Nataraj - Chuo-ku

• Vegetarian
Contact 03-55371515

Ginza Kosaka bldg 7-9F, 6-9-4 Ginza, Chuo-ku (at Subway Ginza station A2 exit Step 1 minute), Tokyo, Japan,

Vegetarian Indian food. Address in Japanese: 東京都中央区銀座6-9-4. Offers a special vegan dinner every Monday (for Meat free Mondays) in all of its branches and also offers a savings of 10% discount if you make a reservation for the dinner. Last orders 10:30pm

Category: Lacto, Indian

First Review by Veganfriend

Favorite Veg Restaurant During Two Week Trip - Edit

Spent two weeks in Japan with my wife; ate at 8 or 10 vegetarian restaurants during our trip, and this was our favorite! We ended up eating here twice - our first and last nights. Fantastic vegetarian Indian; great service; extremely careful about allergies and describing which dishes are vegan; really great breads! Reasonably priced - not super expensive; not super inexpensive.

Super Indian food - Edit

I would recommend everyone who loves indian food to come here. I loved it. It´s marked in the menu what contains milk. They even have vegan nan, nice! I had a selection with two currys(lentils/ beans and one with tofu), salad, starter(seitan) and vegan nan. They were so good!
But my gf choosed a curry with tofu, can´t remember the name but the tofu was spongy. Maybe it´s suposed to be like that but I didn´t like it and I usually love tofu in every form.

Pros: Good food, Nice staff

Cons: Spongy tofu

Love this place! - Edit

Traditional Indian cuisine in an authentic atmosphere with background Bollywood music. I've been here quite a few times when I miss home cooked food. The food is tasty and satisfying. There are many different set menu's available but I usually go for the vegan one. The vegan naan is great! It's really easy to find - you take an elevator outside the jewelery shop next to Uniqlo to the 7th floor.

Incredible Indian! - Edit

A favorite of ours with plenty of delicious vegan options, including the nan! The Nataraj Special, Baigan Bhurta, and Saag Palak are among our favorites. Other Tokya locations: Shibuya, Ogikubo, and Minami Aoyama.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, English menu

good value for money - Edit

There are a few Indian restaurants in the area, but somehow this is the only one I've ever tried, and I've been to it a few times over several visits to Tokyo (over several years). It's all veg, and there's a lunch buffet, can't beat that! There are a few different curries, two different nans, at least two drink options, plus rice, and dessert. The staff in the dining area are polite too.

Tasty Indian Food - Edit

A really nice veggie Indian restaurant in the middle of the busy Ginza shopping area, convenient after a tiring day of shopping! I've eaten here several times, and the food has been really tasty, and the staff friendly. You'll find the usual Indian dishes - Aloo Gobi, Spinach Paneer etc - but they also do interesting things with tofu and beans, plus a couple of vegan options. I can recommend the thalis if you are very hungry, and the mango lassi is delicious! Very easy to find. Take the metro (Ginza line, Hibya line or Marunouchi line) to Ginza station and take exit A2. As you come onto street level, just keep walking straight ahead. It's about a 5 minute walk, if that, and is in the building just before the huge Uniqlo store. There is a big sign, in English, hanging off the side of the building, and usually a sandwich board outside. You need to take the elevator to the 7th floor, the elevator is tucked in next to a glass fronted jewellery store. I believe they have other locations around the city, but I've only been to this one.

Pros: Tasty food, Good price, Large portions

Mostly good, but too much oil - Edit

We generally agree with all the positive reviews on Nataraj so won't go into the details too much here. The taste profiles are nice, the menu is sizable and vegan-friendly, the service is relatively friendly (a bit on the cold side, but polite) and the ambiance is pleasant enough despite the absence of any windows.

Our main build-on relates to the energy of the food. We've eaten here (and in other branches) countless times and one thing's certain, we never fail to feel tired the next day. Our guess is that it's the large quantity of oil they use.. even though it is apparently high quality healthy oil, in the end it is still oil. Indian food usually energizes us immensely, but unfortunately not this Indian food. We thus avoid it when we have anything important on the next day. Just FYI :)

Their cookbook is worth picking up by the way. We sometimes make some of their recipes at home, only we cut the oil content by close to 10x and use our own oil.

Pros: Vast menu, Organic, with vegan options, Great taste profiles

Cons: Not energizing food - too much oil?, Not cheap either

Best lunch value in Tokyo - Edit

I recently stopped by here for lunch while in Ginza, and was astonished at how good the food was. And incredibly reasonable, especially close to the heart of Ginza!

