Napfenyes Restaurant and Pizzeria - Napfenyes Etterem es Pizzeria

Contact 203135555

Rózsa utca 39, Budapest, Hungary, 1077

In Mar 2015 at this location, Napfenyes Etterem's main dining moved to a new space at Ferenciek tere 2. This space became a bistro where you'll find a daily menu, variety of pizza, a few soups and main dishes. Kitchen closes at 10:30pm. Reported all vegan and no longer offering honey packets (Jan 2016). Near metro Keleti Palyaudvar on M2(red) or Vorosmarty utca/Kodaly Korond on M1(yellow). Kitchen closes at 10pm. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Organic, Mediterranean, Salad bar, Juice bar, Hungarian

First Review by Clalex

wonderful ambience and perfect pizzas - Edit

really nice restaurant with a beautiful ambience. all vegan. we had a hungarian gulasch and a pumkin soup. both were amazing. our pizzas also tasted faboulus. we had some desert. it was very good but not my favourite type of desert. really wortn to go while visiting budapest.

Woderful decadent experience - Edit

This place came highly recommended and it’s easy to see why. The place is underground with a brick vaulted ceiling and seating in booths. It actually feels rather fancy with the table linens and staff in their whites. We went to the smaller branch with the shorter menu but the list off choices was still vast. Specifically I had a hankering for pizza so that is what we both went for. I choose the Popeye pizza with extra arugula and Nathanael had the three cheese. And yes it was all vegan! Mine was without a tomato base and it had garlic, cheese, nutmeg and the fresh greens on top. It was delicious but very rich and I think I would have preferred one with a tart tomato sauce. Nates was really good, he got faux sausage on top which was well spiced and very meaty. Not something I had tried before. For someone feeling the loss of meat in their life it would make a good substitute. They were huge portions and I only managed half of mind so for sure you could share one with perhaps a salad from the self-serve bar, which looked great. We were so full that we had our desserts to go. I could not leave without one as their selection was incredible. Very decedent creamcake style creations with layers of different fillings and pastries. I had a raspberry concoction, which was a poppyseed cake topped with a creamy whipped raspberry layer. Nate went for a biscuit thing with jam in the middle covered in white chocolate with beautiful piped decoration. This place was a real gem with options for everyone including Hungarian goulash, seitan roast and pasta dishes. I would be interested to visit the larger premises which was advertised as having live music at the weekends and is perhaps better located for those staying more centrally........ please visit my blog for more vegan reviews......www.whitedragonorganics.com

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-15

Pros: cosy, beautiful interior , amazing choice, great food

Cons: a little far out, cake display wasnt photogenic, lots of plastic

Amazing menu - Edit

This cafe has a fantastic menu! Wide range of choices, healthy delicious food, with options for raw and gluten free. It is a little pricey but worth a visit! Excellent service also.

Pros: Great menu, Central location, Friendly staff

Cons: Boring interior , Expensive

Delicious food , great presentation and service - Edit

We had a delicious meal at Napfenyes . The diverse menu catered for everyone's tastes - from vegan pizzas , French fries , to hearty Hungarian bean vegetable soup , Seitan Stew , fruit and vegetable shakes and delicious deserts . The service was excellent . This was one of the best restaurants we have eaten at !

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-27

Pros: Value for money , Diverse menu, Beautiful presentation

excellent food and wide choice - Edit

The pizzas are great - Hungarian is the best.The raw food platter was crisp and appetising. The seitan kievs were flavoursome and 'meaty'The vanilla slice was the nicest vegan pastry I ever had (English vanilla slice was always my favourite as a non vegan)They even got me the recipe when I asked!Snickers cake also very nice.Large cosy dining areas with outdoor tables too Huge choice of dishes - menu is a book of ten pages! See video review on Vegan on Wheels channel. https://youtu.be/yDA9ENX-270

Pros: huge choice. delicious food.

Hungarian food vegan style - Edit

Delicious platter for two... fried fried and more fried but awesome! Goulash soup was delicious... staff and surroundings lovely, the one down side was the lack of alcoholic beverage, beer would have accompanied our food to perfection.

Best restaurant I've ever been - Edit

You should come and taste their food whenever you visit Budapest. I was there with my gf during a city trip and I visited the venue 4 times in a week so that we could taste as much dishes as possible. Great taste and a lot to chose!

Pros: Taste, Diversity, Friendly people

Cons: Time before they come to your table.

exquisite! - Edit

Best restaurant I've ever been to. Their vegan pizzas are the best I have ever had - the rest of their mains are equally tasty and amazing. Their desserts are also beautiful - everything seems to have some twist. If in Budapest you are missing out if you do not visit this restaurant! Atmosphere is locket and calm and the staff and very nice and polite!

Leider unter meiner Erwartung! - Edit

Die Location ist gut, keine Frage. Die Bedienung war auch nett. Aber, ich habe eine Pizza bestellt. Das war wohl ein Fehler. Der Boden war steinhart, es war wenig Tomatensauce und wenig Zwiebel drauf. Gebratener (trockener) Räuchertofu und falscher Käse dafür um so mehr. Leider hat mir das überhaupt nicht geschmeckt. Die Frage ob es nun an mir oder am Essen lag, ließ sich anhand der anderen Pizzen, die zurück gegangen sind, eindeutig klären. Ich bin enttäuscht...

Lovely place - Edit

Restaurant is in the cellar and really cute and cozy. Service was nice and their English was quite ok. Took some foods from daily menu and the dumpling soup was really tasty, also sushi and all in all options on the daily menu were interesting and really variable. We also took a pizza, which was a mild disappointment though, since it was a bit dry, or not "juicy" enough. Anyway, a really good place and gotta check their other location too!

