Napfenyes Restaurant and Pastry Shop

• Vegan
Contact 203110313

Ferenciek tere 2 (at corner of Veres Pálné and Curia), Budapest, Hungary, 1053

Napfenyes Etterem es Cukraszda is all vegan, no longer using honey per report Jan 2016. In Mar 2015 Napfenyes Etterem's main dining service moved into this space; and the former location at Rozsa u 39 converted to a bistro. Its extensive menu features a variety of meals along with with Hungarian specialties. Kitchen closes at 10pm. Near metro Ferenciek tere on M3 (blue).

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Italian, Organic, Mediterranean, Salad bar, Juice bar, Bakery, Hungarian

First Review by gmfielden

EAT HERE if it's the last thing you do!!! - Edit

Been to few vegan places which I have enjoyed but none as much as this one! There was a large menu and a chance to try some traditional dishes which was great as I've wanted to try some proper Hungarian food.
It was quite cheap and absolutely amazing I am going to go back everyday as I want to try it all!!! The self service salad bar had loads of
Options along with soya cream dressing and I would of been quite happy with that on its own!

Pros: Great food , Friendly staff , Well priced - big portions

Best vegan restaurant in the world! - Edit

I've travelled extensively and this is the best vegan restaurant I've ever been to! Loads of choice and has some traditional Hungarian options. The lasagne was amazing, you wouldn't know it's vegan, the cheese is perfect in it. Also lots of choice of drinks, desserts and even ice cream!

Outstanding all vegan menu! - Edit

Great food, plenty of flavour and originality!
Great location near the river in the touristy part of Budapest, yet away from the crowds. Probably the largest vegan restaurant I've been to. Amazing daily specials and desserts also.
No booze though. Service was professional and adequate, but not outstanding.

Pros: All vegan menu, large restaurant , great location

chilli tastic - Edit

The main meals were great but the service was a little slow... With the mains taking about 25 mins to arrive. But their food was pretty imaginative and the staff friendly. Apparently they sometimes have good live bands. Overall recommended!

Great!!! - Edit

I went to Budapest with my mother this month. She wasn't that excited about going to a vegan restaurant but her opinion changed after eating at Napfenyes Restaurant. First we both had a small salad from the salad bar. It was very delicious and you could choose from a wide range of different vegetables, not only the "typical ones". Our main courses were even better. It was so good that we decided to come back the next day. This time we also had some delicious cake. If you go there you should definitely try some pastries and the special rosewater lemonade!

Pros: wide range of different dishes and pastries, friendly staff/good service, you can also eat outside

Amazing!! - Edit

I am leaving Budapest tomorrow after a great vacation, and one of the things I'm saddest about is not being able to eat here again! The food here is so good, and it's tucked in a bit from a busy street on a quiet, shady corner that is perfect for relaxing and cooling down. I continued to go here over other vegan establishments in the city because this one offered Hungarian options as opposed to only pizza, burgers, and other more generic vegan food (this place does have pizza, though). The food is delicious, the portions are hearty, and do yourself a favor and get dessert!

Napfenyes Restaurant - Edit

We visited the restaurant during our visit in Budapest, the place is very nice and located in a central location. It was difficult to choose what to order because the large selection.
Finally, we decided to invite the Hungarian dishes And unfortunately we we didn't like them so much. The cakes we ordered were fine.
Maybe it was just a bad choice of dishes..
What we loved most was the ice cream they make there. We came every day and there were new and interesting flavors.

Pros: cheap price, kind service, vegan only

Cons: menu unclear

Delicious - Edit

I went on a holiday to Budapest and I've been here like 5 times :). The place is amazing and offers a great choice of vegan food. They have a large variety of food and my friend and I tried something else every night. The only thing I didn't like was the pizza, there was way too much vegan cheese on it and I just don't like the taste of it. Another con is that the food was greasy and tasted unhealthy, my body didn't feel very well after I'd eaten at the restaurant. But that's not really a problem, we'd asked for some veggies without oil or sauce and they steamed the veggies perfectly which was nice! The vegan ice cream was also delicious and they had many flavors. I would totally recommend this place and it's also very very cheap!!

Pros: good food, nice staff, cheap

Cons: food is greasy and tastes unhealthy

Best vegan restaurant I have ever been to - Edit

I loved it. I would especially recommend the Hungarian food and of course the Napfenyes platter (a restaurant putting its name on a dish usually means it's a good one :-) plus you get to try many different things in one meal.)
My brother had the pizza and that was alright but not as good as a good Italian pizza (then again I'd rather have no (vegan) cheese at all and add some chili oil instead).

Pros: outdoor seating, huge restaurant, nice waiters

Cons: no beer or wine

Rosewater lemonade, do I have to say more? - Edit

The food is amazing. Great veganised versions of Hungarian Food. The staff is very nice and speaks english. One of the best vegan restaurants I've been to. But something that just blew me away was the rosewater lemonade. Something I've been reproducing at home ever since I first tried it. Rarely do I go to a place twice when I'm visiting, I prefer to try as many restaurants as possible, but this was so good that I went there twice during my not so long stay.

Pros: Rosewater lemonade!!, Delicious food, Nice staff

Cons: A bit long waiting time for food to arrive

Vegan Heaven - Edit

Large and beautiful space, the menu was great, full of vegan and vegetarian choices.
The dish is great, very tasty.
The staff was very nice and attentive, one of the best restaurants I've been.
Recommend, I'm looking forward to going back there.
Also, not expensive.

Pros: Big Menu, full of choices, Tasty

Ready to embrace the vegan heaven? - Edit

This place deserves 6 stars in Happycow. If you are still unsure if you should try this restaurant, keep reading. If I already convinced you, skip all the chit-chat that comes below and just go to the place!

The thing is that this is one of the most incredible restaurants that I have discovered in my long or short, depends on who you compare with, vegan existence.

I was really surprised by the wonderful treatment in the kitchen of the seitan and the vegan cheese. I tried the Stuffed Seitan Kiev Cutlets and were amazing. The rest of the dish was composed by steamed broccoli and *perfectly* cooked jasmine rice. I also tried the pizza with smoked tofu and sausages... I'm not a a pizza guy but it was great.

Desserts: just fantastic. They have a full range of cakes and sweets in the entrance of the restaurant and sell for take-away. Some contain sugar alternatives. All the desserts I tried were really good.

Service: top-notch. The place is kind of romantic too, so it's a winner for bringing a special friend. What else can you ask for?

I can confirm that not only is the best vegan place in Budapest by far but also it is clearly among the best ones in Europe.

Pros: All

Cons: Nothing

So good, we went back for more! - Edit

This was our first time in Budapest and were not expecting to find such fine Vegan dining. The front of the restaurant is the patisserie (hazelnut praline cake was light and delicious!), which leads to cafe seating and then cosy main dining hall. Lovely atmosphere, helpful staff and an extensive menu. The food was so delicious yet not greasy but just big, healthy portions. A lot of soya protein used in different ways and delicious hearty soups. We went back twice during our stay as it was so good, highly recommended. Note, make a reservation if you want a table in the main dining area, does get very busy, which is when staff can be less attentive (we went during busy time and quiet period).

Pros: Many choices and good value, Healthy and delicious, Clean

Cons: Does get very busy so book a table

Great place, good food, not great desserts - Edit

Really nice place with some luxury feeling, professional staff, the food was really nice, some vegan version on Hungarian dishes, all and all great experience but the desserts we took wasn't good enough though the chocolate bars are great :)

Pros: Good food, everything is vegan!

Cons: the cakes were disappointing :/

insanely delicious food! - Edit

I've been to Budapest twice in the past years and this has been on my to-visit-list ever since the first time I've eaten here. during my first time in this gorgeous city i've even eaten here twice. back then it wasn't all vegan, but it has never been an issue finding food :)
everything i ever had here was absolutely delicious. the taste-range is huge and i'm oh so in love with everything on the menu (especially the mixed plate). i even dared to try the daily menu once - which included mustard-sauce on spaghetti. and i've never even had mustard before! it was simply GREAT.
service is fantastic and asking questions in english was never an issue. thanks for that!
can't wait to go back!!
probably not the cheapest place in Budapest but great price for the value you receive.

