Nan Tien Temple

• Vegetarian
Contact 02-42720600

180 Berkeley Rd, Berkeley, Wollongong, New South Wales, 2506

Nan Tien buddist temple has 2 vegetarian eateries. The Dew Drop Inn serves cafe style Asian meals with dishes like tofu laska, wanton soup, spring rolls for $4-10, lunch only. Upstairs the Dining Hall is cafeteria style and offers a plate for $8 that includes 3 sides, rice, fried rice of noodles, and fruit.

Category: Fast food, Asian, Buddhist

First Review by cvxmelody

Great atmosphere - Edit

The Nan Tien Temple is one of my favorite places in the whole world. I have only eaten at the down stairs cafe/ restaurant and it is quite good. The meals are quite small and simple but I have never been disappointed with a meal. It has such a great atmosphere and you feel so at peace and happy eating there. It's a great experience at a fantastic place. Not all of the meals are vegan unfortunately, I thought they were until they changed the wording on the menu and I realised i had been eating egg noodles (YUCK!), so make sure you check the ingredients with them, although it is quite hard because non of the staff speak much English. Over all it's a wonderful place to eat and the money for the food is going to the Temple. Make sure you have a look around the temple, it's amazing!

Pros: Amazing atmosphere, good food

Cons: over priced, simple meals (but yum), small portions

Winter tucker - Edit

On a blustery winter day we just enjoyed delicious and warming curry at the tea house. And we were just remarking that it is a very nice atmosphere. Coming here frequently you get to see the seasons rolling by. Now the lotus pond is resting with no lotus visible waiting for spring to shoot up new growth. We also stayed the night in the peaceful temple atmosphere to have a break from the busy Sydney pace.

Serene and imposing - Edit

The Nan Tien complex is claimed to be the largest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere (which I find plausible) and well worth a visit for this reason alone. Beautiful classical architecture and gardens evoke the bygone era of imperial China.

I had lunch in their Dining Hall and it was simple and nutritious. However most come down to soak up the magnificent environs - the food is just a bonus!

Return to Wollongong Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nan Tien Temple closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2650 times since Aug 2007.