Pros: Good daily menu, Nice service, Cozy place

good food but slow service - Edit

I enjoyed the food and ambience at napfenyes (this was my second visit - I also went last year while in Budapest) but the service is pretty bad. It took ages for the waiter to even realise we were there (we were seated by a different person) and then we were promptly forgotten about for the rest of the meal. It's a shame because the food was good. The salad bar was a good light lung option

Pros: good food, large selection

Cons: slow and rude service

great food, great staff - Edit

Was pleasantly surprised by this place! So far my favorite vegan spot in Budapest. The pizza was amazing, and the dish I had with French fries, seitan and ratatouille was also delicious. The staff was very nice and also helpful! They drew is a map to the vegan festival :) will definitely be visiting here again before we leave.

Very good pizza - Edit

If you want good vegan pizza: go here. I had the coal worker pizza (a very 'meaty' pizza), and it tasted very good, If you like fake meat, this is the pizza. Also the desert was tasty.

No alcohol.

Pros: Very good vegan pizza's

Cons: No alcohol

Excellent food and nice ambience - Edit

It was nice having so many vegetarian options and we ended up ordering a platter for two to be able to try out a bunch of different things. We were stuffed by the end and the food was all great. The place was also cute and nicely decorated.

However, service was slow and it took forever before we were able to order and the drinks pricing made no sense to us. The menu lists prices by milliliters for all the drinks rather than by glass which was not clear until we got the bill. Not sure what the point of that is for something like a glass of lemonade...

My happy place :) - Edit

The pizzas, the main dishes the desserts, the scone, the salad bar.. All very nice and delicious. And for the atmosphere I actually like it even better than the main location of Napfényes.I wish I could eat there every other day.

Pros: Good food, Nice place, Totally affordable

Hell yes! - Edit

This restaurant was a huge surprise. I've never had such an amazing vegan risotto in my entire life. And the dessert, simply fantastic. Will certainly come back next time I'm in Budapest.

Pros: Risotto

Cons: No black tea

Pizza and much more! - Edit

We came here based on pizza recommendations and it's true, this place does great pizza! Their menu is more varied though and the interior is less formal than the newer, more popular Napfenyes but I liked it better. The service was less polite but felt more genuine. Desserts were amazing too!

Pros: Great pizza, Friendly staff , Desserts

Exciting pizza! - Edit

There is a pretty extensive pizza menu here, and the pizzas were delicious! I had the coal miner's pizza, which seemed to be based on the 'meat feast': it had smoky tofu, sausage and seitan. It was good and savoury, and the vegan cheese was unobtrusive. My partner had the piquant pizza, which I found unbearably spicy, so choose wisely! We were both really pleased with the service and the quality of the food. They also have some non-pizza items on the menu, and a decent selection of cakes, not that we could fit any in.

Pros: Extensive pizza menu

Very yes. - Edit

We visited this place literally on our way to the train station and it feels like a big mistake. Just because we didn't get there earlier..

We got soup from daily offer, that was standard, so expectations were mixed. But then we got really amazing risotto and pizzas (Margherita and Hawaii). We finished our visit with great dessert.

You could also buy few things like tofu, spreads or dairy free cheese. They are not serving alcohol, but not even black tea or coffee. Prices are moderate.

Recommending the visit for sure!

Pros: Tasty, Location

Cons: Not black tea!

Some of the best vegan food I have ever eaten! - Edit

I was so impressed with the extensive menu! I was so spoiled for choice. Everything we ate was amazing and the service was perfect. We returned again for more of the cheese scones and sacher cake which I could not stop thinking about! Would definitely recommend.

Amazing pizza - Edit

Here was where I tasted the best vegan pizza I ever had since I went vegan, almost 3 years ago. I ordered the Hawaiian kind.
The desert was not so good, but who cares. I went for the pizza, I will go back for the pizza.

Pros: Amazing pizza, Good price

OK - Edit

The daily menu is affordable and tasty (I missed the spices a bit). Though the place is located in a cellar, it surprisingly has a nice atmosphere. No alcoholic drinks are sold here. Make sure to arrive in time because we received a not so warm welcome 45 minutes before closing...

Pros: Nice food, Affordable

Cons: Limited number of available dishes, No wine or beer

Average food, but good desserts - Edit

My friend and I went here on the second day of our trip, we were really excited as it seemed like a great place with good atmosphere. We ordered a traditional Hungarian dish with some cabbage and rice along with a grillplatter of seitan and vegetables. The Hungarian dish didn't taste of anything really and had the consistency of overcooked oatmeal. The grillplatter was nice, though the vegetables were extramely oily and the seitan had a weird consistency. Afterwards we bought som cakes which were very delicious and distinct in taste.
After the main course I was a bit disappointed that I had not tried one of the pizzas instead. But they did have a good salad bar.

Pros: Quick serving, Good desserts with variety, Great atmosphere/vibe

Cons: Greasy main dishes

Juicy food - Edit

We came there in the evening and luckily there were plenty of seats. We sat down, but since dogs were allowed inside, we moved further into the restaurant. We ordered two pizzas which we were recommended. They were delicious, except there was too much salt, which led to ordering lots of water and apple juice.. We also got small glasses, so it got a bit expensive at the end. When we left we bought a dessert, which was some kind of juicy fruit ball. Delicious!

Pros: Exotic pizzas, Cozy surroundings, Friendly staff

Cons: Too salty pizza, Small glasses, The chefs wore no gloves

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Napfenyes Restaurant and Pizzeria - Napfenyes Etterem es Pizzeria closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.