Namaste

• Vegetarian
Contact 2709-5554

Boulevard Artigas 1176 (at Canelones, Pocitos area), Montevideo, Uruguay,

Typical Uruguay cuisine turned vegetarian (lacto). No eggs, onion, or garlic used. At midday a dish-of-the-day is offered. Try the doblado Indonesia. Cozy, relaxed atmosphere.

Category: Lacto, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Uruguayan

First Review by estherweyl

Lovely Decor, Decent Food - Edit

The decor of this restaurant is reminiscent of that which you find often in Asia. Very relaxing and calm.

My meal started with fresh bread with a delicious dip. I ordered some ravioli stuffed with pumpkin. I liked the flavors, but felt the dish was way too heavy and dense for my taste. I think I ordered wrong, as the food other had looked great

Excellent - Edit

This is probably one of the best restaurants where I have been in my l'asta trips abroad. The owners and the people working there are nice, attentive and smiling, the atmosphere is relaxing, and the food is great - simple, fresh, well cooked.
Basically vegetarian with good Vegan options such as the sorrentinos ( just adored them).
Princes are moderate.
Absolutely recommended.

Pros: Fresh, well cooked food, Nice people, Laid back atmosphere

REALLY GREAT - Edit

The owners I assume? Or people who worked there were so friendly, welcoming, and kind! They offered us chivitos and made sure mine was vegan. The food was great, and the atmosphere was so serene and just a beautiful space. What a great meal. The vegan chivito was delicious especially with the sauces!

Pros: atmosphere, food quality and taste, the people who work there/owners

Cons: lack of option of salad on the side?

Un oasis en el pais de LA CARNE ;) - Edit

Veni a conocerlo con todo tu ser, no te vas a arrepentir. La experiencia tenés que vivirla. Nosotros te acompañamos en cada instante. La perfección eres tú, aquí se conjugan muchas cosas, en el sur de américa, los chivitos son lo mejor ..! namasté

Pros: buen precio, delicioso, atmosfera ideal

One of my vegan favorites in Montevideo - Edit

A cozy restaurant with a nice atmosphere and friendly staff. You can choose to sit at a table or on cushions on the floor, which makes the atmosphere much nicer! If you choose the second option, you have to take out your shoes!
This is a nice restaurant to go for a romantic dinner and the food is very tasty.
From time to time, they also organize shows (indian, brazilian music, etc) that you can enjoy while you eat.

Pros: cozy atmosphere, tasty food

Perfect!!! - Edit

The prices might not be the cheapest, but I think it's worth it because the food is really good, with really big servings, the service is impeccable, the place looks so beautiful and the atmosphere is very relaxing.

You get what you pay for :)

There's many vegan choices!

Only thing they could improve would be the desserts: they could have more vegan options than only fruit salad :/ But I didn't even get space in my stomach for that!

Pros: Relaxing atmosphere, Great food!, Big portions!

Cons: Could have more vegan desserts.

Very good food with a nice and attentive service - Edit

I was there on 15 Feb 2013, a Friday evening, with my girlfriend. At this day they only opened at 8:30pm. It was well attended, but not crowded, giving a nice atmosphere in the room with the chairs. If you feel like sitting on the floor in their other room, you could have a rather private dinner, no customer was using it at that time.
They don't label the vegan options in the menu, so you have to ask, and speak Spanish. But then they are very flexible to make a dish vegan, e.g. instead of mozzarella they'll use tofu for the chivito.
The chivito on a plate (260 pesos) was very good and I was happy to enjoy a traditional Uruguayan meal in a vegan version.
The doblado (215 pesos), my girlfriend had, was also very nice.
We also chose 10 small spring rolls (160 pesos) and a salad (200 pesos) as a starter.
Rather high prices, but also good quality and a very nice and attentive service, so absolutely recommended for a nice dinner in the evening.

Pros: Very good local specialties, Easy to find location, Very nice and attentive service

Cons: No English menu, Vegan food not labelled, Prices not for a daily visit

lucky - Edit

We were really going for another restaurant when we stumbled into this one. Only customers but tried 3 dishes. I think doblado/quesadilla without cheese was our favorite. Not a fan o tofu or seitan though. But we got to support this very nice effort

Pros: quesadilla, service, vegan options no problem

Cons: we like outside in the sun

Namaste - Edit

Very nice place but you are chraged for the silverware. I am not sure there is a way around not getting charged for this. There is one vegan option which is very excellent. If you are a travel on a budget this is not the place to go, but if money is not an option then check it out.

Pros: Expsensive

Namaste - we salute you - Edit

Namaste is the best vegetarian restaurant in Montevideo. There is a very nice atmosphere. You can sit on the floor in one sector, or just use chairs and tables in another one.
There is a "menu of the day", which is being updated every single day, at very convenient price. There are other dishes like "the doblados". My favourite one is the "doblado indonesia", wish is very tasty and nourishing.

Hope you can enjoy it too.

Pros: tasty, nice atmosphere, good quality of food

Cons: at night it only opens fridays and satur

A breath of fresh air in a country of meat - Edit

I found this oasis in Montevideo thanks to happy cow. I instantly fell in love. It an old town house with loads of charm and love put into every part of the interior and food. I came here for lunch and ended up coming for dinner too. Having healthy food again felt amazing and I ended up chatting to one of the staff for a couple of hours. If I lived in Montevideo i would visit this place all the time. You have a choice of tables with chairs or tables with cushons. The food is good, but the ambience is so chilled and relaxed, it wouldn`t have mattered if it wasn`t quite as good as it was (which was very good inddeed). So, yeah, you get the idea. I loved this place. I hope you do too.

Pros: Amazing ambience, Beautiful food, Good Value

Namaste - Edit

Montevideo is famous for its meat's dishes, so it is quite difficult to find a vegetarian restaurant here, especially a good one, but I got lucky - Namaste is an excellent restaurant and the street where it is located is very easy to find. The food is great and it is cooked accordingly to the yoga fundamentals - no garlic, onion... Moreover the environment is really nice, you feel like you are at home. I recommend Namaste for everyone that visits Uruguay, even the non vegetarian ones.

Return to Montevideo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Namaste closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2764 times since Jan 2009.