Pros: taste, variety, service

Cons: too far away :(

Well worth a visit! - Edit

Great food with seperate gluten free menu. Staff could be friendlier but the chefs do a great job - well worth a blvisit for good vegan food.

Pros: Gluten free menu, Fully vegan, Vegan pastries and desserts!

Cons: Staff could improve

Great for Vegan, Not so Great for Gluten-Free - Edit

I loved it - had a great salad and out of this world dessert. My husband has Celiac and had very limited choses. The restaurant marks spelt as gluten-free and it is NOT. The service dropped off as our meal progressed but I would go back if only to have a dairy free pastry!

Pros: pastries, vegan choices

Cons: very limited gluten-free choices, spotty service

Fine Dining - Edit

It is always nice to eat at a fancy vegan place. Here they have a wide variety of choices, friendly and professional staff and a nice ambience.
The only downsides were little hidden charges like paying for 2 drinks when we only ordered one, and paying to get the rest taken away.

Pros: Great menu, Good service

Cons: Hidden charges

napfenyes_restaurant Dear Stephen Eamonn,
thank you for your comment.
We are sorry that you let us know only now and not on the spot.
If you come next time you are our guest for a lemonade. We are sorry that you had to pay two instead of one.
About the price of the take away pack (the box itself). We should let know guests in advance. We will do this way in the future.
Thank you very much your your feedback because in this way we can develope our guest experience from good to great.
Best regards,
Napfényes Restaurant

Vegan heaven - Edit

This place is just perfect. Meals are delicious and some of them is so "meaty" that I thought we are in the wrong place for a moment.

We had a full dinner, including two soups, two different meals with variety of tofu, seitan and soy steaks, that were just amazing and huge desserts. It nearly killed us and thad would be pretty cool way to die.

Even if this is one of the most expensive vegan places in Budapest, it's still very cheap, especially when you look at the quality of this food.

Place itself is very big and comfortable, but looks a bit old fashioned.

Pros: Delicious food, Huge variety of meals

Traditional Hungarian Cuisine - Edit

I really hate missing out on traditional local dishes when I travel, so this was the perfect place for me. It has a good section of local dishes, as well as lots of pizzas and less daunting choices! I had the stuffed cabbage leaf, which was delicious. It was a really filling plate of food, with lots of flavour combinations I wouldn't usually have gone for. My partner had the Hungarian oatcakes, and found the dish a little dry but generally really good. We were both satisfied! The menu is in both Czech and English, and the staff spoke good English too.

When you enter the restaurant, there's a big, tempting cake counter. The cakes look really impressive, and it was very difficult to choose what we wanted. I found the Snickers cake a wee bit too sweet, but my partner loved the chestnut cake. It was also a great spot to pick up muffins/scones for breakfast.

I'd say this is one of the best places where we ate in Budapest.

Pros: Local dishes, Great cake counter

Absolutely delicious vegan food - Edit

One of the best vegan places I've ever been to, with great food and friendly staff.
We liked it so much that we ended up eating there every day during our three day visit to Budapest.
Great choice of dishes including tasty vegan pizzas made with non-dairy cheese plus self-serve salad bar, gluten-free and raw options.
I very much enjoyed trying vegan versions of local Hungarian dishes but the absolute favourite was Napfenyes Platter for two with fried crepes filled with vegetables, marinated and grilled seitan cutlets, fried non-dairy cheese and stuffed seitan a la Kiev. Also some yummy desserts to eat in or take away.
I heartily recommend it!

Excellent - a must visit! - Edit

What a wonderful vegan restaurant. Serves Hungarian and Italian food. A choice of 13 vegan pizzas, plus pasta dishes, raw food dishes, hungarian dishes, gluten free dishes and lots lots more.
This retaurant is so good we ate there three times in our day and a half stay.

What I particularly like are:
Choice of 13 vegan pizzas
Large portion sizes
Tasty food.
The daily special is different each day and is incredibly good value at 1300 florints for a main course
They use spelt flour, agave,
They do lovely pastries.
However chocolate lovers may be disappointed as the restaurant uses carob which is a healthier alternative.
My first meal lunch consisted of soup of the day. Very lavoursome and a bargain at 450fl.
This was followed by tofu and lentil cutlets with potatoes and vegetables - I struggled to finish the meal.
For an early supper I had a small salad from the serve yourself salad bar plus I shared some garlic bread.
Lunch on day 2 consisted of a lovely squash soup, and I then shared a green vegetable pizza with my partner so I'd have enough room for the dessert.
The service was very good. Food was served promptly (perhaps a bit too promptly as not much of a gap between starter and mains) and the menu was in Hungary and English.
Centrally located.
I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant and giving it 5 stars.

Pros: large portions, vegan pizzas, vegan cakes

must try the fried vegan cheese! - Edit

The fried vegan cheese is terrific. You can get it as a side item paired with something else like the salad. The fried cheese is also available on the platter for two which was very large and a bit heavy. The other favourite item was the vanilla roll which resembled an eclair with vegan cream in the middle - amazing!

Just wow! - Edit

After a long day of walking around the Budapest we decided to give this restaurant a go, even though it was marked as vegetarian. I was sure I will find something vegan on the menu, but to my surprise the WHOLE menu is vegan. Literally everything :)
We had a soup (peas and goulash) for starter that was delicious and not too salty. For the main course we had typical Hungarian dishes vegan style and let me tell you, if the restaurant wouldn't be closed on the 31. of december, 1. and 2. of january I would eat there every day of the visit.
They also serve pizza, falafel and other vegan food, as well as some delicious pastry. Be sure to stop for a lunch or dinner, you won't regret it!

Pros: All food is vegan, tasty, good service

My favourite restaurant Nearby my workplace - Edit

I've been vegan for 5 years so It's quite hard to have a vegan lunch in the city, especially at my workplace.
Since they're open in Ferenciek tere I having lunch there every day and I'm happy with it!My wife doesn't need to cook every day.

The daily menu has a very good price, and If I want to have a romantic dinner with my wife I can choose from the A'la carte.

Very recommended!

ps.:
I do not understand why HappyCow writes it is 'vegetarian', because all the food is FULLY VEGAN, they DO NOT even use honey for tea, you can have agave syrup for it.

The only bad thing is, that there are only two Napfényes Restaurant in the city; I would like more of it!
Maybe a pizza delivery?

Pros: Fully Vegan Excellent Food, Very friendly staff, Good price

really nice - Edit

Brought my hard-to-please, non-veg parents here and they were very happy! inexpensive like most of budapest. they had a list of allergens in the dishes. the food was very tasty, i got the spring rolls. only bad thing was that we couldnt get dessert as the kitchen was closed(not something im used to, maybe its a thing in hungary?).

Pros: huge inexpensive menu, city centre, friendly staff

Cons: kitchen closes early?

One Of The Best Vegan Restaurants I've Ever Been To - Edit

Both Napfenyes restaurants are amazing! I would highly recommend it to everyone who goes to Budapest!
Everything is on a high level - interior, food, atmosphere and service. The menu is extensive, they have unbelievably delicious pizzas, Hungarian style dishes and divine desserts. There are also several gluten free dishes.
The portions are huge, and the prices are pretty low. Two persons can eat for 4000 huf (13 euros) or even less.

Pros: Huge Portions, Delicious Food, Low Prices

Best place I have ever eaten at - Edit

We are taking a trip back to Budapest this weekend and it is mainly because this restaurant is so amazing! (The city is amazing too, don't get me wrong)
The selection of food is so vast, and everything is so delicious! The pastries are amazing too! We had the Hungarian pizza and the Napfenyenes plate the first night, and then another pizza the next day. It was all extremely delicious! The staff is extremely friendly too! We were a little embarrassed because we were getting so many pastries to go, but we were leaving Budapest the next morning and we wanted to take as much from Napfenyes home as we could!
Eating here is a must when you're in Budapest!

