CLOSED: Nataraj - Osaka

Contact 06-63436477

Osaka-shi, Kita-ku, Umeda 2-4-9 (at 5th floor Breeze Breeze building), Osaka, Japan,

Indian food and natural food restaurant near Osaka/Umeda stations, near Herbis and Hilton Plaza, at 大阪市北区梅田2-4-9. Menu includes lacto-veg and vegan curries, salad, dessert, a macrobiotic lunch set that's vegan (all-you-can-eat curry lunch buffet), and dinner. Naan bread is not vegan. Some English on menu. Confirmed closed, May 2015.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet

First Review by lemurcat

Fantastic - Edit

I loved this place. The Dahl was awesome, one of the best I have ever had. They have a few specialty dishes including some mock meats are easily worth the price.
This is not your typical Indian take away. This is a nice restaurant with a great atmosphere. You get what you pay for. The staff are lovely and do speak English.

Pros: Delicious, excellent service, lovely atmosphere

Skip dinner here - Edit

On the 5th floor of Breeze Breeze building in Umeda.

This Indian restaurant is in a prime location 5 minutes from Umeda Station in a lavish mall.

Unfortunately, I went for dinner and had the worst experience thus far in my search for vegetarian eateries in Kansai. The food was below average, but at least the portions were small so I didn't have to feel guilty about leaving food on my plate. I somehow allowed the waitstaff to confuse me into getting the much more expensive dinner set, when all I really wanted was the gluten curry. My daughter was really hungry when we arrived, but hardly touched anything (a rarity). I might try the lunch buffet one day if I am in the area, but never again will I visit this place in the evening. (>_

Pros: location, well-lit

Cons: price, food, wait-staff

A great restaurant - Edit

It is near Osaka Station.Inside Bling Bling Building 5 floor.Restaurant decor is beautiful.The meal is very delicious.Service is good.I went to this restaurant twice in Osaka.It is worth to go.

One of the best Indians in Osaka - Edit

I have been to this buffet restaurant many times, and I'll still keep going! The restaurant is located among other restaurants so it has quite a nice atmosphere and warm feeling. There are usually 3-4 curries laid out, all which vary a great deal in flavour and ingredients, so there is plenty of selection! The restaurant also tops up the naans on a regular basis so its impossible to leave here hungry. A great price, and great Indian food!

Pros: Inexpensive, Fantastic flavours, Nice atmosphere

Good vegan Indian food - Edit

The Osaka branch is probably the most upmarket of the Nataraj chain, at least compared to the ones I've been to in Tokyo. It's interior is very fancy, but prices are still reasonable. There are plenty of good vegan options. This station is an easy walk from the JR Osaka station, making it a good option while passing through the city. Like the others in the chain, the food is not very spicy (or oily) and is clearly adapted to a Japanese Palate, though even as someone who loves the fire and spice of 'real' Indian food, I still enjoy a fresh and healthy Nataraj meal.

Pros: vegetarian Indian restaurant (rare in JP, fresh, healthy food without too much oil, short walk from Osaka Station

Cons: a little expensive, but good value

very good food! - Edit

pure vegetarian Indian is rare in Japan (in my experience). we went in for a late lunch, had salads, soup, various curries, naan, and dessert. the restaurant makes its own paneer (farmer'a cheese), which was excellent.

Pros: pure vegetarian, great taste, great selection

nataraj- delicious! - Edit

This is the second time we have visited Nataraj. The first, a year ago, was one of the highlights of our time. Amazing food, fresh and delicious (once we found it! It's in the Breeze Breeze building - level 5)
A little on the expensive side ( we did order a few dishes and it cost us around $70 aust.) we still thought it was worth it.
Today we were in for a lovely suprise - Nataraj have a buffet lunch special at 980 yen per person! AMAZING! The pumpkin curry was the best I have ever had, and my partner went back for more! 980 Yen for all you can eat is an absolute bargain - we don't know if this is a 'special' or if it is a regular occurance now, but do check it out. The quality is still so high for such a low price.
Definately worth the trip.
Accessed south from Osaka station (Kitashinchi station is very near but we didn't use it this time)and the map on this site is quite correct.

Pros: delicious, cheaper options, fresh, nutricious food

Cons: may prove difficult to find, can be pricey depending on your order

Excellent service and food - Edit

Great place, food was very well prepared and the service was excellent. We had one set menu between 2, so it wasn't really substantial enough, but we'd already spent over what we'd normally spend on a meal for two so we left it at that. Good selection of organic wine on the menu too.

Pros: great food, english speaking, good service

Cons: expensive, small serves

Good curry - Edit

Actually, I noticed the macrobiotic set dessert seems to contain honey so technically there is no set that is completely vegan, and no truly vegan dessert option. It seems that 3 out of 4 curries and both salad dressings in the curry buffet are vegan though. The bread probably has butter or ghee on it unless you request it otherwise (they always ask when I order the macrobiotic set). I am not a huge fan of curry, but I find Nataraj's to be very delicious. Also spicy, but not overwhelmingly so.

Pros: delicious, vegan options, staff speaks English

Cons: set menu structure, could be cheaper

3 Responses

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Nataraj - Osaka closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3646 times since Oct 2008.