When I went, three of the lunch curries were vegan, the fourth was vegetarian (just some milk in it). All were totally delicious. The rest of the buffet is basic but also great (especially the vegan naan, my favorite).

The atmosphere is also very nice, as were the staff.

To me, it seems that complaints about lack of view, etc. are a bit silly and reaching. Most restaurants in Ginza will be similar in this respect, and be more expensive by far. And those with the great views will put holes in your wallet you'll feel for years. I thought the restaurant's atmosphere is really nice.

It's hard to find vegan food that is this good in Tokyo. Let alone this reasonably (for lunch). Loved this place.

Pros: Lunch buffet price very reasonable, Good location, Ginza, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Dinner can be pricy (normal for Ginza)

Lil india in Ginza - Edit

Love the ambience.
Vegan menu avalaible n printed in english.
Staff speak good english and friendly.
If you are bored with japanese veg cuisine, this is the best place for a change of taste.

Pros: Indian decor

Cons: a bit costly (due to location at Ginza)

Vegan Indian in Tokyo - Edit

This location had several vegan sets on the menu - which was in English. All dishes with dairy were marked clearly. My waiter spoke English also, a plus! The food was delicious & plentiful. The vegan tapioca dessert was a delight!

The decor was bright and clean. The fountain provided a pleasant auditory background to the meal.

fantastic lunch spot, very vegan-friendly - Edit

I've been going to Nataraj for their lunch buffet for years and it keeps getting better. I visited today and they have added a vegan dessert option to their very reasonable 1100yen lunch buffet. They also offer vegan naan with the buffet and at least 3 of the 4 daily curries are vegan. Easy to find and a great location, I highly recommend it for lunch.

Pros: cheapest vegan-friendly buffet in Tokyo, quality food, large variety

Cons: dinner is kind of expensive

Delicious! - Edit

I've been looking for a fully vegetarian, Indian restaurant in Tokyo for a while and glad to find this place. The food was great and the staff are very friendly.

The only downside for me is that dinner is a little expensive. Although, I'll definitely come back.

Pros: Delicious!, Staff are very nice.

Cons: A little expensive...but that's Ginza.

Almost perfect - Edit

A fully vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Ginza, Tokyo? Surely not! But it is true. The Ginza branch is housed in a narrow building a short walk from the station. There are two or three floors availably for dining. Decor is Indian.

The first time I went, I went alone and enjoyed a number of dishes. Food was perfect and service excellent. That said, it was a tad expensive.

The next time I went was with family and friends. We enjoyed the buffet lunch (all you can eat) which came out very affordable. With four curries, rice, naan and dessert, not bad at all. My eldest son loved the saffron rice and ate a bucket of the milk dessert!

That said, it is odd that there are no South Indian dishes on the menu. I mean with all the diverse curries (tamarind, buttermilk) dosai (fermented rice/bean crepe), ottopam and mind boggling array of chutneys, pickles and soups of South Indian cuisine, who could go wrong?

Oh well, great place nonetheless.

Pros: Diverse menu, good service, lunch time buffet

Cons: Ordering seperate dishes expensive, What? No south Indian food?

So good we went twice! - Edit

First off I must confess to being a passionate Indian food lover. And here the Indian food was great. It was very tastey but here's the best part, not too greasey or heavy. Sometimes Indian curries in the UK can be so heavy - perhaps too much ghee for my stomach. But no such problems here. Simply deilcious food. The menu was in English and the staff spoke English too. Mmm, I could just eat another now for my lunch! Shame I am now thousands of miles away...
My only slight disappointment is that despite being on the 7th floor there are no windows so great views of Ginza, whilst you are eating, are absent. It's on the wrong side of the building for Ginza views.

Pros: Light (for a curry!), English spoken, Location

Cons: No windows

Good food but very expensive - Edit

We had a very nice post-theater dinner at Nataraj--they have excellent vegan dishes (loved the ones with gluten/seitan), and the portions were good-sized. The atmosphere was very pleasant. My only complaint is the cost--dinner was 8,100 yen for three people.

Pros: Good variety, Excellent flavor, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons: Expensive

Awesome Indian food - Edit

We really loved this place - the food was top quality and the service was great. The setting was really lovely too.

It was a little expensive though. I think we paid 6000yen between us, which is considerably more than I'm used to paying at an Indian restaurant, though it was smack bang in the middle of Ginza and a pretty classy place, so I guess it's to be expected.

I will defintely visit this place next time I'm in Tokyo.

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nataraj - Chuo-ku closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5159 times since Aug 2007.