Pros: Great variety , Delicious food, Friendly staff

ein tolles erlebnis - Edit

Hier kommt wirklich jeder auf seine kosten. es gibt von allem etwas:
raw, glutenfrei etc.
täglich gibt es spezielle angebote.
zudem gibt es auch ungarische spezialitäten. der service könnte noch etwas besser sein. ansonsten war es ein tolles erlebnis welches ich nur empfehlen kann.

Pros: raw, glutenfrei, preis

Great! - Edit

Been there twice now food was good but some very salty.

They have lots of interesting dishes. I had vegetable crepes with potatoes and mayonaise. It was very good! Later I had vegan pizza with rose lemonade wich were both very good ass well.

The first time i was there they forgot to give me a menu card and i was waiting for a very long time. I did not think much of it first because it was very busy and i sat all the way in the front. When i asked they got it for me right away and the girl that was supposed to give it to me appologized right away. The dish arrived very quickly and when I left they gave me a free scone with another appologie.

Pros: great food!, nice people, good service

Cons: too salty

perfect!!! - Edit

The only place I have been in Budapest where the food is so good as it looks like! They have everything, Italian food, Hungarian food, raw food!! And the bakery is awesome! Everybody should try the Napoleon cake!!

A must go to for any vegan! - Edit

Absolutely loved this place! Amazing food at affordable prices :) Also they have a great cake selection that you can eat in or takeaway! The restaurant is clean and well decorated, and the staff are friendly too! This place is a MUST for vegans! :)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great value for money

Amazing vegan options:) - Edit

Lovely place, amazing selection of vegan menu options, handmade pastries and desserts, smoothies and drinks. We had the mixed platter for two which featured falafel, deep fried non-dairy cheese, vegetable crepes, seitan cutlets, seitan kievs (stuffed with non-dairy cheese) and a selection of sides including rice and peas, fried onions and crushed potatoes. They do not serve alcohol but we found this a refreshing change and this did not detract from the atmosphere of the place. I wish we had somewhere like this back home in the UK. Thank you:)

Pros: Vegan pastries and desserts, Handmade beverages

Cons: Do not serve alcohol

5 Star Pizzas - Edit

I’ve never seen a vegan place with as extensive a menu as here – there is a colossal range of tofu, seitan, pizzas, pastas and salads. A lot of the dishes seem quite heavily reliant on the mock meats, and when myself and my girlfriend ordered a sharing platter we found the amount of seitan a little excessive.

However, the real star here is the pizzas – they are outstanding and made us come back 3 days in a row while we were in Budapest. The bases were baked to perfection and the cheese melted really well on top – we both said to each other that we couldn’t believe they were vegan. As with everything else on the menu there is a wide choice of different toppings.

There are also a large variety of cakes and ice creams which are all worth trying as well. Service was generally a little slow but otherwise if you are in Budapest this place is a must.

Loved it! - Edit

Your seitan is very good, maybe the best I've ever had. Scones i also loved. I wanted to have traditional Hungarian food as a vegan version and luckily you had many options.

Pros: super affordable!

Brilliant - Edit

Lovely place - we went here on our first night in Budapest and went back for the other two. Good, varied menu with lots of choice. Big range of Pizzas, some Hungarian style dishes, pastas and vegan 'grills'. My personal favourite was probably the stuffed cabbage, also had a pizza and a seitan kiev all of which I enjoyed. The desserts were good too with two or three on the menu plus a selection of different cakes (the 'honey' in a couple of the cakes was actually agave syrup). Favourite dessert was the Somlo Sponge Cake. There were raw and gluten free options also available and juices etc. to drink, I stuck to the rose lemonade which was sold by volume. Friendly staff and a pleasant environment; all in all very enjoyable and great value.

Pros: Awesome menu, great food, good value,, friendly and pleasant ambience

Mixed feelings - Edit

Food is not so great as others reviewed.
We had a Mediterranean salad which was made mostly of iceberg lettuce.
A pasta which was cold, under coocked and the tomato sauce was very salty.
An Hungarian cuisine dish which was nice.
Also an Almond cake which was good.

Pros: Many vegan options.

Cons: Expensive for food level.

Many Options for Delicious Meals and Baked Goods - Edit

I spent a week earlier this month working in Budapest and after trying this restaurant my second evening there, I returned for dinner every night and lunch once, too. I was able to sample something different at each meal and it was all well done. The women beyond the counter were very friendly and the table service was more typical of formal Hungarian waitstaff, but still very accommodating. I highly recommend the potato rolls which they had available two of the days I was there. I bought extra to take home to share with my husband they were so good! Daily specials, Hungarian dishes, and pizza were all equally well done. I cannot recommend this place too highly.

Best vegan restaurant in Budapest - Edit

Simply the best "vegan" restaurant I've been in Budapest. They have really good "veganised" hungarian food, it was a delight. The staff was nice, they have a lot of choices. Desserts are pure heaven, the vegan cheeses are great.
It's a little bit expensive compared to other Budapest restaurants but it's worth it. So good!
I haven't seen it myself cause the menu's pretty big but apparently they use honey. I hope it will change soon...

Pros: Best vegan food in Budapest, Friendly staff, Lots of choices

Cons: Honey IS NOT VEGAN, It means it's NOT a vegan restaurant, Please make your restaurant VEGAN.

napfenyes_restaurant Dear VincentGaliano,
thank you for your comment.
We would like to respond in connection the honey, the Napfényes Étterem does NOT uses honey anymore. So we DO NOT offer honey to the drinks and NONE of the cakes contains honey. So the whole Napfényes Restaurant is HONEY FREE!
The misunderstanding was the fact that earlier we offered honey as well to the tea - so honey was available up on request in our restaurant. But not anymore.
Nowdays to tea we offer agave syrup or brown cane sugar.
So Napfényes Restaurant 100% VEGAN.
So come and visit us again and tell everyone about this great news!
We are looking forward to welcome all of you!

Yummyy - Edit

We had dinner there. Everything was incredibly delicious. Seriously amazing. Even our omnivore friends were amazed. So for the food I will be going back for sure. The place looks classy but the service was disappointing.
On the way out we stopped at the confectionery shop where the lady tending the counter more than made up for the previous experience. She gave us samples of the vegan ice creams which were superb so we bought some and we took home some cakes too. They were also fantastic.
I think it is safe to say that everything at Napfenyes is delicious.

Pros: The food is to die for, Reasonable prices, Great confectionery section

Cons: The table service wasn't great

comida rápida vegan - Edit

mi esposo y yo fuimos este lugar y nos pareció excesivamente malo. todos los platillos muy condimentados con ingredientes altamente procesados, quesos con grasas trans, comida muy parecida a la famosa fastfood, los postres malos, nada increíble. terminamos de comer y caminamos mas de una hora y aun repetimos la comida. el menú raw escaso, con abundante aceite. no lo recomiendo para nosotros los raw. tuve que pedir una pizza de vegetales pero solo de ver la cantidad de grasa me fue imposible comérmela. pedí un postre Apple pie y endulzado con xylitol y con abundante harina. económico por que su moneda es diferente. no tienen Wi-Fi. no se si esa sea la filosofía les recomiendo el súper mejor una buena ensalada con vegetales y fruta que es muy barata. la comida que se quiere parecer a la que antes comíamos, con abundante soya, aceites trans, azúcares de los veganos no ha resultado buena para la salud.

Pros: localización cerca del metro , económica

Cons: no hay wi fi, comida muy procesada

AMAZING - Edit

We had only three days in Budapest so we wanted to try more vegan restaurants, however, we had to come back to Napfenyes, because it was just amazing, they have even vegan ice-cream (you have to try hazelnut-carob at least)! The food is delicious, the prices are veeeery good, the staff is very friendly and even the location is great! Oh I miss this place already :D

Pros: delicious, inexpensive, ice-cream!

Great food and friendly service - Edit

I really liked the food last night so am going back tonight to try more of their extensive range. Great value for money, a nice room and friendly and helpful staff. I am keen to try more Hungarian food. The shakes are really good.

Pros: Wide choice including Hungarian food. Great value.

