We started with the Awesome Threesome appetizer. I had the French Dip sandwich with fries and my wife had the Scorpion burger. All were very tasty. Ingredients seemed to be fresh.

We shared a slice of the carrot cake for dessert. The cake itself was one of the best I've had. The icing was a bit runnier than is normal for carrot cake, but it had a good flavor.

If you're in Palm Springs, definitely give Native Foods a try.

Pros: Tasty food, great service, nice selection

Great place! - Edit

We went here a few times during our stay in P. Springs. It always has a 'special' for the day. We had their chicken fried steak with kale and mashed potatoes. Oh my! It was so yummy! It was also way to much food-I couldn't finish it all. We also had the philly steak sandwich and the BLT. YUM! The prices were kinda high. We went here for lunch the first night we were here and for two sandwiches and two drinks it was almost 30 dollars. It's nice to know that there are vegan options in Palm Springs.

Pros: Another vegan option!, Great staff, Great food

Cons: pricey

Great food - Edit

You can't go wrong by going to Native Foods. They offer a great menu to choose from and the food is great!

Return to Palm Springs Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Native Foods - Palm Springs closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7833 times since Aug 2007.