CLOSED: Native Foods

Contact 760-836-9396

73-890 El Paseo, Palm Desert, California, USA, 92260

Palm Desert vegan restaurant offering a creative and original menu featuring salads, veggie burgers, rice and noodle bowls, desserts, and more. In-house tempeh and seitan. Casual setting. Counter service. Reported closed to HappyCow, currently looking for a new location, please confirm and inform HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by SueInNY

Food was just average; service a little slow - Edit

I arrived at lunch time, and the place was packed. I was given a menu quickly, but my order wasn't taken for nearly 10 minutes. There are only 2 waitresses to handle the crowd, and they could really use a third person to act as cashier and to bus tables. Customers, tired of waiting for tea refills and soy sauce, got up and went to the counter to get what they needed.

That aside, I was disappointed with the meal. I ordered the Hollywood Bowl which is brown rice, covered with lightly cooked veggies, and two strips of tofu with a peanut sauce. It sounds pretty good on the menu, but the flavors were bland.

Most things on the menu are $9.95, which in my opinion is a lot for a plate of vegetables, and this is not haute cuisine. However, prices are in line with other veggie places in Palm Springs, so it is what it is. Probably once was enough for me. If you go, it's probably best to arrive just before noon, or after 130pm, to get quicker service.

Pros: Nice neighborhood, Easy parking, Food presented nicely

Cons: Not very flavorful, Not a good value

Wow this place is POPULAR! Deservingly so! - Edit

I've never seen such a limited wait staff work so amazing fast and accurately on such a massive lunch rush. I was shocked (impressed) that it was a daily occurrence. Despite the mad house and short staff everything was served to perfection, and decently timely. I highly recommend the watermelon mint juice, it is good and free refills! We hacked up the OC Raw salad to minus out the fat and add in some fun and it kept me full for 24 hours!

Pros: watermelon juice, healthy options, great parking

So Unbelievably Good - Edit

We went here because my sister from New York and my 10 year old nephew, both vegans, wanted to try it. It was phenomenal and we have been there many times since. There is a fun and inexpensive children's menu. The soups are homemade fresh daily, like pea soup and carrot soup. There is even a fantastic black bean soup. The pizza, with soy cheese, is out of this world with many choices of toppings. The beverages, like lavender lemonade were thirst quenching and delicious. And the desserts: oooohhhh. Desserts included a silken chocolate tofu pie that was to die for. Service was friendly, fast, and professional.

Pros: Fast, friendly service, Delicious, fresh food, Healthy cuisine

Pleasant lunch - Edit

Last summer while out for the weekend, we went to Native Foods. We are very familiar with the one in Westwood, but this was a much nicer space. Sit-down and not crowded. The menu was fairly similar, but a few items were not there, including save the chicken wings with ranch, my favorite. Parking was also a snap at this location.

Pros: filling food, ample parking, nice atmosphere

Cons: no save the chicken wings

awesome , go there. - Edit

my non veg husband and i went one night he got a order of vegan chili cheese fries, which i also tried and they were great! we shared the margherita pizza which was also awesome. there pesto was sooo good. i had chai which was honestly the best chai id ever had. we both got dessert i had the chocolate cake which was amazing and my husband had phenomenal cheesecake. we both plan on returning often and i cant wait to try their other stuff. it was pretty cheap too. even if you arent vegan you should go.

Pros: awesome chai, great desserts, amazing food

Cons: being too awesome

Favorite - Edit

I love Native Foods. I was lucky enough to live only a few miles away during my high school years, and every time I come home, it is my first stop after leaving the airport. The menu has a wide variety of "veganized" American favorites, mostly made with tempeh, seitan, and textured vegetable protein products. They have salads, pizzas, desserts, appetizers, sandwiches, burgers... It is the only place I've ever been where I've had so many options. I usually can't get out of there without scarfing down an appetizer, seitan burger, dessert, and at least three glasses of their hibiscus iced-tea. Prices are reasonable, portions are filling, service is always friendly, and they have a great punch-card system to reward the regulars. Best of all, you can take home the Native Foods cookbook and try to replicate their greatest hits in your own kitchen. I look forward to moving back home and spending more time at Native Foods again.

Pros: amazing food, friendly waitstaff, comfortable atmosphere

Inferiour to its Native Foods counterparts - Edit

I love the native foods in Costa Mesa. I was disappointed when I got here. No fried foods? Seriously? I loved how the waitress pointed out she was wearing leather shoes.
A place for rich old yuppies to experience vegan cuisine.
Get a fryer and I'll come back.

Awesome Restaurant - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant and I am lucky enough to live only a few blocks away...Yay! I love the Latino Lovers pizza, it is unbelievable. Great location, great atmosphere, and a ready-to-help staff. Okay, now I have made myself hungry!

Pros: California Vegan, excellent food, helpful staff

Fabulous! - Edit

Wow I wish I lived near this restaurant. I'm going back in August for 2 weeks and will eat here every night. The cheesecake is to die for. Loved the burger I ordered. I had to buy the cookbook. can't wait to try the recipes!

Yum! - Edit

I was on vacation when I happily discovered this place. I had a tough time convincing my meat loving father to go, he thought for sure he'd leave still feeling hungry and incomplete. Well he was pleasantly surprised! He ordered the grilled portobella and seitan sandwich and loved it. I ordered the Malibu veggie burger, and even though I've had my share of veg. burgers, this was was one of the best! I did ask for carmelized onion topping though and they only gave a very little bit of it. Even still, it was so tasty that it didn't matter! My mom ordered the bbq tempeh "cowboy" dish and found it so filling that she couldn't even finish! Good prices, friendly staff, delicious food - I def reccommend this place to vegetarians AND meat lovers looking to change it up.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, interesting options

THE DESERT'S BEST! - Edit

Love Native Foods! Eat here all the time, SOOOO good. Looooooooooove the chicken run ranch burger, portobello burger, tacos, pizzas, & the California french dip is so yummy. Everything, actually, is pretty darn delicious. Always try the specials too...they are always exceptional!

Pros: great food, great service, yummy tea

Non Vegetarian

Contributions +15

Always delicious - Edit

This is pretty much the only restaurant I go to in the valley. (There's a Palm Springs location too, but their servings are sometimes smaller and the toppings aren't always included). It's the perfect spot for any vegans or vegetarians.

The food is tasty, filling, and reasonably priced. They use fresh ingredients, the specials are delicious, and there's a great variety of food to choose from (and they even have organic wines!). My meat-eating friends like it, and it makes them feel healthier =)

I haven't been there much since I've gone raw (I can only have a salad because they don't have other raw options), but the servers are still very acommodating & usually give me fresh fruit/veggies substitutes.

For specific menu items, I'd recommend any of the pizzas because they're very tasty & filling (I usually had leftovers). For desserts, I've only tried the chocolate cake, but I didn't like it. That was a year ago, so maybe it's changed since then, but I'm a very picky chocolate eater and it wasn't very pleasing. However, I've heard the key lime pie is to-die-for, so I'm sure there are other desserts that will satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth.

Pros: yummy food, nice atmosphere, many menu options

Cons: limited raw food options

Excellent food in the desert - Edit

The food here is incredible. It's great to have a place like this around when I travel. Everything on the menu sounds so good, it hard to pick one. I had the Soy Amigo salad. It was extremely fresh and extremely tasty. For dessert, try the Key Lime Parfait. It is absolutely an incredible way to end a great meal.

Pros: excellent food, nice staff, healthy choices

Cons: not more locations

Return to Palm Desert Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Native Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 486 times since Aug 2007.