Leckeres Essen, gestresste Bedienung - Edit

Wir waren Abends im Napfenyes Etterem, es war sehr voll. Auf der Karte stehen viele Fleischersatzprodukte aus Seitan. Es gibt leckere hausgemachte Limonade mit Ingwer oder Rosenwasser. Unsere Hauptgerichte kamen zügig und waren lecker. Direkt nach dem Hauptgang bestellte ich noch ein Dessert. Auf dieses musste ich dann allerdings über eine Stunde warten. Das Personal war mit dem Andrang offenbar völlig überfordert und reagierte auf meine Nachfragen zum Dessert gereizt. Schade!

Pros: Essen lecker, tolle Lage, hausgemachte Limonade

Cons: Gestresstes Personal

So good I visited two days in a row! - Edit

This restaurant gave me several gifts:
1. I met an awesome friend who, like me, ate here two days in a row.
2. Gave me the experience of enjoying Hungarian food even with my dietary restrictions.
3. The food was cheap. It was worth twice its price in the states. For Budapest, it was moderate.
4. This place is centrally located and was so easy to find.

The first night I visited here, I tried the stuffed cabbage, which was divine. The second night, I tried a Hungarian pizza. I could eat pizza every day of my life and the pizza here did not disappoint.

If you are downtown and hungry, this is the perfect place to visit. The service was lovely, they spoke English very well. They also have baked goods, which my travel partner tried and loved.

Pros: Everything.

Great find in Budapest - Edit

Was a bit difficult to find but worth it in the end. I really enjoyed the raw food platter and thought that the price was fine. Service was a bit slow but the staff were quite friendly. Impressive selection of vegan food!

My highlight in Budapest! - Edit

I visited back in 2012, and this restaurant was one of the highlights of my trip! So many options on the menu, and the food was absolutely delicious!

Pros: Nice vibe, Good value, Excellent food

Better not going there - Edit

Usually I am a great fan of vegan food, I am a 100% vegan, I love being vegan.

This restaurant was one of the rare bad experiences.

I ordered a vegetable-soup and fried asian rice noodles.

The portion sizes were very, very small, I must have ordered the meals 3x times to get fully rich.

Also I was surprised, how much time it took the staff to deliver my meals.

The prices are too high for these small portions.

The waiters were always changing and not very kind.

!!!! I didn't feel welcome being there and this is the worst thing that can happen to you when coming to a restaurant. !!!!

It was also very, very difficult at least to find the restaurant. It is very hidden from greening trees with small entries.

The only positive ting I can say, is:
The restaurant itself is clean and well-kept and I like the violet-yellow design.

[edit by staff - please see ToS]

I would not go there again.

Pros: Clean and well-kept, Beautiful Desing

Cons: Small Portions for these prices, Waiters won't pay attention to you, Hard to find

napfenyes_zsuzsi Dear LotusFlower,

Thank you for your review. These reviews that help us to become better in our service every day.
From the other reviews you will see that we are Europe-wide famous for our huge portions, so I am not sure what you mention in your review. Do come back and I would like to see you eat 3 dishes from our menu. :)))
We even get reviews to decrease the portions so they have room left for the delicious dessert we have.
And if you want to rave Kozmosz Vegan Restaurant, actually it is truely a lovely place, serving dishes we do not have on our menu, so I am pretty sure we can live happily, peacefully next to each other in the vegan and vegetarian community of Budapest. Cheers,

Poor service - Edit

We tried to eat here, and did manage to get served soup, which was delicious but ended up leaving hungry as our main courses never arrived. Service was chaotic, with wait staff wandering around with food not knowing which tables to take it to. We finally paid for our soup and left.

Pros: Soup was good

Cons: Service was extremely slow and chaotic

Tasty and filling - Edit

We ate here several times on our trip and really enjoyed it. Food is tasty and the portions are large. Great selection of cakes.

Pros: Tasty food, cake, great prices, large portions

Best meal in Budapest! - Edit

While it was a little confusing finding the place - as on happy cow it has been listed that it has moved but the updated address isn't put on this listing - only on the newly added other listing - however the address there is wrong too! - I recommend you look up this restaurant on Facebook and look at the address listed there - as we found that to be the only correct address.

My partner and I went here today for lunch and upon entering we were greeted warmly by lovely staff and taken to our seats.

The menu's are in English and all the staff spoke fluent English also. We ordered drinks of ginger lemonade and rose lemonade - both were tasty :) We ordered entree of the goulash soup and we LOVED it!! Really delicious!

For main I ordered the savoury creamy pancake with fried potatoes and vegan mayo and my boyfriend ordered the fusilli Bolognese pasta - both were really delicious!! I must say though mine was a huge serving and a VERY filling meal.. I rarely don't finish a meal but I did leave a little of the potato on my plate but really the meal could have been two - and I should have just got half of it to takeaway but it was just so delicious I kept eating until I felt ill! - It just tasted so good! Definitely not a very healthy meal and it was a bit 'heavy' - could have used a nice green salad to lighten it up a bit, but it was seriously delicious!

We also ordered a fresh apple juice and herbal tea - all good! We also ordered a piece of the Russian Cream Cake to take away - such beautiful looking desserts it was so hard to choose! It was really yummy and tasted like a traditional dessert - I was very impressed!

Everything was vegan except honey they give you with your tea and also one of the cakes in the cabinet contained honey too.

I would definitely go back here and highly recommend it - it was definitely the best meal we had in Budapest!!

Pros: Food!!! :), Staff were friendly , Desserts

Cons: Address Incorrect

Yammy - loving it - Edit

The restaurant has a big choice of different menus (Pizza, pasta, hungarian food...), they also have a variety of vegan sweets and pastry. The food is very fresh and in a good quality. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the location of the restaurant is very central. We really recommend this restaurant! (We went back 3 times :-))

Pros: big choice of different menus, fresh and good quality, located very central

amazing!!!! - Edit

We spent 5 days in Budapest and luckily found this restaurant one day before to leave, otherwise our clothes would not fit us anymore!!! Food is delicious, they have options for everybody in their menu, specials of the day, kids menu and a few options for raw vegans!
The hungarian traditipnal meals worth a try, be sure yoi're hungry cos the portions are very generous!
Cakes were very good.

Pros: very well located, pet friendly, good prices

Comfort food - Edit

I was very impressed with the food here. My boyfriend and I shared goulash soup and it was tasty. For main I had the daily special (veg stew with millet) and my boyfriend had ratatouille. The servings were huge. The only thing I'd say about this place is don't go expecting a healthy meal. Everything here was very starchy and had a lot of mock meat and fewer vegetables. For example the ratatouille was mostly fries with seitan with a light tomato flavour. No eggplant or capsicum. Nonetheless an interesting take and very delicious, if not entirely what we were expecting. The veg stew was delicious, but also not a lot of fresh veg (mostly potato and carrot with a lot of millet and a soy yoghurt topping). We had a chocolate cake for dessert and it was great! There was a huge selection of cakes and slices and they all looked amazing. The pizzas looked really good too.

Pros: Huge portions, Tasty, Lots of choice

Cons: Hard to find healthy options

Went back twice and almost a third time! - Edit

I want to thank Happy Cow for saving me on my eastern/central europe trip. The recommendations and reviews were great. Who knew there were so many restaurants to choose from?!

Liked enough we went twice (almost 3)! I took a meat-eater with me who was happy to go back a second time. The portions were filling (western portions) at great prices. There is an English menu if needed. Napfenyes has a very diverse menu with lots of options for the fussy. Who knew that vegetarian goulash could be so yummy!?! The pizzas were great. We tried 2-3 different kinds from the margherita to the coal pizza. Be aware that they do use quite a bit of meat substitutes, so if that is not your thing, ask to alter the dish.

The interior is warm and comfortable especially coming out of the cold. The wait staff was great. The salad bar was very sparse and not even worth a look. I am sure the salads off the menu are probably better.

The location is in a cellar a bit off the beaten path. It is a nice walk from the bus stop. We loved being able to walk the back streets and see the neighborhoods. There are bakeries and stores in the vicinity to stop in.

As long as they do not change the quality of the food, we will definitely be back. The restaurant was definitely a highlight for us and will be our go to in Budapest.

