Nanuchka

• Vegan
Contact 03-5162254

30 Lilienblum St, Tel Aviv, Israel,

Restaurant-bar converted to all vegan in Feb 2014. The decor is reminiscent of days of the Tsars, and boasts one of the most exuberant bars in the city where patrons come to dine on the Georgian cuisine and drink -- a Tel Avivian nightlife experience.

Category: Vegan, Beer/Wine, European, Georgian

First Review by Brok O. Lee

Perfect - Edit

food is amazing (check out the chinkali with spinach and nuts!), beautiful atmosphere, very special. everything about this place is pure goodness :)
go Nana!
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 18, 2015

original vegan mains and desserts - Edit

Lively atmosphere with eclectic decor and belly dancing. Highlights for us were some of the mains: the pilaf and the love balls were very well seasoned! Desserts were very nice too especially the parfait and the chocolate fingers. Appetizers were underwhelming.

Excellent food, a delight for vegans - Edit

There are really few truly vegan restaurants in Israel. I even had one question about this one, but since I didn't order that item, forgot to ask - one menu item has some kind of yogurt dressing, and if it is real yogurt, then it is the one non-vegan menu choice. So check, if you need. There are many vegetarian or vegetarian and fish restaurants in Israel, which typically are very big on eggs and cheese, and the fresh pasta also has eggs, so we came specifically to enjoy a vegan restaurant with a unique menu - Georgian cooking. Three of us dined, and we each chose a different "business meal", which you can have until 5pm. The business meal is definitely a good deal. The bread and salad served with these meals were excellent, and each of us enjoyed the main dish we chose (stuffed vegetables, stuffed round zucchini, and a spinach/tofu pastry), and each was served nicely with tasty additions. My stuffed zucchini had some pureed vegetables as a base, which were spiced very nicely. All the spices, in fact, were very tasty. We ordered a dessert (after all, we were celebrating a birthday), not included in the business meal, and that was a bit pricey. They were chocolate fingers (the choice of the guy with the b'day), and I thought they were on the "too sweet" side.
They could spiff up the rest room - not as clean as would be nice, and could use more lighting. Also, given the number of seats in the restaurant, a second one would be helpful The acoustics could be improved, as well, but otherwise, the atmosphere was pleasant, and the wait staff very helpful and pleasant.
I would like to see them offer whole grain options: whole grain bread, brown rice, etc. The bread, pastry dough, rice, etc. were all white flour, white rice.

Pros: Great food, reasonable business meal, helpful wait staff

Cons: rest room not great

Great vegan menu and nice decor. - Edit

Food was great. Staff was friendly and attentive. The stuffed grape leaves starter was to die for. We had the spinach and nut Hinkali and the Pirashki for main dishes...both excellent. The chocolate cake dessert was heaven. All good but I found the portions a bit small and the whole meal sort of pricey.

2 vegans + 2 meat eaters all loved it! - Edit

Our meat eating friends took us because we are vegan, and they used to love the restaurant before it turned vegan. They were willing to give it a try because they loved it when it was a meat restaurant, figuring that a good chef is a good chef. We ordered 3 appetizers, including the salad sampler plate (that is not what it's called, but I cannot find the menu on line right now). The sampler was good, but a bit standard. The two others were really delicious. (One was a pastry with different types of mushrooms.) We also ordered 3 mains, making sure that we chose dishes that would provide different eating experiences. We loved each dish!
One of our friends eats 'gluten free' and was quite happy with the range of options for him.
Since a few people mentioned service, I must add that our service was good enough. We went for a late lunch and the place was relatively quiet. The staff was friendly and attentive.
All in all, we look forward to going back!

Pros: Interesting, delicious vegan food, Nice range of gluten free options, Fun environment

The worst vegan dinner I had! - Edit

I was excited to try the new Nanuchka menu but was deeply disappointed. The dishes were not flavorful and the presentation was mediocre. The cooks clearly have no idea about balanced and healthy vegan and vegetarian meals. Just because you drop the meat Nanuchka it doesn't make it healthy. The service was poor and the waitstaff is not very knowledgeable. I don't understand what the hype is all about.
Save your money there are plenty of other options in Tel Aviv for better and healthier vegetarian and vegan dishes.

Pros: none

Cons: staff is not knowledgeable in vegan cook, poor service, flavorless meals with poor presentation

Amazing food - one of the best in town - Edit

I live in Tel Aviv, and I know there's no lack of good vegan food here. Still, I used to go to Nanuchka even before the place went vegan, as the few vegan dishes they had were unbelievable.
Now that the whole menu is vegan one could simply move in there. It's highly recommended to go in big groups if you can, just so you can take everything and get a taste of everything. It's a bit pricey, but a meal to remmember.

Pros: Amazing food, Great atmosphere , Fine wine

Cons: A bit costly

Memorable Culinary Experience - Edit

Go here for a delicious and memorable experience! The minute you enter, you're in a different world. There are several rooms with an eclectic decor and subdued lighting, also outdoor seating. You can have an intimate table for two or a party of 20, or anything in between. There is also a huge bar which fills up around 10 pm and keeps going until 5 am.

Whether you're vegan or not, you're in for a wonderful and delicious culinary experience. The menu offers authentic Georgian cuisine, and is 100% vegan. There is a terrific selection of starters, and you could even make a meal of a few of these. I especially recommend the platter of seven salads, the "Hinkaly" - savory dumplings stuffed with spinach and nuts, and the "Hachapory" soy cheese-stuffed pastry. All the dishes are excellent, expertly prepared, and unlike anything you've ever tasted! There are salads, breads, stuffed vegetables, stews, and more. And desserts! Try the "Hacht'halla" - it's walnuts coated with a dried grape pudding.

If you're travelling in Israel, definitely come to Tel Aviv to eat at Nanuchka!

Pros: Great food, Authentic Georgian cuisine, Wonderful ambience

Return to Tel Aviv Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nanuchka closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4795 times since Feb 2014.