Napfenyes Restaurant and Pastry Shop

• Friend
203110313

Ferenciek tere 2 (at corner of Veres Pálné and Curia), Budapest, Hungary, 1053

Napfenyes Restaurant and Pastry Shop is the largest of the two Napfenyes locations in Budapest, serving vegan meals with a salad bar and a pastry shop. The menu has changing daily specials. Large variety of international dishes, Hungarian specialties and pizzas. Uses organic ingredients and purified water; no preservatives, additives or coloring agents added. Near metro Ferenciek tere on M3 (blue). Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Italian, Organic, Mediterranean, Salad bar, Juice bar, Bakery, Hungarian

First Review by gmfielden

Probably best vegan spot in Budapest - Edit

A proper restaurant with table service and lots of options. Serving sizes are huge. We had the platter for two for lunch and could only get through like 2/3 of it. Would recommend it to get a sense of traditional Hungarian dishes. Lots of fried food and potato however. We can back for dinner and I got the Noodles and my wife the grilled veggies and we also tried the samosas. Staff are friendly and speak English. We were pretty full both times so didn't get to try dessert.

Pros: lots of options, big servings, good service

Cons: can be a bit unhealthy

Napfenyes Restaurant And Pastry Shop - Edit

This is the largest of the two Napfenyes locations in Budapest and it serves vegan meals, has a salad bar and has a pastry shop. The extensive menu has new daily specials each day. There is a large variety of international dishes along with Hungarian specialties and Pizzas.

Napfenyes uses vegetable ingredients (without any meat, eggs or dairy products) and cooks as healthy as possible. The majority of ingredients are organic and they avoid using any preservatives, additives or coloring agents. All dishes are made with purified water.

Vegan Hungarian Cuisine - Edit

I came here twice during my time in Budapest, I loved that they offered traditional Hungarian dishes with a vegan twist. One of my favorite part about traveling is experiencing the (vegan) foods of different cultures. The desserts are amazing as well so don't miss out!

Pros: Price, Atmosphere, Delicious

Really worth visiting - Edit

The menu was very diverse and offered typical Hungarian dishes that are usually not vegan.
The restaurant offered dishes that I had never even heard of (ex: crusted vegan cheese with jam, which I used to love the non-vegan version when I was younger).
Since I went there hungry, I ordered a lot of different things, and all of it was flavourful and delicious.
For desserts, they have a lot of different cakes to choose from it was impossible to pick. I had gone with a raspberry choc cake slice and loved it.
After walking around town for a couple hours after lunch, I went back for another slice of cake....

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-29

Pros: Amazing menu, Amazing pastries and cakes, Nice location

Cons: Very large menu - hard to choose what to eat, Staff wasn't very approachable

ok restaurant but NO ORGANIC food! - Edit

the restaurant is ok but they use NONorganic cheese and nonorganic soy and tofu so on which often contains gmo or traces of gmo.
so i dont recommend anyone to eat pizza or other foods with soy there or the vegan cheese with corn starch.
Their salad is very good anyway.
disappointed still today they have not changed to bio food.

Updated from previous review on 2014-12-19

Pros: salad

Cons: gmo soy stuff

3 Responses

Rones 06 Apr 2017 - The soy is not organic doesn't mean it has GMO in it!

vegankitten 15 Apr 2017 - Dear Bimbambom,
Where did you get this information from that they are using "NONorganic cheese, nonorganic soy and vegan cheese with corn starch"?
Is this speculation or do you have evidence that this is the case?
Please share this with the community.

BimbambomBommen 15 Apr 2017 - nonorganic soy mostly has gmo or traces of gmo in it just like corn from countries in asia or usa,argentina,brazil so on.
most restuaurants buy the normal one and many doesnt even themself know its gmo since they of course dont write it on the package.
Restaurants by the way throughout europe(and also bakeries) has no duty in law to tell that smht is gmo therefore restaurant wholesalers often have much crap they sell to restaurants for example gmo corn starch to bakeries or gmo chocolate in box from usa that they put on brownies for example.

in this case for example the cheese they use contain both corn starch(not bio)mostly from china or some other gmo country. and citric acid which often contain black mold and or gmo corn from china most citric acid to world products is coming today.
The same with rice that is widely mixed its often impossible to separate rice and or they also cheat with rice in countries like india,china and other gmo countries.Even from romania the americans sended gmo corn by MISTAKE to hungary which they were growing and to sweden rapeseed GMO by mistake that they were growing.so even in developed countries it happens so the best chance is to stay 100% organic. to save us and our nature from poisons and destroyment in future.

One of the best Restaurants in Europe! - Edit

I came here by myself for my Birthday and had a superdelicious Pizza. When i told the girl at the pastry-bar, it`s my birthday they gave me the Snickersbar (you need to try it!) for free. And without me noticing it at first they even suprised me with a candle on the cake and three of the waiters sang Happy Birthday to me in the middle of the restaurant.
Even without this amazing overload of kindness i highly recommand that place, since it is super delicious (mainfood and also pastries) and unbelievable heartwarming people are working here, that are all vegan by themselves. It is a pleasure!

Pros: Amazingly delicious, Cheap, Super friendly

lovely pastries and cakes - awkward atmosphere! - Edit

The cakes and pastries were delicious and super affordable. However you are not able to go in and just sit down for a drink and a slice of cake, we had to get it to take away.