Pros: english menu, large selection, great value

Cons: skip the pitiful salad bar

Amazing! - Edit

I want to go back to Budapest just for this place. We had the huge vegan sharing platter for about £5 each and my omnivore boyfriend said he'd prefer it to any meat! The battered vegan cheese was actually delicious and I say that as a cheese loving veggie. Great service, taste and variety. We had the only table spare so booking ahead may be advised.
I found a lot of places on here for Budapest were small food bars and not restaurants like this place.

Pros: 100% vegan- had to ask as taste so good!, Comfortable booths, Knowledgable staff

Cons: Might need to book ahead.

Perfect - Edit

Cozy and warm restaurant with friendly staff. A lot possibilities on the menu to choose from. And the food is good! I recommend the cakes in the vitrine; I came back 3 times during a week to have my favourite "french creme" - cake :)

Pros: Ecxellent cakes, Cozy , Friendly staff

wonderful! - Edit

I was a little worried about travelling to Hungary and not having any places to eat. While I did enjoy the bread, apples, tomatoes and grapefruit juice, this place is a vegan oasis in a meaty desert. I was only able to visit once and was rushed having to pick someone up at the train station. My friend (fearful of vegan food) ordered the French onion soup and Greek salad. Her soup, while not what I imagined was delicious and I wished I had ordered it. Her salad looked basic but fresh. We both had the rose lemonade. Amazing! Stronger rose scent than I thought but was really nice (even better with a little vodka or champagne? :) ) since I had been eating bread for severs days I ordered the sunrise platter. Massive amount of food, embarrassing when you don't speak Hungarian and you try to explain that after a couple days you get really hungry for food you aren't afraid to eat... The staff was very nice. The fried cheese was great and the potatoes. I wish I could have visited and tried so many other things. Nice atmosphere, friendly people, bless them for having good vegan food in Budapest!!

Authentic Hungarian Flavours - Edit

I was sceptical that I would be able to find good vegan food in Hungary but I ate there twice in one week and took home some trad. hungarian pastries veganafied for my family to try too. Very large portions, this isnt usual in Hungary to have so much food on one plate! but so so delicious and authentic flavours I hadnt had since I was a kid. This would sway any meat eater youre travelling with and a true representation of Hungarian cuisine. Defos go for the share platter and the rose lemonade.

Pros: authentic flavours, portions, quality

Cons: small space, can get very busy, can seem a bit understaffed, they only have cookbooks in Hungarian

Awesome - Edit

I had really good time as a vegan in Budapest. Napfenyes was my first choice to visit, and after a great night eating a lot and still spending less money than I expected comparing to other inexpensive restaurants, I was sure that I would go back. So, I went there three times within five days.
Portions are generous, food is magnificent and you must try raw cakes -- they are stunning.

Their pizzas were the best I ever tasted. It's a tough parameter to reach, so I feel pity for other pizzas I used to eat in my country -- I'll compare them using Napfenyes standard :)

Pros: Tasty, Big portions, Cheap

Cons: They could have wine, Honey instead of agave

A must for a vegan - Edit

We had a wonderful experience here. The atmosphere was lovely and all the tables were occupied. The food was amazing and service wonderful. We had a French onion soup then split a plate of assortment of dishes for two, dessert and grain coffee. It was a lot of food and very good.
Definitely recommend to anyone traveling to Budapest.

ok restaurant but NO ORGANIC food! - Edit

the restaurant is ok but they use NONorganic soy cheese and nonorganic soy and tofu so on which often contains gmo or traces of gmo.
so i dont recommend anyone to eat pizza or other foods with soy there.
Their salad is very good anyway.

Pros: salad

Cons: gmo soy stuff

Veggie Fest in Budapest - Edit

Definitely the best and tastiest veggie meal we had in Budapest. Laid back but friendly and attentive service, really well presented food with a good range of menu options. Highly recommended.

Pros: Nice size yet cosy restaurant, Tasty food, Good service

Make sure you're really hungry - Edit

Interesting place, located in the basement, has a bit of a canteen feel to it. I had to wait in the queue to get a sit, very crowded. I had fried vegan cheese with mashed potatoes and vegan mayo, it was tasty but I have never felt so full in my life! I guess they take the "Hungarian specialties" concept pretty seriously:)

Pros: inexpensive, lots of local dishes, central location

Cons: gets very crowded

Absolutly excellent - Edit

I ate an superb menu there few days ago. They have quite lots of a la carte choices and besides three daily varying specials. Really tasty and generous portions! This was the best I ate in one week Budapest.
The dessert was also yummy, but I was this kind of cake with a pretty hard upper layer, so it couldn't be severed with a fork (nor spoon) without destroying all the tender layers in the middle. As a result the piece of cake looked awfully only after one bite. But in fact it was so good anyway that I didn't care.
Also I appreciated the fresh squeezed juice.
Although located in the basement the atmosphere was very nice.
There are some basic baking ingredients offered for purchase.
While my visit several people came to only buy confectionery stuff, so that's also a good idea.
Anytime again!

Well worth a visit! - Edit

Visited here on my birthday in Budapest and wasn't disappointed. Bit of a trek to get there but well worth it. Nice relaxed and helpful atmosphere. Staff more than able to cope with our non-Hungarian speaking requests. We had the grill platter with a side of braised cabbage and it was fabulous! Really tasty, beautifully cooked and presented. Highly recommended.
Would definitely visit again.

Pros: Fabulous vegan food, Helpful staff, Very reasonably priced

Cons: Bit of a trek, Not for the mobility impaired

Nice Restaurant - Edit

Went to Napfenyes during a trip to Budapest. Loved it!
Nice place, good food, friendly service.
It's rather inexpensive (dishes of the day from 1300 forins, up to 2000 for some items on the menu). The changing offer seemed quite varied.

Pros: Quality food, Fairly priced, Changing offer

ridiculous. - Edit

So, let's preface this review with the fact that they served me the wrong pizza. And I didn't care one bit.

I'll chalk this down to language barrier as the waitress was awesome and friendly so when my Hawaiian turned up, instead of my Popeyes pizza, I realised on the first bite - and the first bite made my brain explode so much that I wouldn't have given the pizza back - had they realised their error and claimed it from me... My god it was good.

I also ordered a side of falafel which were so fluffy and crispy on the outside.. Wow... My only not so great meal was my starter, I had the dumpling soup - which, though tasty - was a bit watery... However - my gf had the French onion soup. Which we ended up sharing as it was the best soup I've ever tasted. So creamy, rich and incredible.

If you are undecided where to go. Stop contemplating. Go here. Fill your boots.

Pros: amazing, friendly, polite staff, delicious vegan cheese - pizza = awesome

Cons: not every meal is as amazing as the best of them.

Love it! - Edit

The best vegan restaurant is Budapest! Delicious meals and huge portions, friendly staff. Try the bean goulash, vegan Somlói sponge cake.

Pros: Variety of meals , Huge portions, Friendly staff

Cons: A bit overpriced

Love This Place! - Edit

My boyfriend and I have been here many times and were never dissappointed. We have been to all the vegan places in Budapest, and it is by far the best. Although the prices are really cheap, you wouldn’t know it with the cozy inviting atmosphere. The daily specials always mean there is something new, fresh, and delicious, definitely try!

This place is definitely worth the walk/subway ride!

Really the only area I’d like to see improved is using less fake cheese (but that’s just my personal preference).

Pros: Atmosphere, Portion Sizes/Taste, Price

Cons: Location a bit far, Use of fake cheese/soy products

MOST DELICIOUS COOKED VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN DISHES - Edit

I always choose Napfényes Étterem if i want to have a proper sit-at-the-table lunch/dinner with my friends. Love the variety of the daily menu and the choices on the menu including traditional Hungarian dishes like Stuffed Cabbage. Dishes are always deliciously done and seasoned. No doubt they use the best ingredients and prepare food with purified water. I enjoy selecting a salad plate from the salad buffet which is always fresh. Also a few raw dishes have been introduced recently. Whatever i decide to have at the restaurant me and my stomach always leave happy and satisfied :) This place is also the Only place where i eat ice cream. Can hardly wait to go there next time... this afternoon maybe.
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 19, 2014

Pros: great variety, good value, large portions

Nice place to eat - Edit

First very important thing: if you want to pay with a card, make sure to let them know before you order anything!

