Native Foods - Costa Mesa

714-751-2151

2937 Bristol St (at The Camp in Orange County), Costa Mesa, California, USA, 92626

Small chain of vegan restaurants originating from Southern California. Offers a menu of sandwiches, veggie burgers, bowls, salads, and others. Order at the counter and food is brought to your table. Casual setting in a unique, yurt-like space with inside and patio seating. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering, Fusion

First Review by juliotnunes

Just love it - Edit

whenever i come to the USA, especially to Chicago, Whashington and now also LA, I visit one of the stores.
I just love the food there, and the lemonades.

excellent food and amazing service all over the country! - Edit

I have visited several of these locations in Chicago and the LA area, all with the same beautiful healthy consistency - definitely a must do for vegans everywhere :)

Quick, Healthy, Affordable - Edit

It's hard to go wrong at Native Foods. I've memorized their menu; I've been there so many times over the years. Portions are filling and prices are reasonable. This is a great fast-casual spot, and they actually have healthy options that taste amazing. My favorites (with sauces on the side): BBQ Chicken Salad, Chili, Soul Bowl, and the Twister Wrap. Desserts are terrific as well. The oatmeal cookie pie! So good! Seasonal cupcakes and the peanut butter parfait are also crave-worthy.

If you live nearby, take advantage of the loyalty program. I've received several free meals from this. Also, Wednesdays are buy one entree, get one free!

Pros: Quick, Dependable, Healthy

Cons: Tough Parking

AMAZING vegan Mexican food - Edit

First of all, this location is great. It's in a place called The Camp. The whole place is super green and sustainable and super cute, I just loved the vibe. I've heard parking can be tough, but we went around 11:30 and there were a bunch of spots.

I ordered the Baja Tacos with a side of regular fries and my mom ordered the native chicken, bacon, and avo club with sweet potato fries. We also got an order of guac, chips, and salsa to start. The guac, chips, and salsa were very good. We both liked our fries. But the meals were the best part. My mom is an omnivore that eats regular chicken and bacon on a daily basis so the fact that she loved this meal is saying a lot.

Let me get to the tacos. I was hesitant to get these because the few times that I've tried tempeh I was not a fan. However, I am SO GLAD I gave these a shot. The flavoring and texture was absolutely amazing. The sauce was phenomenal. Overall they were just amazing. I already want to go back.

They also have boxed water which is my favorite and eco friendly so that's a plus.

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Cons: NONE

my fav vegan restaurant - Edit

I've only been vegan for a year and I don't get out too much I've tried maybe 10 different vegan restaurants and this one is my favorite one!

There was one entree I wasn't too fond of and that was their fish tacos, everything else I've tried has been really good.

Pros: good prices, you can place your order online , they actually have a children's menu!

Cons: parking can be difficult

Yummy Food - Edit

Yummy food, good prices, the only problem will be parking but everything else is good.

Vegan fast-casual chain: it's hard to complain - Edit

The food is very flavorful at Native Foods, which is helped by the world-class sauces. Ranch, chipotle, etc are often hard to come by for vegans, but these are the real deal.

Get yourself a reuben here and thank me later.

Between the two major vegan fast-casual chain restaurants, this one is the winner.

Great Casual Place to Eat - Edit

This place is AWESOME! The menu is HUGE with alot of varieties of food! My favorite is the Oklahoma "Bacon" Cheeseburger! You guys have to try it! Omnivores will love this place as well!

Also good service, and friendly staff!

Pros: Delicious mock meat dishes

Great vegan good! - Edit

If you can find parking, this is a great chain restaurant. The hot chai is a must!! Sometimes, the food is better than other times, not always consistently great but mostly always enjoyable.

Pros: all vegan, hot chai, lavender lemonade

Cons: finding parking

Nice Native Foods Outlet - Edit

I think the yurt set up is pretty cool ( I find the supposed 'alternative culture' of The Lab and Camp is a little underwhelming). Great all vegan food options that most meat heads would probably be okay with. Menu seems a slightly shorter than other NF places I've bee too but not an issue- guess they have less food prep space here and the options are more than enough (I often get 'analysis paralysis' in places with more than one vegan option...)

Pros: It's in a YURT!, Serves beer

Not my favorite Native Foods - Edit

Unfortunately this place was a bit of a disappointment, I've been to several Native Foods and this one is my least favorite. The atmosphere is great and it's set in a really cool area but the food left a lot to be desired. Not very flavorful and not very fresh.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: Unimpressive food

It's just okay... - Edit

I love that this place is vegan and I hate to say anything negative about any plant-based restaurant,but I'm never really overwhelmed with the quality or flavor of the food. It's good, but not great. I don't go out of my way to go here. They have a good variety of foods but nothing that is memorable enough to make me want to return.

Pros: all vegan, good variety of foods, friendly staff

Cons: nothing really memorable about the menu

Not what it used to be - Edit

This place has just gone down hill since Chef Tanya stepped down. The food is all processed and heavy, lots of faux meats used. Service isn't the greatest either. Native foods has lost touch with its roots, so sad...

I would like foods that use no refined oil. - Edit

Please make foods that have no refined oil used in their preparation. Please use whole grains and no sugar.

Nice place, nice location - Edit

Had a good lunch of portobello mushroom burger, salad and sweet potato fries. Friendly place, good food.

Great Place - Edit

They have various types of food from gyro to thai elements to "meatball" sandwiches. They also have great desserts. I take my non-vegan friends here, and they really enjoy it. I highly recommend this place!

Pros: Excellent food/Big portions, Nice Vibe/Great outside seating, Friendly Staff

Tasty Food, Good Service ... but the parking! - Edit

The food at Native Foods tastes great! I've eaten there on and off for several years, and the flavors are wonderful. Except for the salads and bowls, I'm not too sure that they are healthy - but then, they aren't claiming that they are - just good, and vegan.

They've made some changes over the years - one positive one is that gluten-free items are now listed directly on their menu (you used to have to ask for a separate menu). You order at the counter, and they bring your food to you - which I don't like because I don't really like standing in line, and if I want something else, I don't want to have to go back in line, plus I never know how much to tip. Regardless, that is the routine here.

The parking used to be great, but then something happened about a year ago and now the lot is almost always full. Street parking isn't an option, so two of the last three times I've tried to eat at this shopping center, I've decided to go someplace else because of the parking.

Back to the food - most of the food here is focused on fake meats, which are in the sandwiches, salads, and bowls. They are great, but that seems to be the focus. I used to get the sandwiches a lot, but then it hit me that eating bread with tempeh isn't really very healthy - so now I get the salads or bowls - and they are great.

I just wish they could do something about that parking!

Pros: Good tasting food, Large variety

Cons: Parking, Counter service, Parking

best mock meat dishes - Edit

I don't eat the fake meat and dairy alternatives. They just are not any good and I love fruits and veggies. Ran into this place and tried the Soul Bowl. Wow, the fake chicken was excellent. My wife got the portobello and sausage burger. It too was amazing. So much flavor. I certainly wish I lives near one of these stores.

Pros: flavor, price, service

Cons: not at my house

Return to Costa Mesa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Native Foods - Costa Mesa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.