Staff made it feel very uncomfortable and wasn't helpful in the slightest, atmosphere felt weird as it seems like a place just for regulars just to visit. Disappointing as food looked great and really wanted to try out all the menu at some point - just felt very unwelcome!

Pros: great food, great prices

Cons: staff made it awkward

vegan loveliness - Edit

Everything vegan! I had seiten with chips and ragu, was absolutely lovely. Menu was quite large, lots to choose from. There were loads of different cakes to choose from as well for dessert, maybe next time!

Pros: Loads of options, friendly staff

Vegan yet traditional - Edit

The menu is entirely vegan... Even the amazing pastries, brownies, cakes and other sweet delights. The place is huge and it feels very traditional, definitely not like a hipster vegan place. But this "old school" style makes it very interesting. Some dishes are quite elaborated and some are a vegan take on traditional Hungarian food.

Amazing place you cab get everything you dream off! - Edit

Just go and enjoy the amazing good, awesome vibe :)

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

The kinda place you are proud to bring your parents to - Edit

The perfect mix of a classy restaurant and vegan food !
Furthermore the waiters are so kind =)

Pros: Awesome food, Awesome rosewater lemonade, Friendly staff

Cons: It will make you miss Budapest

The Best Vegan Restaurant in the World? - Edit

Okay, that's a big statement. Sorry. But I kinda think it might be the best vegan restaurant in the entire world. Why? Because it has 250+ reviews here and a high star rating and everywhere else I've been I could always find something to fault. Here? No alcohol and decaf coffee is the only thing people are complaining about and that's definitely nitpicking.

The food itself is delicious and there's so much choice. There's about 20 different desserts, rotated daily. There's a whole bunch of pizzas, soups, pastas, traditional Hungarian dishes, sharing platters, and so much more.

The place is on the upscale side, with table cloths, booths, waiters treating you like you're special, always trying to find you the best seat in the place, but the prices are extremely cheap. In any other country, this combination of upscale-food with inexpensive prices wouldn't work, but in Budapest anything goes.

As for the atmosphere, it's very nice. As it is fancy, there's usually classical music playing quietly in the background and every time I've been (which was every day of my holiday) there was just enough people to make it atmospheric but they weren't taking up the best tables.

I swear if I ever find a nicer vegan restaurant that's better value for money, I'll come back and rewrite this review but until then, this is (in my opinion) the best vegan restaurant in the world.

Pros: tasty food, lots of choice, friendly staff, clean, not too busy, very cheap

Cons: decaf coffee

A must in Budapest - Edit

Napfenyes is a classy, elegant, all vegan restaurant based in Budapest, Hungary.

The service is polite, discreet and they make an effort to give you a better table when possible.

The food is just incredible. They have a large selection catering to basically everyone; vegan, raw vegan, gluten free. There are traditional Hungarian dishes that are veganised, pastas, soups and daily specials. I've ordered the Seitan cutlets with garlic and mustard twice as it is so mouth wateringly good. I've also tried 3 other dishes there courtesy of my partner including the kiev.

The only thing I would like is if they sold alcohol but certainly it is still a great evening without.

Pros: Delicious, All vegan, Classy

Cons: No alcohol

Nice food and very friendly staff! - Edit

Really nice and delicious food, and soooo friendly & caring staff! I had only 15 minutes to order some food and the lady on the entrance did everything to make me get it as soon as possible. She just made my day. Strongly recommend this restaurant to all :)

Pros: good location, nice place, great staff

From a native Hungarian: Best restaurant in town, period. - Edit

Being a native Hungarian and a vegan I can only say that Napfenyes is the best vegan restaurant in town when it comes to selection and atmosphere, period. Especially because they serve deliciously made, vegan traditional Hungarian dishes as well. We've tried almost every single vegan restaurant in town but Napfenyes is the winner when it comes to selection and service.
It's the one where you walk in, have a jaw drop and ask "is this really vegan?" and yes, it's all vegan. Honestly, I can't count how many times we've been there, at least 12 times if I want to be more accurate, we ate through everything from the pastries, cakes, pizzas, pastas, soups, mains, till the raw dishes, the quality is top notch in taste and price-size ratio as well. The selection is huge. If you are a raw, gluten free, sugar free, juice fasting, you can still eat/drink there! However, due to the owner's philosophy, be aware of that they don't serve alcohol and regular coffee but I suggest you to try their grain coffee, it's great and help you to defeat your caffeine addiction! :)
Always look into their daily menu, this way you can save money and have a chance to try vegan Bolognese lasagne if you are lucky enough, yumm!

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-19

Pros: huge selection, kind staff, large portions, excellent food, cheap daily menu

good - Edit

really good food ! would definitely recommend , glutenfree choices. however there was no wifi

Pros: delicious food, glutenfree

Cons: no wifi

Delicious vegan Hungarian food. - Edit

I absolutely love Hungarian food and it is usually meat based and loaded with sour cream. I had the bean goulash and the stuffed cabbage and they were to die for! I can back a second time during my visit to Budapest to have the stuffed cabbage again. I will definitely eat here any time I come to Budapest and would tell anyone who is vegan to drop by. The staff is friendly helpful and English speaking. I adore this place!

Pros: Excellent food , Friendly staff , Good value

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Napfenyes Restaurant and Pastry Shop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.