I ate here twice, and it was nice both times. Not "to die for", exactly, but delicious nonetheless. The restaurant has a nice interior, as well.

The only thing that was a bit annoying was the waitresses would basically never come to check on you after bringing the food and you had to chase one down if you needed anything, but that may be a Hungarian cultural thing.

Pros: pretty, traditional dishes

Lovely, The Best Vegan Restourant I've Been To! - Edit

Great Vegan food, lots of choices, delicious, a very comfortable and nice atmosphere, really kind staff (though a little slow) , and low prices! Highly recommended.

Pros: Price , Food, Variety

Cons: Slow Service

Best restaurant in Budapest - Edit

Napfenyes Etterem is my favorite place in Budapest. They have pizza, which is Hungarian style, meaning it is heavy on the cheese and can have some unusual ingredients. It's really good, and my non-vegan friends said they wouldn't have guessed it was vegan cheese. They also have a lot of traditional Hungarian dishes, such as fried palacsinta, which is my favorite entree. The grilled seitan that my friend got looked incredible, too.

I asked if any of the desserts had honey in them and was told none of them did. Also, they don't use chocolate, only carob, and it is better than most carob I've had.

The prices are good, but a little higher than some other Hungarian places. However, I think for the quality and quantity of food, it's a very good deal. For instance, a main dish is usually about 2000 forints, which currently is about $9.

I went here three times in as many days, and the only thing I didn't like was the Caesar salad, which was made with mayonnaise instead of a regular Caesar dressing. Everything else was wonderful. Also, I got some pastries to go, which were cheap and great.

Pros: Amazing food, English menus, vegan versions of Hungarian dishes

Cons: Can be crowded, Caesar salad not great, not too conveniently located

Exellent food! small store idside - Edit

Great pizza and gulash! nice desserts. must visit!
small store inside where you can buy vegan cheese and some stuff.

Pros: great food!, not exspansive, friendly staff

Cons: location

My favorite restaurant in Budapest - Edit

I live in Budapest, so I have been to all vegan restaurants:) I love this place:) not expensive but food is so good:) they have amazing daily selections which only cost 1300ft for the main dish. I love their food is not salty compare to most Hungarian restaurants. I love their vegan ice cream during summer time and all bakeries:) their food is pretty healthy:) I love their pizza and seitan dishes:) I come to this restaurant almost. Twice a week:) perfect place:) staffs are all speck English and super friendly:) the place is clean and nice:)

Pros: Amazing vegan food, Great daily selections, Awesome staffs

Cons: Not easy to find the first time

Great, inexpensive food! - Edit

Ate here recently for dinner with family. Delicious food, big portions, and plenty of options. Salads, soups, pasta, pizzas, and other main dishes. I recommend getting the vegan Somloi Galuska for dessert! There is also a salad bar and vegan ice cream bar. The prices overall were very reasonable granted how much food you get. Great restaurant!

Recent Visit - Edit

Went to this restaurant with some non veggie friends. Very impressed with the style and decor. Very professional and efficient service. For once felt like we were in a normal restaurant.Plenty of choice on the menu and good quality food.
Wide choice of Pizza's on menu but not gluten free option as yet.They are working on that right now.Opportunity to purchase a small selection of veggie/vegan products. Reasonably priced and everyone enjoyed the experience.

Pros: ambiance, choise, value for money

Cons: no gluten free option, not in centre of city

Great food, very friendly staff - Edit

I have been to Budapest for a few days over the weekend and Nápfenyes Étterem was my choice for dinner every day. Liked the food a lot, the staff members are very friendly and very attentive. The first two days I chose to have a meal from the daily menu offers and was extremely satisfied both times. On the last day, a friend and me decided to try the "Sunshine" platter and were not dissapointed. It was phantastic. We also liked the cake offered in the restaurant; I had the caramel cake twice and enjoyed it a lot both times. Very creamy consistency and great taste. My drink was always a tasty freshly squeezed beetroot-carrot-celery-apple-juice. On my next stay on Budapest, I will definitely return to this wonderful restaurant!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

agree it is the best - Edit

Worth every effort to get here, quite close to rail and metro, good decor , helpful staff and the food is brilliant, the soup and the platter for 2 was very filling and we were quite surprised that it was not that expensive, can't wait to go back in the one week we are in Budapest

Pros: food, staff, decor

Best In Budapest & Beyond. Ridiculously Good. - Edit

I love this place. I can not stress that enough. I ate there twice (honestly if not for the Easter holidays where the restaurant was closed, I would have eaten there every day). My first visit was this incredible cauliflower seitan tower of delicious amazingness. Great tea, dessert was divine. I was going to order an appetizer but the waitress let me know that they had big portions so I didn't. She was right, I had to take some home (it was an amazing breakfast the next morning). I am only upset I didn't get an appetizer as I would have been able to try another item. The killer on my cauliflower madness was the shredded cheese. Uncooked, vegan cheese. That was THE BEST vegan cheese I HAVE EVER HAD. I couldn't believe what I was eating. This basically meant that on my next visit I had to order the pizza because this cheese was blowing my mind. The pizza? Unbelievable. It tosses every other vegan cheese (save Dr. Cow's macadamia) to the curb. It melted, it browned, it tasted incredible. They sell the cheese too. (A Greek company called Vio Life. Sadly it is not available in the States though they are working on it.) The menu is large and varied, the wait staff is terrific, they have an English menu and the restaurant itself is this super cute little spot. It is without exaggeration now one of my favorite restaurants in the world. Go and go early, so you can go back again!

Pros: Delicious Food!, Incredible Menu!, Did I mention the food?

Big portions and exellent taste - Edit

We stayed in Budapest for a week an viseted Napfenyes Etterem twice, because the food was very delicious and cheap for what you get.
The first time my boyfriend had a Sunbuger, which was at the daily menu, and I ate a dish with seitan and frech fries. Both portions were huge and I didnt managed to eat all.
The second time we shared a Sunlight Platter with Falafel, fried non dairy cheese and seitan, vegetable filled pancaked, red cabbage, mashed potatoes with onions and rice with peas. Really everthing was super yummy and well seasoned. Everthing was plenty, so we left stuffed.
For dessert we took out a pice of vegan cake which was good to.
You have to try the ginger lemonade, which was the best I ever had in my life.
Both times we payed about 20€ for the food an big drinks for both of us.

Pros: big portions, yummy food and ginger lemonade, many cakes to choose from

Cons: It's a bit crowed at late times

beautiful food and great service! - Edit

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant on the first night of our trip and had the sunshine platter - perhaps even too much for the both of us! As a vegan I was delighted to find somewhere specialising in non meat non dairy food and my non vegan boyfriend and I had a lovely time. The staff were wonderful and attentive :) we shall be going back for some vegan cake! =^.^=

Pros: value, atmosphere

We loved the unique menu :D - Edit

Although we had trouble finding the Resturant it was worth it when we did..

Beautiful atmosphere and a broad menu with many options we struggled to decide what to have..
I went for the special of the day which was a Thai soup and Daniel went for the vegan twist on the traditional Hungarian dish goulash soup.. We were both impressed especially as we had seen goulash soup advertised so much throughout our trip, was nice to sample the local cuisine :)
For main I had the falafels and salad and Daniel had the French vegetables while I was happy with my choice Daniel felt, if he was being picky the portion was quite big and a little salty..but he still ate it all!!
Huge range of deserts.. I tend to look at the deserts before the main!! Lots to choose from.. We had the poppy seed sponge and millet balls.. Cake was the better option.. But both delicious.
We don't eat bread but if you do the pizzas looked pretty impressive.
We were really happy we came here.. Service was great, enjoyed the food and the opportunity to experiment with new tastes..
Very cheap taking into consideration the quality of food and setting.

Would highly recommend it :D
Victoria cosmic xxx

Updated from previous review on Monday November 25, 2013

Pros: Unique menu, Great atmosphere, Cheap prices

Cons: Large portions

tasty vegan food but we got sick - Edit

I went to Napfenyes Etterem with two friends. We had a great time. The menu is very diverse with loads of dishes that look great I wanted to try everything. Hungarian traditional food-vegan style was awesome (I had the cabbage rolls which were amazing). Waitresses were nice and speak good english (there's an english menu too).

Prices a totally decent and it's definitely a great value for money.

Unfortunately my friend and I got sick the night after. We shared a sponge cake together (which I found glorious at the time I was eating it) So I guess it's that.

If you're in the area, just pop by, it totally worth it!

Pros: diverse menu, tasty food, good value for money

Cons: got sick, a bit hard to find

Best vegan restaurant so far... - Edit

Amazingly tasty menu. We went every day after we first tried it.. Wife is vegan. Food jjust fantastic.
Fairly close to Andrassy ave, great staff, great value...well almost priceless value if you are vegan.
Seemed very popular. We managed to get a table both times, but no others were free...

Pros: Food, Service, Value

Cons: No alcohol?

Delicious Hungarian Vegan Food! - Edit

I met a few locals at Napfenyes Etterem for lunch. When I walked in, I immediately noticed their beautiful vaulted brick ceiling. I had a feeling that this restaurant would be fantastic based on the wonderful aromas coming out of the kitchen. I ordered a delicious vegetable lover pizza, and couldn't resist also ordering the Hungarian stuffed pickled cabbage. I really appreciate when vegetarian/vegan restaurants veganize traditional dishes from their country of origin, and this restaurant has done outstanding job making their food very appealing to both veg-types and meat eaters alike. I highly recommend Napfenyes Etterem!

Pros: Food, Value, Portion sizes

The best vegan food in a long time - Edit

This was by far the best vegan food we had in a long time, and we travel constantly in the US and in Europe. The traditional Hungarian dishes were my favorites and the salad bar is super tasty! We ate there three times within 3 days! If you come with two or more people, make sure to try a few different dishes, and definitely check out the vegan goulash soup.

For spice fans, ask for their special hot powder - that was super spicy and really good. Must eats: cabbage rolls, pasta with wild sauce, seitan dishes with sauce, salad bar, beet juice. Skip the calzone or anything with fries - there are so many better things to be had!

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Greatest vegan food, Friendly staff

Cons: Ladies bathroom super small

Disappointment - Edit

The restaurant is nice and quiet, and the waitresses are nice. We took the Sunlight Platter for Two (3800 HUF)that has:
(fried vegetable pancakes, sesame-breaded dairy-free cheese, marinated and grilled seitan cutlets and falafel served with rice and green peas, mashed potatoes and onions, braised cabbage and tartar sauce).
I liked the vegetable pancakes, but all the other meals were nothing special. I couldn't eat the dairy-free cheese (horrible taste). The tartar sauce was good. But I'm disappointed, even the potatoes had no taste! ANd almost everything was fried and had the same taste. And what about the rice with peas? I don't go to a restaurant to eat rice with peas!
As dessert we ordered a sort of cheesecake with a purple jam on it, and it really had no taste at all! other 2 customers ordered it too and couldn't eat it, and we saw some of the other customers that didn't eat the Sunlight Platter too, and the pizzas.
To drink we had 1 ginger lemonade and 1 rose water lemonade, that were good! They don't have beers, because as they say in the 1st page of the menu, they only have healty food and drinks (but they have a lot of fries meals, that doesn't sound so healty to me!)

Pros: lemonade, courtesy, quiet

Cons: dessert, food, no beer

Best Vegetarian Restaurant in Budapest! - Edit

During my stay at Budapest in August 2013 I ate three times at this restaurant. The first evening I had the ratatouille seitan cutlets. That meal was very delicious! I can really recommend it to everybody going to this restaurant.
The second evening I tried one of their vegan pizzas (I think, it was the Coal Burner´s pizza). Unfortunately I got the pizza only 50 minutes after I ordered it. I still don´t know what exactly went wrong. After all the staff, who was very friendly, offered me a piece of cake for free. The vegan pizza was very good, but nevertheless I still prefer vegetarian pizzas (with real cheese) - sorry dear vegans!
The third evening I had the fried cheese in sesame crumbs with rice, which was of course excellent.

Whenever I am going back to Budapest, I am going back to this restaurant too.

Pros: excellent food, big portions, fair prices

Great food - Edit

You can get a great choice of à la carte food, from pizza and pasta to typical hungarian dishes made vegan. Portions are pretty big, but you can take the rest with you when you leave. To Hungarian standards not cheap. It's located a bit away from the closest metro stops in not the nicest neighbourhood. But probably worth the walk.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 14, 2009

We went back in 2013 and i can only recommend them even more. Huge portions, excellent service, long opening hours.

I would recommend the "sunny platter for two", where you get a bit of everything which gives you a taste of everything they have on their menu for when you come back, because you'll want to come back for sure !

Pros: Big portions, Excellent service, Long opening hours

Cons: Location

The best...in Budapest? No ever! - Edit

From the review I already had some really good expectation before eating in Napfenyes. The dream started while walking down the stairs and being welcomed by a great smile. The environment is really homely and beautiful.

In four days in Budapest I was there at least once a day. Why?

Because of the amazing daily plates offered.
Because of the delicious fresh juices (carrot was my favourite).
Because of the abundant meal for a fair price.

I think the food was really divine and really various so to never get bored and the staff make you feeling at home.

This is probably the best restaurant I ever step it!

Five beautiful cows for them!

Pros: good food and fare portions, smiling staff, not expensive at all

Best vegan place in Budapest! - Edit

My friend and I stayed in Budapest for 6 days and we had our dinner here 4 nights. The atmosphere was very cosy and my friend who is not a Vegan loved the place as well. We had the sunlight (?) platter for two, seitan with grilled vegetables and some daily menu dishes and it was all very delicious.

Pros: good value, big portions

Best place in town - Edit

Very nice vegan restaurant. On our ten days trip to Budapest we ate here almost every day with our three girls (7, 4 and 1 years old).
The pizzas are great. We love the three cheese pizza. Choose the Sunlight Platter for Two if you go here for the first time. You can taste every delicious specialties. But don't eat too much. You need to save space for the deserts. The cake are great and if you have enough space choose the Somló Sponge Cake. It's a mix of cake, chocolate sauce and whipcream.
You can also buy ice cream with great tastes like chocolate, vanilia, nuts, karamel.

Pros: Good price, Delicious food, Vegan pizza

Best traditional Hungarian food, veg*n style - Edit

I was very impressed with both the food and the service at Napfényes Étterem. What i wasn't prepared for (despite my server's kind warnings) is the extremely generous portions! I ordered a cup of goulash as a starter, which was exquisite. Then, when my main course came, i wished i'd brought a clone of myself along. I had the Ratatouille Seitan Cutlets, which were exceptionally tasty but it was impossible to finish the mountain of food. So, a tip: consider starting with just one dish and then ordering more if you're still hungry. It's a shame to finish a meal here with no room left for dessert, since they have a number of fine vegan desserts.

The fresh carrot juice was much appreciated on a hot day. :-)

The atmosphere was tranquil and pleasant, and the service was gentle and attentive.

Highly recommended!

Pros: Delicious, Generous portions = good value, All vegan

Vegan Oasis - Edit

All around awesome. Some of the dishes are a little bland but they're all good. The desserts are awesome. And best of all, it's pure vegan in a country where that is hard to come by. Staff is awesome. Go there!

Very good meal - - Edit

We were there on a Thursday evening - fairly crowded but we were seated right away. Happy to have a menu in English and the staff spoke good English.
Meals were both very good. We had a grilled seitan with grilled veggies and the other entree was asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, seitan and potatoes.
Sorry we didn't find it until our last night in Budapest. Would have definitely gone back. Good value for the price.
Great food, all vegan, nice environment - really enjoyed it.

Pros: all vegan

A gem - Edit

I visited Napfenyes Etterem restaurant and was delighted with the clean and stylish interior of the restaurant and the food.
A real treat! Would love to go back again.

Pros: Stylish, Clean, Welcoming

Cons: The main courses are too big

Nice vegan restaurant - Edit

I have been living in Budapest for 7 years now, however only got round to visiting the place mid March this year with a friend of mine in the afternoon hours. There were roughly 10 people inside. The place itself is in a cellar, so it might be hot during summer. Staff speaks English and the menu card is in English and German too. We waited roughly 20 mins for our food to arrive. If you order pizzas you might wait longer depending on how crowded the place is.
My friend had a popeye pizza which was nice, however I prefer the Italian type "thin" layer pizzas. We Hungarians love all types of pasta so I can apologize for this. :D
I had Fried Pancakes Filled with Vegetable Cream served with Mashed Potatoes and Onions. Nothing to comment here. :) The portions are huge.
As for dessert we tried a Hungarian speciality Somló Sponge Cake (just one for both of us) which was just perfect. I love if a place serves exlusively vegan food. 2 main dishes, 1 dessert with drinks we paid ~ 15 EUR which is damn cheap compared to standard European prices, and a bit more expensive than other Hungarian places where you can get vegan food.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 12, 2013

Pros: exclusively vegan food, massive portions

Cons: no alcohol :)

interesting, but... - Edit

I was the with a group of conference participants, we were smth like 30 people there with pre-booked tables, and we all got same meals (booked by our organizers). Maybe because it was a lot too handle for restaurant staff, the meal was very simple (smth with buckwheat or alike), and I didn't really get taste out of it. Then came desserts, they looked good, but tastes much less good. The staff though was friendly, and I believe if I was there alone and ordered a separate meal, it would have turned out better. But for now I can only say that the food is average and lack some flavours.

Pros: cozy place, lots of space

Cons: average food

Excellent pizza! - Edit

My friend and I had a pizza each, and they were both delicious! Best vegan pizzas I ever had. They are topped with fake meats, veggies, differant vegan cheeses,... simply perfert! It's nice to actually have a chose of pizzas, instead of trying to get them to make a vegan one. My friend who is only vegetarian was also pleased to be able to have something else than a simple cheese pizza.

My desert (the cappuccino cake) was a bit bland, but his (the hazzlenut cake) was also very nice. I would diffenatly go back!

Pros: pizzas, pizzas, and more pizzas!

Cons: none!

Yummy! - Edit

I was there 2 evenings. They were rather crowded with a lot of happy customers.
Good and elaborated food, nice portions....I never managed to get a dessert as I was too full from a first and main dish. A pity cause they looked delicious :)

Pros: vast selection, local dishes, friendly staff

Visit on 24.03.2013 - perfect! - Edit

We were there on the first day of our stay in Budapest, right after arriving. It just made our mood and was a perfect beginning of a fascinating adventure in this wonderful city! Highly recommend! Pleasant music, nice people, however, you need to ASK for menu in English (on the tables you find only the one in Hungarian).

A good place over all - Edit

I have been there twice so far, and I love the food. Everything is vegan and I bought some vegan cheese there. I couldn't finish the food and I have to take away:) the price is ok, but I have to wait a long to order or for the bill. I love a cake, but they don't have it the second time that I went there!! Over all, I love that place. I would go back again and again.

Pros: Great Food, Big amount food, Good price

Cons: They don't always have same desserts , Waiters are always busy

friendly authentic vegetarian - Edit

great food, great atmosphere and very friendly staff. the fact that it was early march probably helped as it was not too warm as i had noted from other reviewers that it could get pretty warm in there.I could envisage that becoming a problem in the warmer months as it is set in a cellar but in the winter it's perfect for keeping out the chilly wind and rain that we found ourselves in.i had the vegetable pakora and it was to die for, extremely diverse and imaginative. the juices were amazingly fresh and tasty as an aparetif too. the deserts were in a glass cabinet that alas we didn't have room for as the main course portions are well and truly 'man sized', the deserts looked amazing though, with even a hint of rawness about them?
i would recommend this restaurant without hesitatation, price, friendliness and food are or in the excellent catagory. when in Budapest do not miss out.

Pros: food, juices, staff

Cons: well off the beaten track, may get warm in the summer

Notre adresse preferee a Budapest ! - Edit

Quelle bonne surprise ! Nous ne sommes pas végétariens et nos deux enfants n'aiment pas les légumes. Mais nous avons décidé de tenter le coup au vu du descriptif dans le lonely planet. Bien nous en a pris, et nous y sommes même retournés une 2eme fois a la demande des enfants !! Les soupes sont divines, les,pizzas délicieuses et le plat pour deux est une merveille. Les crepes frites aux petits légumes sont une tuerie et l'écrasé de pommes de terre aux oignons qui les accompagne est un modele du genre... Les portions sont *colossales* mais ne vous forcez pas a finir en force, car le personnel, (adorable, cool, souriant...) se fera un plaisir de vous emballer les restes pour que vous les emportiez ! Et vu les quantités, c'est vraiment deux repas pour le prix d'un... Une exquise tisane pour pousser le tout et voila  un repas bon marché, remarquablement cuisiné et parfumé, nourrissant et léger a la fois... Notre adresse préférée a Budapest, avec unanimité parents/enfants !

Pros: Excellent food, huge portions, Friendly staff, Excellent value

A must! - Edit

5 bovines!
Make sure you come here if you come to Budapest!

Firstly, be careful, as honey is considered vegan in Eastern Europe, so specify you don't have it and respecify to be on the safe side at the end.

This is not the easiest place to find. However the trek to it is well worth it. Though don't travel at night as Budapest is not the safest place (or so we've heard from the internet).

Come as soon as you can, this place is cheap as chips but as grand as...well something grand!

The food was packed full of flavour. Though it is a little heavy, that is how I happen to like my food.

The pizzas were the best I've ever had.
The pasta exquisite.
The pancakes very filling.

And the Caesar salad is a great joint starter.

Try the home made ginger and rosewater lemonade, they're delicious.

And don't forget that they are very well prepared for taking food away. We bought extra pancakes the second time to take away with us and eat on the train, and they were scrumptious.

love this place! - Edit

stayed in Budapest for 5 nights and went to this restaurant 7 times...
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 17, 2013

Pros: friendly staff, nice atmosphere, tasty food

Cons: could rarely finish my plate , honey on the menu...!!

Amazing Vegan Restaurant - Edit

I had the best pizza and baked vegan cheese so far at this place. Even my non-vegan company was amazed how "real" the food tasted.

The portion size is huge and leaves nothing to be desired.

The menu is available in Hungarian, English and German.
The personnel is very friendly.

Being from Vienna, I'd go to Budapest any time just to visit this place again.

Pros: Huge portion size, Excellent food, Very affordable

Cons: A bit difficult to find

great veg spot in budapest - Edit

This is a terrific restaurant located in the basement of a building with a fabulous U-shaped brick ceiling and warm colors. It was quite full for a Tuesday evening at 20:30 which is always a good sign. I began with the soup du jour which was a tofu noodle.. great taste and ingredients however the soup itself came out just lukewarm! I don't expect it to be freshly prepared each time but at least warm it up out of the pot! Still, I enjoyed it.. quickly before it got any cooler. For my main I had the fried pancakes with vegetable cream on a bed of mashed potatoes. The fried pancakes were excellent! Very good. The mashed potatoes were a little chunky for my taste but the smoother bits had a nice flavor and texture. The serving size was generous however I'd have preferred one more pancake (there were three) and less potatoes. The server was friendly and polite however my food took quite some time to come out... strangely the people who sat down next to me well after I arrived received their food (the platter for two) and had nearly finished it by the time mine came. Even the soup took some time to come out... and not because they were checking the temperature. ;) It was as though they'd forgotten about me. Nevertheless, I very much enjoyed my meal here and will be back the next time I'm in Budapest.. a fabulous city indeed.

Pros: large portions, delicious, cool decor

Cons: lukewarm soup, slow service

Always Sunny here! - Edit

This restaurant is a panacea in a sea of the heavy, meat dishes of Hungary. The daily specials are delicious and the waitstaff is very friendly! German, English and Hungarian menus are accommodating. The salad bar is lacking, but other dishes make up for it!